Find
Notify
Tools

Mayo Oldiri
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,
I’m planning a trip for bongo and forest elephant in Cameroon with Mayo Oldiri.
Can anybody recommend certain camps/phs?

Cheers

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Guav Johnson or Dan Moore. Both hunt for Mayo Oldiri and both are excellent PHs.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Herve Houdebine in Lognia and Coveref. Excellent PH. Got my bongo on day three...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask - did you drive or fly from doula?

John

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I flew... we made the trip a month or two before the charter was shut down.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong Guav Johnson. Great guy, extremely experienced.

There are other areas that could be good for that combo too. Pm me if you want.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

shame Not cricket old boy.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

What's unfair about that? There are few good and many bad areas and in Cameroon for bongo/elephant!? I don't think that's a secret. Even Mayo has several and you should know to which you go. But I am happy to delete my offer to share knowledge about some areas.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While bongo is a relatively straightforward proposition forest elephant is another matter. I hunted forest elephant out of Lognia and Coveref with Herve.

The forest elephant have been pushed and poached so significantly that at any hint of humans, the elephant are off and gone. We would find tracks and the tracks would cross an area where pygmies had been several days ago . . . even though the elephant were encountering scent that was several days old, they would immediately run like the clappers. When elephant are encountered they almost immediately charge if they sense human presence.

Be prepared for lots of hard walking with limited encounters with elephant. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would probably have arranged to hunt with Guav since I suspect he has a bit more elephant hunting experience than Herve.

Don't get me wrong, a hunt in the rain forest is a wonderful experience. You will likely see and hear gorillas, chimps, hunting with the pygmies is interesting. If you enjoy a physical hunt, the combination of the heat, humidity, damp ground, thick bush, sweat bees, snakes, etc. make it a hunt you complete with a real sense of accomplishment.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Nothing wrong with offering other options.

The client can decide for himself if the other options are more to his liking.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is not cricket about it is that you should have sent him a PM and not openly proposed an alternative option of the hunt on a public forum and thread.

In the hunting (outfitting) world jumping on the bandwagon is an unethical attempt at poaching someone else's client and in this case the man is asking for camp/area references related to a specific outfitter who he has also named.

It's just not done - there has always been a degree of fair play conducted between outfitters and the unspoken rule is that you don't approach another outfitter's client - also known as an "unsolicited introduction" which on this site has in the past been met with vehement responses.

On the other hand it is fair play if that same client abandons ship and approaches you and it might have been wiser to offer a Cameroon hunt on the appropriate forum: "Outfitters - Offered & Discounted Hunts" with a hope to lure him or others.

To each his own.

Posts: 2046 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is not cricket about it is that you should have sent him a PM and not openly proposed an alternative option of the hunt on a public forum and thread.

In the hunting (outfitting) world jumping on the bandwagon is an unethical attempt at poaching someone else's client and in this case the man is asking for camp/area references related to a specific outfitter who he has also named.

It's just not done - there has always been a degree of fair play conducted between outfitters and the unspoken rule is that you don't approach another outfitter's client - also known as an "unsolicited introduction" which on this site has in the past been met with vehement responses.

On the other hand it is fair play if that same client abandons ship and approaches you and it might have been wiser to offer a Cameroon hunt on the appropriate forum: "Outfitters - Offered & Discounted Hunts" with a hope to lure him or others.

To each his own.
Well said!

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
limited

Sounds like a great hunt hope to do it someday

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
While bongo is a relatively straightforward proposition forest elephant is another matter. I hunted forest elephant out of Lognia and Coveref with Herve.

The forest elephant have been pushed and poached so significantly that at any hint of humans, the elephant are off and gone. We would find tracks and the tracks would cross an area where pygmies had been several days ago . . . even though the elephant were encountering scent that was several days old, they would immediately run like the clappers. When elephant are encountered they almost immediately charge if they sense human presence.

Be prepared for lots of hard walking with limited encounters with elephant. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would probably have arranged to hunt with Guav since I suspect he has a bit more elephant hunting experience than Herve.

Don't get me wrong, a hunt in the rain forest is a wonderful experience. You will likely see and hear gorillas, chimps, hunting with the pygmies is interesting. If you enjoy a physical hunt, the combination of the heat, humidity, damp ground, thick bush, sweat bees, snakes, etc. make it a hunt you complete with a real sense of accomplishment.

Mike, you make it sound like so much fun. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@fulvio
Fair points and I agree.
However I do guide in the north of Cameroon, where there are no bongos. The outfitter I work for has an area for Bongo; which i don't sell nor advertise. Also this area has no forest elephant and cannot offer them.

Anyway, apologies if I offended someone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks All for your comments. Much appreciated.
TBH I’m looking for something that probably doesn’t exist...A crack at a big old bongo, not a young bull you often see in the various promo pics, a chance at a forest elephant and whatever comes in between (buff, Sitatunga etc). I’m prepared to spend the time, and money, but want a f*^@ing good PH, who is good fun to hang around with. A new area, or somewhere not been pressured, would be my preference.
Northern operations ???

John

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcorry:
Thanks All for your comments. Much appreciated.
TBH I’m looking for something that probably doesn’t exist...A crack at a big old bongo, not a young bull you often see in the various promo pics, a chance at a forest elephant and whatever comes in between (buff, Sitatunga etc). I’m prepared to spend the time, and money, but want a f*^@ing good PH, who is good fun to hang around with. A new area, or somewhere not been pressured, would be my preference.
Northern operations ???

My advice is be wary of the operator who offers you all your wishes. You have too many priorities here and rather concentrate on one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood, thanks Fairgame

John

posted Hide Post
Good luck in Cameroon
I’ve hunted with Mayo Oldiri three times. They have a great company with fine professional hunters and good territories. I have hunted with Guav Johnson twice and I think you can’t do much better. I also like Guy Le Bohac. One advantage of Mayo has is the large number of territories they have. So you can move if things aren’t working out you can move. Bonne chance

Posts: 13 | Location: Indian,PA USA | Registered: 20 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I ended up booking 21 days with Northern Operations. Lets see what happens dancing

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. I think you are in great hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Hope to hear what comes up with your hunt!

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcorry:
So I ended up booking 21 days with Northern Operations. Lets see what happens dancing

You will be in good hands

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote