New
Find
Notify
Tools

STICKING TO THE SAME PH.
 Login/Join

<geoff devine-jones>
posted
It would be interesting to hear the view of some of you DG hunting veterans on the pro's and cons of using the same PH.

<George Hoffman>
posted
This may be coming the back door to your question, however, I have had clients to go as many as four times with myself and some have called in the past months asking, If I was going to return to Africa, indicating they wanted to go again. Once you build a repore with your client or Prof. Hunter, you have a known and is much easier to progress.
If a client is willing to hunt the same areas
and for the same game it is good to stay with the one you like. I had it pretty good for many years, as I hunted several different
countries, therefore my clients could follow me around and hunt different countries for a varied game. Many long lasting friendships
are made this way. There is something about spentind 3 weeks under triumphs disappointments,and facing charges together that brings a closer bond. Somewhat like soldiers go thru battles together. It is hard to describe in print, but those who have shared this will understand.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

Just to add to what our friend George said, I have hunted 10 times with the same PH, and have no wish to change at all.

I have hunted with two other PHs on one occasion, and would gladly hunt with either of them again. I have also shared a hunting camp with several other PHs.

I think the PH, or at least the ones I have personaly met, would bend backwards to make sure a client have a good hunt.

This applies just as well to those few clients who are nothing short of obnoxious.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67338 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<geoff devine-jones>
posted
George,Saeed,

I have hunted Africa(Zim) on three trips, the last two being wih the same PH. No complaints, in fact he more than justified his considerable reputation as being one of the best.
However, campfire talk, and conversations with other hunters back home threw up the opininon that to change PHs was similar to hunting new areas, ie.. different styles of hunting, different experiences, campfire talk, opinions etc..
Like I said, I lack the experience, and would like to hear the views of the veterans.
Geoff.

posted Hide Post
The inclination to visit again with new found friends is very strong and easily understood but, as George mentioned, had he not been able to alter the venue by hunting different areas and countries, the number of repeat clients would likely be fewer. I fight the impulse to hunt the same areas for the same game, despite how much I may have enjoyed the first hunt. Africa is a vast and fascinating place. No one hunter or area can offer all and the average chap has only so many opportunities to hunt Africa. I want to see as much as possible of the countries that interest me before giving in to emotion and revisiting places I've been. This is often a difficult thought process but, so far, I have stuck to it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I would be very, very happy to hunt again with every PH I've ever been on safari with, and I hope to do just that in the years to come. If you choose your Professional Hunter well, you'll have a great safari and you'll build a solid and enduring friendship that you'll treasure for the rest of your life.

The trouble I have is this mental list of new countries that I want to hunt, which precludes rebooking with previous PHs I've been out with - at least for the time being.

AD

posted Hide Post
I have done repeat hunts with the same PH and areas on three ocasions. The PH and I hit it off on day one and became fast friends and we remain so today, even though he no longer works as a PH and I haven't been back in 5 years!
I think if you find happiness in an area as well as a PH it just makes sense to go back. I have also found that "repeaters" seem to get "perks" the one timers never hear about!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
100% John. And these truths are what make such decisions so difficult, not to mention the email and letters from the good people of hunts past inquiring as to when they'll be seeing you again.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<geoff devine-jones>
posted
John,
Your remark about 'perks' is so true.
I see a lot of sense in what Nickudu says about hunting different areas, Africa being such a large and varied place.
Nick, what was Swainsons/Dande like? It would be most interesting hearing the opinion of someone who is not an employee or has a vested interest.
Cheers,
Geoff.

<J Brown>
posted
I am not a veteran but I will put in my two cents anyway.

I decided to hunt with Hermann Redeker on his ranch again this year. My reasons for deciding to make my second African hunt with the same Ph as I had for my first were:

I hit it off with Hermann from the time we met and by the time I left felt like part of the family.

I can more easily afford to hunt with him again as his prices are better than most.

His ranch "Natalia" holds a very special place in my memories. Hermann is going retire from cattle ranching and is going to relocate to a less expensive ranch where he can make a living just by guiding a handful of hunters each year. I know I will kick myself if I let my last chance to hunt Natalia slip through my hands.

Jason

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
If I return to Zim this year or any year it will always be with the same PH. Why because I had a grand time. I am sure at some point I will want to hunt someplace else. Of course the booking agent has a solution, when I leave Zim I can go to RSA or Namibia for plains game.

To bad my wallet does not agree.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
<J Brown>
posted
BigB

I don't understand the last part of you post. Was your hunt in Zim cheaper than SA and Namibia?

Who did you book through and how much did your hunt cost?

Jason