New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Hunter Magazine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will wonders ever cease? I received my March/April issue of the African Hunter Magazine, yesterday. The postage indicates that it was sent from South Africa. It went to Hungary and was shipped to me from Hungary. A year to get to me, Pretty shabby postal service.I got notice from the African Hunter Magazine on this site that they would be suspending publishing the magazine because of the financial morass in Zimbabwe. They did say that it may be possible to resume printing in June. Along that line, I have had lots of trouble in the past and most recently with my African Outfitter Magazine. Even the replacement issues were lost. Neels fixed the problem by taking the two missing issues to SCI and mailing the magazines from Las Vegas to me. The folks at African Outfitter are most accommodating in making sure that you receive your magazine

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I received mine electronically through an ap on my iPhone named Magzster. It auto renewed recently even though they are no longer printing the magazine. No luck on a refund so far. Auto renew is now off ( did not know it was on in the first place).

The last issue on the electronic format is March-April of 2017.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had problems with Magzster before. African Hunter is the reason I subscribed to the service.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I subscribed to African Hunter last summer after enjoying the magazine while in Zim last May. Don't suppose I will ever see an issue.

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My AH arrived in the mail about a week ago and it is a nice looking issue with some interesting articles and many nice pix.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the March/April 2017 issue, not the 2018 issue. I still have ten issues left on my subscription. Two of the editors of African Hunter Magazine both occasionally post here: Ant Williams and Ira J. Larivers. Hopefully, either of them can shed further light on this matter for us. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd let my subscription lapse and they've stopped attending the shows. If Ant's out there, put up some information on how to subscribe. It's a great magazine.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that they are not publishing any more at this point. They ceased July 2017 awaiting the political situation/economy to resolve.

I was writing a feature for every issue, and was told they will look at the situation in April and decide whether to start back up or not. I hope so!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hope that African Hunter is able to resume printing. I got my hands on some old issues and it's really interesting to see what has changed and what hasn't!

I had no idea John Sharp did ads for Courteney boots 20 years ago! I thought that was a recent thing!

HHK was getting glowing reviews and had a young PH named Ivan Carter working for them.

The magazine was full of great articles by Don Heath (Ganyana). I wish that man was still with us. What a fountain of knowledge and experience.

This is my favorite hunting magazine. A little bit of everything with honest articles on everything from butterflies to a recipes for impala pot roast.

I'm smiling just looking at these back issues.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I will visit the AH and Ant in August of this year. I hope to return with some good news.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Does not look good to me gentlemen. The last post on their Facebook page 6/30/2017, and the link to their website listed (africanhunteronline.com) says that the domain name expired 1/14/18 and is pending renewal or deletion (the cost to renew for multi-years is under $100).

What I find very disappointing is that it appears that there has been no formal notification to their paying subscribers. I would have expected an email, or at least a post on their social media site.

Their old stuff was fantastic, I have many copies that I look back on periodically. Shame things change.

I too miss Don Heath.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I got an email saying it was temporarily not publishing but hoped to resume this summer. It was around the time of the whole Mugabe being forced out thing.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote