New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Buffalo Lessons
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally read the book _Nyati_ by the staff of _African Hunter_. Author Allan contributed a bit of humor in the story of one character named Boffel Smiff learning the ropes as a citizen hunter in Zim.

Boffel and his buddy came up with six lessons for posterity, "Rules of Engagement":

1. You must only try to out-run lions when you are surrounded by sturdy, tall, thornless trees!

2. Never ever, ever shoot at a sleeping buffalo!

3. Always reload your magazine as soon as you can safely do so.!

4. Always allow some time to pass before following up wounded buffalo if you cannot actually see the animal (gives it time to book out!).

5. The most important lesson in buffalo campaigning: All dead buffalo bite; so double check by shooting them a few more times. This is absolutely 100% imperative! Do not break rule number five!

6. Rump and left ear shots are not fatal, so get your shots right!

I was laughing out loud at 35,000 feet reading this book on the aeroplane today. Didn't mind the fat guy elbowing me in the next seat nor the brat kicking my seat from behind.

This book will upgrade any flight to first class.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boffel has come on a long way since his old hunting companion, Alan Fraser-Bell wrote up those stories! He was one of the two hevies taking out Craig Boddington for the DVD "Boddington on Buffalo" last year!

Glad you enjoyed the book

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to get a copy. Last time I tried to order it from AH they were out of stock. Anybody know where to order one?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dhunter

I ordered Nyati in March 04 and got it in November 04.
Thousand times worth the waiting.

Nail the book to your night table. All my friends are belly-dancing to borrow it, even the non-English readers. Big Grin

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nyati is back in stock - printed and posted from South Africa now although I belive that about 500 were shiped to the states for distribution from there. Try emailing Jacqui on fishunt@zol.co.zw

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I picked up a copy at the Houston Convention and have not been able to put it down. A great read!! The guys from African Hunter are a pleasure to talk with as well.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Another thrilling and humerous book I have just received is A GUIDING SON, by JOHN OSBORNE.

It is absolutely hilarious as he recalls hunting safaris with various clients from all over the world.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68644 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote