THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Color Lines: Inside the Movement to Change the Face of the African PH

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Color Lines: Inside the Movement to Change the Face of the African PH
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Did anyone get a chance to read this Outdoor Life article? The original story ran in May 2014, but there is a post-script added a year later in this online version.

Color Lines: Inside the Movement to Change the Face of the African Professional Hunter
http://www.outdoorlife.com/art...ortId=NTgyMTUxNjIwS0

Interesting commentary from the CEO of the South African Wildlife College:

“There are two things that are undeniable in Africa right now,” says Sowry. “The first is the wholesale loss of some species of wildlife through poaching. The second is that where we have managed trophy hunting, we don’t have poaching. So sport hunting—not photo safaris or conservation parks where hunting is not allowed—is the best tool we have right now to conserve species. “But here in Africa, safari hunting is considered an old-boys network by most of our majority black population. You have white Afrikaans PHs who got their jobs because their white Afrikaans fathers were PHs. It’s one segment of our society that hasn’t changed since the end of apartheid.”

It seems this appears to be the biggest flaw in logic, however, if success is the goal. But perhaps I'm wrong:
"Second, few have any experience hunting or have even spent much time in Africa’s rural areas."

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Have hunted with Patches when he was a tracker. Good guy. Wish him well.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I would encourage all to give this article a read. It gives a glimmer of hope to the mess that is African wildlife management amid the influence of foreign anti's.

It is also a great example of the danger of race-baiting headline writers. A more appropriate headline would have been: Sport Hunting: the Only Way to Conserve Africa's Wildlife

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Without the Old boys network, where would the African wildlife be?
It's like saying, your Dad was a doctor, so you cannot become one...
So, anything white person in Africa does, next generation cannot do.
Where do these people come from?
Just good old fashion jealousy, greed and racial hatred as I see it.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
The white domination of hunting in Kenya, and the perception of inherent colonial legacy, was one of the factors which led to the decision to ban it in 77.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for an excuse, any one will do.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
If you're looking for an excuse, any one will do.

It wasn't really an excuse as they didn't need any - it was their country and they could enact any legislation they pleased. Anti-colonial sentiment was a particularly hot issue then and it remains so today. There are still very strong shared interests between Kenya and The United Kingdom which means that many grievances go unsaid in the name of political expediency and security. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Not long ago I was sharing a drink at the Karen Club with a prominent, second generation, member of the political establishment. On the drive to the club house is a speed hump with a sign that says RAMP. The chap in question made a point of telling me that he remembered when the sign read "No blacks beyond this point."

Resentment is strong and unresolved.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I have been on two safaris.

My south African PH who was white treated his tracker in a very professional manner. I saw no racism and certainly no "slave treatment"

My second PH was black. I was very uncomfortable in the way that the tracker, driver and game scout were treated in regards to eating separately in the field. I think it was more of a company policy type thing but still seemed strange to me.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH in Namibia recently was a black man. He was an excellent PH and I would hunt with him again anytime. I have only had one white PH treat the black guys badly - Hartley Combrink - in Zambia. They resented him and we cut the safari short after 3 days of his offensive and vulgar bahavour.
Hold all to the same standard and I have no issues with the color of the PH's skin. I just care about his ability.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
My PH in Namibia recently was a black man. He was an excellent PH and I would hunt with him again anytime. I have only had one white PH treat the black guys badly - Hartley Combrink - in Zambia. They resented him and we cut the safari short after 3 days of his offensive and vulgar bahavour.
Hold all to the same standard and I have no issues with the color of the PH's skin. I just care about his ability.

"Hold all to the same standard". An ethic to live by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, "Hold all to the same standard". Color has no bearing if the job at hand is performed to the acceptable standard.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

If holding all to the same standard means we have to be able to get along, and I think it does, then I am with you 100%, Ross.

Cultural differences can sometimes be a problem in interpersonal relationships, but with intelligence and good will on both sides, they can be overcome.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote