THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Malaria meds - other than Larium and Malarone

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Malaria meds - other than Larium and Malarone
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted
There is only 5 drugs possible

Chloroquine (nivaquine 100mg)
Choloroquine 100mg+ proguanil 200mg (Savarine)
Atovaquone 250mg + proguanil 100mg (Malarone) (Deltaprim in Zimbabwe
Mefloquine 250 mg (Lariam)
Doxycycline 100 mg

The first two (Nivaquine and Savarine) are sufficient in Namibia : Group 2
The last three are the only efficient drugs in Group 3 : South and East Africa (save Namibia)

Deltaprim is the Zim name for Malarone.
The best are 1) Lariam, 2) Malarone In case of intolerance Doxy : over 8 years old, no pregnancy and no direct sun exposure.

Or stay above 5000 ft with deterrent and repellant and mosquito netting.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone cares, Doxy is very cheap in comparison. After crawling around in the bush and removing ticks on occasion, Doxy gives me a certain peace of mind .

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Erik,

My guess, and not as an MD, is that the amount of medication in one's bloodstream reaches its peak within two or three hours of taking Doxy, thus making the side effects most likely to show up during that time. It seems like a good idea to take it at night anyway in order to keep the peak amount in ones system when one is most likely to be bitten by the mosquitos.
When I moved here to Cairo and knowing that I would likely be traveling extensively (not to mention running into God only knows how many random food transmitted bugs), I requested a full years worth of Doxy from the travel clinic at my graduate university. They had no problem prescribing and my insurance company didn't even blink as the costs are so relatively low. I see no reason to use anything else.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the past 7 years I've been living in Phalaborwa, Kruger National Park. The town is in the middle of the malaria area but more than 10.000 people here live a normal life without taking any malaria medication at all.

The life expectancy is not shorter than in non malaria areas and, as far I'm informed, road accidents here kill more residents than malaria.

For what I'm concerned, if symtoms will develops, I will take a blood sample to the lab and start immediately a course of Artemisin, before even knowing the result of the test.

As far I know Artemisin is at this moment the most effective way of curing the malaria, and has not side effects.

Regards

Posts: 178 | Location: Phalaborwa, Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all - my problems with both larium and malarone were dizzyness (more than usual according to wife) and really weird dreams Such as being tonto and being thrown into a fairy cave by the lone ranger. Guess it doxy from now on.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote