Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Other than it is a few years out; who would you all recommend. It will be me and my eldest daughter.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shona Hunting Adventures

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Progress Safaris.

Mike Kibble has a great concession in the Caprivi and a huge ranch south of Windhoek.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shona Hunting Adventures, the Lodge and hunting area are Magic!

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend Jan du Plessis at Sebra Safaris. After the hunt you can rent a car and visit Etosha, Damaraland, and the Skeleton Coast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KOWAS in Namibia.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ask me at the end of next year. I am trying to figure it out for 2016.

I might go in November and suffer the heat this year though.

Wife is pregnant and we are moving this year, so no dice until we are in a house.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll will also suggest Shona for all the reasons above, plus they can ccordinate other activities if of interest. We did some fishing on the coast prior to our hunt, then a couple of days after the hunt, in Etosha, all arranged thru Johann and Vera which by the way are a super host and hostess. The only disappointment I have is not being able to go back sooner.....

In general Namibia is a great country !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll 3rd Kowas...great outfit!

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Key question is whether your daughter is already a hunter or can use a course in firearms handling and hunting? If that is the case send me a PM and I'll recommend a place.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll 3rd Kowas...great outfit!

Make that 4 of us. Kowas is first rate.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been to four different Namibian hunting farms, but the only one I have visited twice is Omatako Hunting Trails. Good hunting, good food, good company.

Posts: 19 | Location: Norway | Registered: 26 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Johann and Shona Hunting Adventures. My wife and I did our honeymoon with Johann and Vera and had a wonderful time. Hunting is phenomenal and they can arrange lots of touring activities as well. I posted our honeymoon safari report a few years ago and it can give you a good idea of the non-hunting activities that are available.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Progress Safari
Mike Kibble
+1
We hunted with him and his Dad. Good people in a family setting.

Posts: 746 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I had a wonderful hunt with Johann and Shona Hunting Adventures.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for? Depending on species and desired experience, I would recommend any of the following: Kowas, Jamy Traut, or Toby Englebrecht.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
If you are going to pay the higher prices of Namibia, then you should expect to get something you can't (or at least probably won't) get in RSA -- doing all your hunting on one large piece of land. Lots of places in Namibia will advertise having a lot of land, but when it gets down to the details, the acreage they quote is the total of a number of smaller plots. Make a list of the species you want and then ask each outfitter if they will get you all of these on one piece of land, and how large it is. It should be at least 50,000 acres.

Also, Namibia is noted for good prices on giraffe and availability of mountain zebra, I'd be sure to take one of each there.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Lots of places in Namibia will advertise having a lot of land, but when it gets down to the details, the acreage they quote is the total of a number of smaller plots.

IMO you just described RSA to a "T". I found the properties in Namibia much, much larger than RSA, and often time are low fenced, which you almost never see in RSA.

I very much agree that a mountain zebra is a must.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I have to second Dale's recommendation of Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris. I've posted extensive Hunting Reports here on AR about my August 2012 and May 2013 hunts. I'll be hunting with Jan again this June. Not only is the hunting outstanding, but the food that Jan's wife Marieje cooks is world class. It's pretty close to Etosha and Jan offers day trips as well as overnight trips to this awesome National Park. PM me if you have any questions.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
http://www.okosongoro.com.na/home.html

I hunted with Peter Clausen, the owner of Okosongoro. He is one of the original hunting ranches in Namibia and the the first to have Black Rhino and Elephant on his land. He had the largest herds of Sable and Roan at one time, and maybe still does. He goes to the SCI show every year and I've hung out with him several times after the show. Most of the Nabimia outfitters are all buddies and they all get together. For me, having hunted with Peter, it was fun hearing them all talk about their operations and comparing animals and clients.

There are a lot of great outfitters in Namibia. Probably more good ones to choose from then bad ones. Most do not own the land they are hunting on, it's owned by somebody in Europe and they have a long term lease. Most do not have huge ranches to hunt on and they rely on getting new animals from the auctions in SA and other places to keep their stock up.

Okosongoro had 30,000 acres high fenced when I was there, plust another 45,000 acres low fence to hunt on. I went to Namibia because it's where you have the best chance at a 50 inch Kudu and also plenty of great Gemsbok. The other animals where also plentiful and we had plenty to choose from. Half the animals I shot where low fence.

Food, accommodations, trophy care and beautiful countryside is all there, but I'm sure it is with most of the others. From the ones I met hanging out with Peter, it sure sounded like it.

Eddie

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's the first I've heard that the large game ranches of Namibia buy stock for their places. I thought it was all natural.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Joof Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia twice & I think he has over 50,000 acres high fenced.
He owns the land & manages it so that he does not have to buy animals anymore, they are at this point all self sustaining.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
Most of the game animals where killed off by the cattle ranchers. When some of them decided to become outfitters and fence off their land, they only had a limited number of animals to offer, so they went shopping to get breeding herds started. After awhile, with some additional purchases, they got to the point where they don't need to anymore. Some, like Peter, are still trying to get new species established. He tried several times with Nyala, but they just don't do well there.

In my opining, South Africa and Namibia land owners who got rid of their cattle and went back to native animals, plus a few exotics is why we can enjoy hunting today!!!

Eddie

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Ask me at the end of next year. I am trying to figure it out for 2016.

I might go in November and suffer the heat this year though.

Wife is pregnant and we are moving this year, so no dice until we are in a house.

We moved both times wife was pregnant at month 7!

Thanks all.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Lots of places in Namibia will advertise having a lot of land, but when it gets down to the details, the acreage they quote is the total of a number of smaller plots.

IMO you just described RSA to a "T". I found the properties in Namibia much, much larger than RSA, and often time are low fenced, which you almost never see in RSA.

I very much agree that a mountain zebra is a must.

Definitely for mountain zebra; preferably in the Khomas Hochland.......great hunt. And have a rifle that can reach out a bit; I shot my first one at just under 400 yards with a 300 RUM.

And oryx in the red dune country of the Kalahari!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote