New
Find
Notify
Tools

A wealth of buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please go to https://ngruma.com/2016/08/16/a-wealth-of-buffalo/ for lots of photos and see complete post images!

OK, before anyone piles on, a proper buffalo is what the client prefers. As long as it is mature, heavy, wide, deep drops or shallow, scrum or dugga boy, a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. With that said please read on and feel free to comment!

Word via email and a photo of a forty-six inch buff arrived at eight thirty this morning. They found him again, near dark last evening, and a hasty photo was snapped. A thirty-seven inch hard bossed buffalo was taken, also a hippo, and the search for jumbo continued. Herds of buff over four hundred strong were sighted, along with multiple herds of zebra numbering many times that of the buff. Thirty-seven separate lions were sighted, along with three males that would give the MGM cat a contest for the best hairdresser award. Unfortunately the cats were all on the Botswana side of the river. Game was everywhere and in good variety.

The morning progressed through the usual chores, lunch, the afternoon nap, and then around five we went out to check the solar panels about fifteen kilometers from camp near the park border. We never made it. Less than six hundred meters from camp we ran smack into a gang of buffalo over one hundred and forty strong. They were strung out, feeding over nearly half a kilometer.

They were also the dumbest buff I've ever seen. Standing politely in the dusty haze generated by their movements, they posed like dairy cattle from twenty to forty meters away. As we proceeded driving through the herd, the reaction was the same, stand and stare. No monsters here, but some really good hard bossed bulls from thirty-seven to forty inches found in groups. One particular bull, about thirty-eight wide, I would've shot in a heart beat if I was able. Deep drops, big hooks, and oh, such a boss! The boss was easily eighteen inches plus, and the horns nice and tight in the middle. All is not width in buff hunting, but like the old idiom states, "You pays your money, you takes your choice," it is up to each hunter what constitutes a 'dream' bull.

Today we are again looking at a herd of about forty-five buffalo, including one great bull. He has everything, big hard boss, deep curls, good spread of forty inches plus. The hunter from forty yards away elects to pass. We continue on to find a half-dozen dugga boys resting in the shade, another half dozen on the edge of a swampy area full of hippo. Some very good bulls, but again nothing to excite the hunter.

Elephant are everywhere, ditto hippo and kudu, lechwe, impala, and more warthogs than I have ever encountered in one place. Herds of the porcine critters numbering 10 – 18 were present in nearly every patch of new green grass from the recent fires. Tomorrow would bring the final day’s attempt at finding a buff to suit this hunter.

The morning began inauspiciously enough, a short drive on the tar road, then an arduous bump and grind across burnt reeds pocked with the cement hard footprints marking the passing of a thousand elephants, for over thirty minutes.

A herd of buff sixty strong is sighted and he is there. Forty-five inches of glorious buff. The hunter nods his approval and a short stalk to within eighty yards begins, and the hunt is then over.

Bye the bye, Omujeve Hunting Safaris (not an advertisement, just the truth here guys) has now taken 7 bulls exceeding forty inches in this still young season. 40.5, 41, 42, 2 @ 43, 45, and the new Namibian record at 47 inches. One of the 43’s had a true 18+” boss and drops to die for with long rear sweeping tips, he will measure very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive.

Which area in Caprivi?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the buff are from Namibia. There are 3 areas in the Caprivi, Mashi, one area near Chobe I cannot spell, and another on the east side 2 blocks over from Mudum NP. The big one (record) is from Waterbury. Some really great wild buff in some great hunting country!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK the one I can't spell is Nakabolelwa, it is the correct spelling. There is a good map on Omujeve's website @ http://omujevehuntingsafaris.c...essions/concessions/ Sorry for the incomplete answer previous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buffalo no doubt! Thanks for the pictures and information.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Impressive horns on all three.
Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

I think all buffalo are trophies. My only regret in my one buffalo hunt is now I want to do more. Going from plains game hunting addiction to buffalo hunting is like going from a coke to crack. Smiler

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see too many big bulls that have reached their spread by about 3 or 4 years old and they are big, big, but they are young and the bosses are still soft...someone shot a bull that should have been left to mature IMO...Too much is put on spread alone these days..Ive passed on bulls that were past 40 inches because you could have shaved the hair between the bosses. If this practice continues, we will all be shooting smaller and smaller bulls, they have to have time to grow and mature. I lived my life to hunt buffalo, Im a buffalo fanatic, I would pass up a 100 lb. elephant to shoot a fully mature 50 inch buff. I have shot some wonderful mature bulls in my lifetime but my African days have about come to a close as age takes its toll, maybe I have one more trip, we'll see.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
The blurred pictures is a sad commentary on the times. Maybe no people would be better or just the ph.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote