New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest on RSA gun laws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wow, it's been over a week since anything has been posted about the new gun laws in South Africa. Or perhaps I missed something.

The following two items are of interest to me, both were rumored to be in effect for the temporary import of firearms by folks like us:

1. No handguns may be brought in, or no self defense handguns, depending on which version of the story is current.

2. Serial numbers would need to be engraved on the barrel and bolt in addition to the receiver.

I know that we're all tired of this crap, but I'd like to find out what's really happening. Until they change it next week...

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. If they don't change things then it's time for me to find another country for my vacations. I enjoy touring as well as hunting, and there is no way I'm going to travel unarmed around RSA.

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Well I just got back on the 18th of August and the story I heard was completely different. A "hunting handgun" has a scope. Whaaat? This is to mean that if I take a .45 Gov with a cheap handgun scope and mount on it and bring it through customs it is a hunting handgun? Then once I get out of the airport I take off the scope and stick it in my belt and go "hunting when necessary" with it is o.k.? Do not take the word of the customs guy or the SPS at Jo'burg as gospel 'cause they don't know anymore than anyone else does. The scope will help and maybe the non-revolver will help, too. Be cool, smile a lot, stay at the end of a long line so the SPS get really tired and want to get rid of you in a hurry and I'll bet you can talk your way through anything. Just don't get stubborn and difficult as we Americans are so good at. We're not alone. There was this crazed Spaniard (or maybe Italian) ahead of us who took up an entire hour trying to get 1000 rounds of centerfire ammo into RSA. One thousand rounds!!! Amazing. They took it away from him, BTW.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I just returned from SA 2 weeks ago. I used the services of Air2000 and couldn't be happier. I was met at the gate by their rep, immediately taken to the head of the line and was out in 2 minutes., No fingerprints, and they didn't even check my ammo. I brought 2 hunting handguns and had no problems, whatsoever. However, the SAPS told me that it was a good thing that I didn't bring any revolvers, as they are no longer allowed. Handguns must be "custom made for hunting", whatever that means. Sure beats the Hell out of the hour wait and endless paperwork I heard about on the flight home. Best $70.00 that I ever spent!!!

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote