Find
Notify
Tools

Booked for Zim in 2009
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally did it!

Booked for Zimbabwe for August 2009. Buffalo in Chirisa with HHK.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it! So is the wife.

I have about 5 million questions for all of you with more experience than I.

10 months is gonna seem like forever!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first thing you should do is bring along a gun carrier or friend to cheer you on during the hunt---------I would gladly volunteer Big Grin

way to go! you should have a great time--------what area are hunting?

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are Hunting in Chirisa. And since you were the first to offer your services so kindly, if a gun carrier is required you will be first on the list!

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Right, and just in case quickshot can't make it, let me be the next to volunteer.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will be over there in a month with all the HHK boys! You will have a great time, Chirisa is a great safari area!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. What kind of rifle are you taking?

Also, don't forget your Pith helmet -- you don't want look like a tourist Big Grin

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 375H&H and either a 416Rigby or a 458Lott.

It's a real toss up between the Rigby and Lott, I am leanin' towards the Rigby though.

GOtcha Dave!

Make sure and let us know how it goes Taz. What area are you going to?

One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Speaking from prior experience with HHK, make sure that the animals you want are on quota and don't add anything at a later date. I booked my safari in early 2005 for a 2007 hunt. I added and payed for a hippo in 2006 but somehow that communication nevermade it from Georgia to Harare. When I got to camp, my buddy was informed that not enough hippo were on quota and therefore I would not get to shoot one. Why they told him and not me is still a wonder. I guess my PH thought it would be better coming from my friend instead of him. Other than that, the hunt went well and my PH did work his butt off. The hippo trophy fee was put to other animals but it did kinda of start the safari off on the wrong foot.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

Congratulations, you will not be disappointed in Chirisa. The view from the abandoned ranger station will stay with you forever.

This is just a suggestion, the bird hunting in Chirisa is phenominal. You might want to check if HHK can have a shotgun and shells for you to use in case you finish your Buffalo hunt early.

Best of luck on your hunt. Your wife will love it there.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed my buff hunt there this summer.I can't compare it to other places because it was my only hunt.The feeling I got was that it was a large,wild and unspoiled,classic hunting area.The staff there did their jobs perfect.It is a serious operation.I am sure you will see lots of elephant,shoot a nice buffalo and get a chance at a good kudu.Someone brought a scoped 22 rifle along and we shot some guinea fowl.Don't forget to take along a camera with a zoom lens and binocs.A range finder monocular would also be good if you are using a scoped rifle and need to shoot plains game at long distance.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

The wife and I are very excited about going.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
JTEX,

Congratulations, you will not be disappointed in Chirisa.

Too true. Hunting Chirisa will be an experience you will never forget. I know you will have a fantastic time - best of luck on the trophy front.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX

Who will be your PH?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't found out yet who the Ph will be.