THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ruger Hawkeye African 458 Winchester Magnum DGR

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Hawkeye African 458 Winchester Magnum DGR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After working for the last couple of weeks on rebarrelling my Ruger Hawkeye African from my 404-375 Ruger wildcat I designed and used in Africa to 458 WM, I finally shot it today with a variety of test loads.

Although I already have a Ruger M-77 PF TS 458 WM, I have never been satisfied with the way it feeds cartridges, especially the CEB BBW#13 solids I prefer. It’s spotty. Thus, I decided to modify one of the Ruger #1 458 WM barrels I had on the bench to fit my Hawkeye action. Also modified the Rimrock stock to accommodate the heavier barrel. Finished weight for the ‘new’ Hawkeye 458 WM is 10 lbs 9 oz, with 3 in the mag and one in the chamber. Just right to make it portable and easy on the shoulder.

After today’s session I now feel that I have a true 458 WM DGR. Perfectly timed CRF feeding with the BBW #13s, quite controllable from the bench for testing and groups at 25 yds cutting holes. Not bad for a used barrel. It’ll need rebluing at some point but for now it gives the rifle character.

The longer mag box in the Hawkeye allows COAL up to 3.420”, though I settled on 3.380” with the BBW #13 450 grain solids I used in today’s initial test fire. MV ranged up to 2222 fps from the 24” barrel with very easy extraction and enough room in the case to push it further.

Final interesting finding today was the final firing. I had 2 left over cartridges from last year loaded with Barnes 500 grain solids and 74 grains AA-2230. MVs were 2295 & 2302 fps measured at 20 ft from the muzzle. COAL with these was shorter as they were originally loaded for the M-77’s PF TS shorter mag box. I’ll plan to try 1-2 grain less powder and 3.390” COAL next time with 500 grain CEB BBW #13 solids, as the MV is more than I expected and not the silky extraction of the 450 grain BBWs. I suspect this is loaded hotter than I want in a DG hunting load.

An interesting experiment so far. If the next couple of range sessions work out like this one, I’ll plan to take this rifle as the Zim backup in a few months. It’s turned out pretty good so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I like a heavy barrel for a little extra weight out front on a DG rifle.

Is that #1 barrel 24 inches?

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the old No. 1 barrel is 24”. I have placed enough lead shot in the buttstock to reach target weight and balance the rifle just in front of the trigger guard.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I carried a Whitworth 458 WM and it put shit down at 25 to 50 yards with Federal Premium ammunition

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Pictures - we need Pictures.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s my current project - the Ruger Hawkeye African 458 WM working DGR. It’s a Ruger Hawkeye African rebarreled with a used Ruger #1 458 WM barrel. The plan is to carry this rifle as part of a 2 gun battery in Zim this summer. The 2nd rifle is a Win M-70 Classic 460 G&A.

Current status, with pics below, was to get the rifle to operational DGR status. That is, flawless feeding and ejection with modern FP monolithic solids and accurate out to DG ranges. So, at present I’ve confirmed that it shoots accurately with both open irons and rear peep sight out to 25 yds, feeds and ejects reliably, and handles well in the Rimrock/Pacific Research stock I carried over from when this rifle was a 404-375 Ruger.

The exterior appearance is currently not pretty, but businesslike with past use in its prior life obvious. When I get back I’ll have the barreled action properly polished and reblued. Next task is to develop loads with the 500 gn CEB BBW #13 solids, aiming for 2150-2200 fps MV. Given the longer mag box of the Hawkeye, AA-2230 should get me there. Pushing the range out to 50 and 100 yds should complete the testing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You got the secret! 110% feeding, a flat nose 500 gr 458 soft or solid bullet at 2200 to 2400 FPS. Its always been right before our eyes!! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A follow up report on the 2 rifles which will make the Zim safari later this summer.

Usually custom rifles are selected for their exhibition walnut stocks, highly polished rust blued steel and adornments like engraving and carvings. Here are a couple of customs with a slightly different take.

Purpose built DGRs, especially for African Big Game - DG to us American hunters - are built for flawless function. Feeding the selected ammo and reliable follow ups are what counts. Here are a couple that fit that bill

The first one is a 458 Win Mag I built by rebarreling a Ruger African Hawkeye which had left the factory as a 375 Ruger, evolved into a rebored 404-375 Ruger wildcat used for Cape buffalo and PG in Mozambique and Zimbabwe. Along the way it left the wood stock and acquired a Borden Rimrock stock and finally was rebarreled with a Ruger No. 1 458 WM barrel. New 375 H&H follower, some magazine box tweaks and reconfiguring of the feed ramp and rails yielded a reliable CRF DGR. Loaded with CEB BBW #13 450 grain 0.458” monolithic brass FP solids at 2375 fps MV, it’s now Africa ready. It’s well traveled and well worn, but reliable and definitive.

The second is a little different. Purpose built as a working DGR by Gene Simillion, this one started out as a Win M-70 Classic 300 Win Mag. Rebarreled with a Douglas 5A 0.458” barrel, action tuned for reliable feeding and extraction, fitted with Gene’s own 4 round magazine box, follower and spring, it’s now a 460 G&A. A wildcat DG cartridge designed by Tom Siatos in the 1990s, it’s based on a 404 Jeffery case with shoulder advanced a bit, minor decrease in case taper, case length 2.800” and necked to shoot 0.458” bullets from any LA which can accommodate a COAL of 3.6”, it’ll easily duplicate the ballistic performance of a 458 Lott or 450 Rigby Rimless in a trim package. The stock is a factory Win M-70 SG walnut stock with good but not spectacular grain. Bedded in place, with a barrel recoil lug, it easily handles 500 grain bullets at 2350 fps MV. The epitome of a working DGR, without fanfare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember when the Hawkeye first appeared.
Cal was .256, pistol was a Ruger Blackhawk with a rotating block instead of the cylinder.
Strange how people keep using the same name for something totally different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate historical citation to the original use of the Hawkeye label by Ruger. Brand extension is a reality with companies although it usually leverages a past commercial success. IMO this is quite the reverse.

The pistol was an oddity while the Hawkeye rifles represent a success for Ruger. Unfortunately they were not offered as CRF in 458 WM. That niche was reserved for the M-77 PF. An unusual misreading of the market by Ruger IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Developed a load I’ll use in Zim in July. It’s the CEB BBW#13 450 grain monolithic FP at 2400 FPS with a load of AA-2230 from the 24” No. 1 barrel. Here’s an example of the results at 25 yds

The rifle is consistently accurate with this load and easy to shoot. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well the project has turned out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of slick-looking rifles.

What are you hunting in Zim?

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of tuskless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
l had to modify a Sako 75/V bolt to allow the CEB brass solids to function correctly.
l emailed CEB, but have not received a reply to date.
Reading recently in one of Terry Weiland's books, he makes mention of the brass solids having issues in some actions.
l'm glad to see you cured your problems, and hope you enjoy your hunt when it comes.

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By gosh, that should work for a dyed in the wool wildcater searching for the Holy Grail..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finished final firing prep today for both rifles and shooter. The Ruger Hawkeye 458 WM is firing the CEB BBW #13 450 grain SS FP bullet with a load of AA-2230 at 2400 fps and has the Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 MOA Ring reticle scope as the primary sight. Backup is the Hawkeye open iron sight.

The Win M-70 Classic 460 G&A shoots the CEB BBW #13 500 gn SS FP bullet at 2400 fps and is fitted with the Holosun 530G mounted on a modified Warne steel front base secured by 8-40 screws as the primary sighting system. Backup is the Safari Express RS from Numrich and an NECG FS. A Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 is the final backup on Warne steel rings on bases secured with 8-40 screws.

So far all systems have held together through the final couple of range firing sessions.

Report on field performance will follow next month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have built a lot of custom purpose built rifles both nice looking and beaters.
One of my best purchases was a very nice Browning Safari grade long extractor 458 Win Mag. 15-20 yrs ago.
I have had the good fortune to have experience of hand loading for 50 yrs.
I had a mercury tube installed in the but stock and a pachyderm decelerator attached.
Glassed in the action and tuned the trigger.
The damn rifle swings like a bird gun and shoots like a target rifle and reasonably weighed.
Probably do not have $2K in the gun.
If there was a limiting factor it holds 3 down in the magazine.
No issue meeting +2150 FPS with a 500 gr pill and and 2230.
Approaching 2300 with a 450.
Actually exceptional cartridge with todays powders.
Good choice on your selection.
About to finish a CZ 550 project in 458 Lott. Not certain there is good reason other than I wanted too...

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote