Find
Notify
Tools

sharing a camp
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
I've just got back from a hunt in Botswana and as I was dropping my clients off at Pietersburg Airport in RSA, I met two real nice American hunters who had just finished a hunt with a certain safari company who shall remain nameless. It seems the these guys had bought a hunt at auction and when they got there they found that they were sharing their camp with sixteen, yes, sixteen other hunters! It must have been more like a hotel than a hunting camp. They were a lot more relaxed about the situation than I would have been under the same circumstances.

So guys, don't forget to get a detailed safari contract before you book any African hunt. I don't know if they're members of this forum as I didn't have time to ask, but hopefully they are and hopefully they'll post something of their hunt. (which incidentally resulted in their getting the animals they wanted)

one of us
posted Hide Post
In most successfully ran scam's there needs to be an element of greed on the part of the victim/client in order to be successful. Remember that anytime you try to buy a auctioned hunt for 10-50 cents on the dollar.

Sometime you get what you pay for!

Most people that buy rotten hunts will never tell many people about their ordeal. This only allows this type of marketing to go on for ever.

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We met another hunter in our camp one night as he was flying out the next day He was a fine fellow but we always insist on having the camp to ourselves. As a general rule you go to africa to meet animals not people. Seems like a small thing until you meet a moron who can ruin a hunt.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Somehow an African safari just wouldn't be the same if it were run like a caribou camp. There are several outfits that do run them this way. They employ one PH to set all the hunters out in blinds for the day and the PH goes back to camp for a siesta. Nothing more than an assmebly line.

I cringe when I run into people who experienced Africa this way.

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the things I insist on. No other hunters or guests.
Last year, we had a three-some of hunters arrive a day early, so they over-nighted with us as we were leaving the next day. This just reminded me how much I detest the situation.

They howled and drank until midnight.

We will be the only ones in camp, or find another camp.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I basically hunt alone and prefer it that way. The exception to that is hunting with my son. I have shared camps in the US and Canada and have never had a good experience. The others in camp may have felt the same about me who knows.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
So what should a person do who arrives in camp to find 10 other hunters? You can't just tell them to leave and you're already thousands of miles from home.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Who in Botswana has the quota to have 16 hunters in a season, much less at one time? They must have been on a really limited bag hunt.

One of the top 5 rules for a successful and enjoyable safari is to never share a camp. Too much is at stake to take the risk.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd rather not have any other guests in camp, either. The last time I hunted Africa where there were other clients in camp, I made it a point to avoid them as much as possible.

I mistrust most auction hunts, and most deals that appear to be too good to be true from a financial standpoint. Those sixteen or eighteen hunters found no bargain in that deal...

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
[
I mistrust most auction hunts, and most deals that appear to be too good to be true from a financial standpoint. Those sixteen or eighteen hunters found no bargain in that deal...

AD

I refuse to buy any auction hunt. I have found out that after I have been screwed by the "small print", it is cheaper to just buy a hunt. THEN , I can make sure I am the only ones in camp.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

It was my clients and I who had been hunting in Botswana (Tuli Block). The other guys had been hunting an area on the RSA side of the border.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Duh, Never mind.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In about 20 years of hunting Africa, I have only hunted one 2x1 hunt,but with a guy I knew well, and had hunted Alaska with, and two, as back-up for another friend on his elephant hunts. He had two Buffalo on license on each hunt, but cared nothing for them. The PH said he didn't care who shot them, as long as the trophy fee was paid. I took four buffalo on those two hunts for observer day fee + trophy fees! Now that was a deal, and I got to back-up my friend on a 70 lb ele, as well. On all others I have hunted alone 1X1, and a couple times we had folks from other camps,by the same safari company, up river, visit us for supper, and I stopped in for lunch with them one day. These were people I knew, so it was enjoyable. I don't think I'd take kindly to arriving in camp, and finding I was at a class reunion, or convention, however!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry that so many wish to hunt alone. If that's your desire, fine, but I have met some of the finest people (most became long time friends) in hunting camp. Our first (my wife and I) was our honeymoon in a bear/caribou camp on Sandy River down the Aleutian peninsula. Mel Gillis' Alaska Trophy Hunting. Each guide had his own get powered boat or tent & equipment for "spike camp" as he and his clients desired. We covered miles and miles of river and tundra each day. Never did we see the other hunters or their camp. Each evening just at dark we'd straggle in and enjoy a hot meal, some of the best lies, and a shot or two. One evening we just set the video camera in the corner and turned it on. Still great footage for Camille and me.

On our first African Safari, there were our friends, and their nightly stories, occasionally traveling PH's would come through with their clients in tow. They were after the two animals in good quality and supply at our concession, the stories were again wonderful. The only other guests we got to know well were Noel Wolf and his partner. Those of you who've been posting here since 2000 will no doubt remember the issue of Noel's being gored by a Buffalo.

I would hate to be in hunting camp alone. Admittedly I wouldn't want someone hunting directly in front of or behind me, but otherwise, another american or at least english speaking guest in camp merely adds to the charm.

Sorry so many others feel differently.

Safe Hunting

Clint

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have twice shared a camp. On my first hunt I shared the first 3 days with 4 Italians who were hunting elephant. Actually I believe I shared their camp as they were there first and I was the one who moved. We never crossed paths, except for meals, and I enjoyed their company. On my lhunt a journalist came in the night before we left. He was quite cordial and was good company. Having said this, I'd rather not share a camp for the entire, or majority, of the hunt. A few days would be fine. I've found that most hunters a good company for a few days.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Once on a short buffalo package hunt I shared a camp with two other hunters. We each had our own PH, and only saw the other hunters while in camp, but they exemplified the opposite extremes of the spectrum.

One hunter was from England, and was a perfect gentleman. He was very enjoyable to share a camp with, and I would have been happy to do so again.

The other hunter and his wife were from Canada, and he could not have been more different from the English hunter. He was loud, obnoxious, and missed no opportunity to run down anything concerning the US when talking to me or around me. After one particularly memorable rant by this guy my PH came up to me and said "Jim, I don't know how you kept from punching that guy in the mouth". Now, before you jump to any conclusions about my attitude concerning Canadiens, let me tell you that I have been married to one for 33 years, and a nicer person you could not find (now her mother is a different matter, but then aren't most mother-in-laws ).

Even though this was a shared camp, the hunting results were great. This is the hunt where I took the nice buffalo in my signature photo. Maybe it was payback for having to put up with the loudmouth .

On three other occasions I took hunting friends along (once as 1x1, and twice as 2x1), and all turned out great, but this is not the same as sharing a camp with someone that you have never met like the above situation.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think of 10 people that you would hate to stuck on a deserted island with.

Now........ if you share a camp, 9 of the 10 will be there.

nuf said.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've done about every type you can do.. from rounding up my 8 best buds and going bear hunting in Alberta to a 1x1 in Tanzania. This past year I went 2x1 with 1115, who posts here. I wouldn't have missed his first safari for anything in the world. His companionship in camp and most particularly, getting to share the hunt for his first buffalo made the trip... particularly since some other things went belly-up.

After we finished hunting for 1115's buffalo, we met a bunch of folks from our local area in an RSA camp. I believe, including us, we had ten altogether. It made for some interesting times at dinner and the campfire, but was really more like a fraternity party for old men than a safari...

All that said, I hope to hunt the Selous in August of next year with 1115 (this time I get the first buffalo!) and maybe even have the camp graced by the President of the Georgia .404 Jeffery Shooters Society (and adjunct member of the Double Rifle Shooters Society)... our own Mbogo375. I think he'll do it if he just quits seeking the Holy Grail (i.e., a lion)... but we're working on that!

Have I been dumped on before...

How about this?

I arrived in a camp in a "French" part of the world and when supper time came, out of the rondavals came three, very drunk and loud-mouthed Frenchmen, each with his own personal whore... I chose to eat elsewhere.... it was the first time I wished I didn't speak French... and luckily they left after one more day. I really couldn't blame my P.H. because I had arrived a day early and he had "reserved" the camp for just me for specific dates.. I wonder what those guys took home to their wives?

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a large group yearly in Colorado and love every minute of it. This is old hunting buddies, son and grandson. Much comradrie is shared and enjoyed by all and we are hunting on our own. We bring back from 15 to 20 Elk each year and helping your buddy is the rule of the day after you make your kill. I also hunt Alaska occasionaly and generaly that is a paid hunt, mostly alone, although a brother-in-law, son, grandson, or close buddy will also work. When I pay for a hunt I want the outfitter and guide to cater to me or mine and get us the best animal possible. ----- I am about to hunt Africa for the first time alone and hope to have a camp to myself, a new grandchild prevented son from going on this hunt, and grandpa barely survived the need to stay for the occasion. I trust the outfitter and PH, both Pierre van Tonder in this case, will provide as much intertainment as I can stand hunting Buffalo and five other plains game. I don't need extensive intertainment each night after a long day of hunting. A good meal and a shot of good old Ky Bourbon will do just fine. I don't mind sharing a camp with kin or friends that I carefully pick. Nothing spoils a hunt like one asshole that you have to nursemaid from start to finish. In conclusion, I pick carefully those I group hunt with, otherwise a lone hunt with the professional hired to provide his expertise and friendship are more than enough to please this hunter. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
phurley:

You will really be taken care of by Pierr'e. He has a great self-depreciating wit and has wonderful stories to tell. None of them about me are true, especially about the South African Rednecks Jacko Shooting Society ... or... my going to sleep when everybody else is digging out a stuck vehicle... or....

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been a wide range of responses so it seems to come down to a persons like of crowds. Some thrive in it and others are turned off.

For those who may not like such a crowd and have not experianced it beware.

One camp that would have been really bad was when I got invited to a rented farm in Maine for deer hunting. I knew one of the guys but not the other three. At the time opening day was on Saturday and there is no hunting on Sunday in ME. That meant party time to the others. It really got out of hand Saturday night and I was lucky to not have car pooled so I took off the next morning and left the place to them. I had been lucky and got my buck Saturday.

That was a bad scene with high school behavior that I never liked anyway.

A friend went to an established camp out of the country with more than one bunk house. The conversation and ambiance in the other house seemed fine but it was roudy and abusive in his.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharing a camp can be good or it can be bad. However, when it is bad it is really bad! I imagine that all those hunters were from seperate groups. So how many groups of hunters were there? That is what really changes the dynamics. I have met some great people sharing a camp. I have also met some real assholes who had no regard for anyone or anything. If it were say 2 groups of 2 people it probably would be a good experience unless you were unlucky enough to draw the joker from the deck. Truthfully, I prefer to be by myself. I usually spend most of my time with the locals even when I am with a group. I enjoy their company and like to learn as much about the culture language etc as I can. You just cant do that with a large group. I will bet there were some very surprised hunters in that camp. I wont comment on the outfitter. They are more than likely going to get what is coming to them soon anyway.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOA.?

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote