Notify
Tools

SA-Baboon robs tourist in Cape
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Baboon robs tourist in Cape

January 01 2006 at 03:01PM

A bag-snatching baboon accosted a woman, causing her to fall and break her arm in the Table Mountain National Park this week.

Virginia Spencer-Smith was walking along a cliff path towards a parking lot, carrying a small backpack, which did not contain food.

"Suddenly, I was pulled back over the rocks. I heard my sister-in-law shout 'give him the bag'."

Spencer managed to get one shoulder strap off as the baboon dragged her by her bag.

"It started pulling my things out of the bag. My brother and a tourist walked up to the animal and the baboon ran off with my sarong and iron tablets. Luckily he left my cellphone, purse and house keys," she said.

"I had no idea it wasn't a good idea to carry a backpack, there should be signs warning people about carrying backpacks. When we left we saw the baboon running full tilt towards a couple on the beach, he stole their bag too," she said.

In another incident in the nature reserve, a young boy was standing with his back to a baboon, when the animal grabbed him by his T-shirt. The boy had neither food nor bag, said an eye witness.

Acting park manager Gavin Bell said all visitors were given brochures warning them about the baboons. He said the brochure detailed how the baboons were attracted by plastic packets, bags and backpacks.

Bell said signs were dotted around the park, but they could not erect too many as it would ruin the wild, remote feeling of the park, "that makes visitors come back".

He said since the baboon troop at the Cape Point section had minders who herd them away from the point, instances with people and baboons were down 95 percent.

"We will introduce extra minders to make sure that particular baboon stays with the herd," said Bell.

Regarding the baboon that grabbed the child, Bell said he had never heard of such contact between baboons and people, without food involved.

Rangers would watch the troop to establish if this is a pattern with that animal, and if it is, the baboon would be destroyed, he said.

"We take people's safety very seriously," Bell said. - Sapa

This article was originally published on page 5 of Tribune on January 01, 2006

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Cattle prods!

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot! Cures thieves of all species...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
One year we drove from Cape Town to Hermanus. We stopped at a scenic overlook. Aggressive baboons were everywhere. We immediately got back in the car and left.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
Cattle prods!

A "2-iron" will do the trick also......and it's easier to import into RSA! Wink

Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Baboons are smart. You shoot just a couple of them ... they will learn.

Trust me they will learn.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a group of students who had a big male at Cape Point jump into the car. Needless to say that the students jumped "out" of the car - which the baboon only vacated after stealing all of the chocolate.....

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Seversal years ago we were visitng Cape Point and walking along the beach. A group of German tourists drove up in a VW Van, set up their lunch bags on a picnic table and walked to the beach. Bam, next thing they knew, the baboons were munching their lunches perched on the rocks surrounding the area. Quite humorous to see a baboon hoilding and eating a large Italian roll.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote