New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After waiting a year I just got my shipping quote for the Taxidermy work done in Zim. I cannot believe the cost. I have seen many other AR members note on this subject and do not remember any this high. For 3 cartons, actual weight 651 Hg, Volumetric weight 1195 kg and Chargeable weight 1195 kg. This quote is for air shipment with World Wide Logistic. They are saying prepaid $5699.00, collect $5999.00. I about to have a stroke. Cartons contain 1-Zebra rug, 1-full mount Leopard on a tree with a full mount Stenbuck, Cape Buff shoulder mount, Impala shoulder mount, Kudu shoulder mount.
Any ideas (besides Ocean freight)
Bob

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bob: that seems pretty outrageous. About al I can offer is to drop an email to John Lewis at http://www.kwiktan.com. Tell him we've been in contact and I suggested you get in touch to see what freight company he uses. Granted it was 4 years ago, but a similar crate from RSA to Atlanta for me was 1200 US. ALso, check to see how much the freight is from point of entry in the US to your house. I think you'll find that part to be an eye opener. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Do you have a detailed and itemized cost breakdown? You may be surprised at all the "extras" you are paying for.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,
Thanks for your quick help. Will try them.
Bob
I just converted the cartons to pounds, 1433. Is this not a lot of for the mounts I listed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
T.Carr
Do not have that information, requesting it now
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
That does appear to be a little heavy IMHO. I have observed that some of the taxidermists in RSA appear to use a type of taxidermy form that is somewhat heavier than those used by the guys in the USA. If that is true, that would certainly affect the total weight of the shipment. I got back a sable shoulder mount last year and I promise it is as heavy as three large whitetail mounts! But, like T Carr said ask for a cost breakdown. I noticed they like to charge an excessive amount for "insurance". You can save some money closely reviewing other costs as well.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Is it possibe to try ship instead of air?

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Airfreight is not just by weight but by a complicated calculation that involves volume as well. I'm not up on all the details but Coppersmith has something about it on their website. Coppersmith

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Contact John at Fauna and Flora. He can help you. I am shipping 3 buffalo mounts form Zim to us with a total Ocean shipping cost of under $2K

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dang Bob, that is no fun.

Unfortunately, one should expect to pay more when shipping full mounted trophies. Your Leopard in a tree is costing you big time now. I bet he takes up a full crate himself!

The volumetric weight tells me you are shipping 3 very big crates.

Let's see, 1195 KG chargeable weight = 2629 lbs. While it doesn't weigh that much, you are being charged for the volume of the crates you are sending. In this case, the weight does not matter as much as the volume. If you shipped the same crates full of pillows, it would probably cost the same. Unless of course they were going to someone other than an African hunter !
Mad
Look into ocean freight is the only thing I can suggest. I have never done it, nor have I heard an of my clients doing it, but it may be a good time to check into it.

Good luck and please keep us posted so we can learn from your experience.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a quote from John Meehan at Fauna and Flora [ jjmeehan@faunaandflora.com ]. For both ocean and air shipment.

I used their Ocean Cargo scheme last in 2004 and it woked like a charm.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I've found with all the shippments I received from Africa, the cost is right around $4.45 a pound. this has been the average over the past 4 years.

remember too that you have a tree in there, I'll bet it weighs more then everything else combined. I had a guy a few years ago get 5 mounts done in SA, he saved over 2K getting the trophies done there. But when the crat reached his door the cost was over $3,600!! The tree that a baboon was mounted on was so heavy it took two of us to lift it out of the crate! IRON WOOD!!! at it's best!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
I've found with all the shippments I received from Africa, the cost is right around $4.45 a pound. this has been the average over the past 4 years.

$4.45 x volumetric weight of 2629 lbs = $11,699

See, you got a steal of a deal! Big Grin

Just trying to cheer you up. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Don't know whether it is high or low but I just recieved 2 tusks (45&43lbs) from Zim last month and the airfreight only was $972. Considering the weight you have that would seem reasonable. I used Coppersmith in Dallas and the service was better than excellant and charges reasonable. The lady there is most helpful and pleasant to deal with.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bull1:
That does appear to be a little heavy IMHO. I have observed that some of the taxidermists in RSA appear to use a type of taxidermy form that is somewhat heavier than those used by the guys in the USA. If that is true, that would certainly affect the total weight of the shipment. IBull1

BULL,, the actual weight has absolutely nothing to do with volume weight! Volume weight is figured as if the space it takes up, were filled with the most expensive fraight they could ship in that much space! IOW, a leopard mounted on a tree, will not weigh that much, but the crate will be huge. The cargo space it takes up is what they are chargeing you for. The volume weight quoted here would probably be no more than 200, to 250 lbs actual weight. The thought that it is only African mounts that are charged this way, is not true! Volume weight is charged the same on any crate that is over a certain size, and you can add on the special handleing required in shipping perisable items, that must be protected form rain, and such, as well. I retired after 31 years with one of largest international airlines in the world, much of that 31 yrs in the freight department, and I can tell you the contents of a create plays no part, unless special handleing is required, such as Taxidermy mounts, Human remains, or restricted articles.

Folks, this is why it doesn't save you money to have mounts done in Africa! You save on the taxidermy, and get hooked on the shipping. The taxidermy is not well done in many cases, and the capes are usually pickeled, not tanned. IMO, you are money ahead to pay the piper and have the taxidermy done here in the USA!

Like Wendell, my only suggestion is, to have the mounts shipped Sea freight, but even that is going to be stiff, with crates so large! The hides, and horns could have all been shipped in two crates both together half the size of the Leopard on a tree crate, and wieght no more than 200 lbs, if that!

TUFF guy, sort of ruins the Safari experience doesn't it!? Frowner

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
QUOTE FROM ZIMBABWE:
$4.45 x volumetric weight of 2629 lbs = $11,699

See, you got a steal of a deal! Big Grin

Just trying to cheer you up. Roll Eyes[/QUOTE]

Zimbabwe,

Going by the actual weight it works out to be 1,435 pounds which times $4.45 = $6,386.00

So it is right in the ballpark....

And your tusks, just your tusks would have been right around $400.00 shipping, but the weight of the tusks aren't the only weight, you have the crate and I guess the charges by Coppersmith, which looks like doubled the charges

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
MacD37 I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!!! thumb

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! beer

Widowmaker416

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Don't know whether it is high or low but I just recieved 2 tusks (45&43lbs) from Zim last month and the airfreight only was $972. Considering the weight you have that would seem reasonable. I used Coppersmith in Dallas and the service was better than excellant and charges reasonable. The lady there is most helpful and pleasant to deal with.

What was your total bill, freight, clearing charges, etc.? From a 2003 safari in Zim, I had tusks and buffalo skull (no cape) cleared by Coppersmith and they charged me $1,300 in freight and $700 in various other charges for a total of $2,000.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
A full-mount leopard here in the US would probably cost you $3K by itself. My leopard is mounted laying on a tree branch that "grows" out of a tree that goes into a pedestal mount and while I've never actually weighed it, it is very heavy.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
My shipment seemed overly priced when I received the bill. I complained to both the imported and the shipper in Zim and they re-calculated the volumetric weight and found an error on their part. I received a $1,300 refund. That may be true in your case as well, however with the description given of the mounts it is probably correct.
I don't believe I would have any taxidermy done in Africa. Most I have seen arrive with pickled hides and I have litle input on the way the mount is done.
I would also ask about the material used to package the mounts ie.. wood cardboard as that can have a big impact on the weight.
good luck.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I followed the advice of my PH and am getting the mounts done here in the USA...

...Glad I did!!!

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobga

Last year I had an elephant skull, tusks, red lechwe cape and horns sent to my taxidermist from Botswana. The total frieght bill was $3400. Of course the sheer bulk of the elephant skull made the bill what it was. Additionally I had 6 sets of horns with capes from RSA and the bill was a little over $2000 for frieght. I guess the point is your charges with all the bulky items you have don't seem to be way out of line.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just took a look at an African Taxidermy site and these are the prices...just for mounting.

Buff shoulder mount ------- $780
Kudu shoulder mount ------- $610
Impala should mount ------- $380
Zebra rug ----------------- $340
Leopard - full size ------- $2010
Steenbuck - full size ----- $690

Prices total pretty close to $5000. They include crating but not (1) VAT (2) hauling to ship (3) actual cost of shipping (4) government imposed fees in addition to VAT.

Looks like you got off pretty easy.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
T.Carr
My total bill from Copperstate was $1647.77 of which 900+ was airfreight and also included truck freight to my home in Green Valley, Az. I could find NO really questionable charges on my bill. I'm perfectly happy with my dealings with them.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Pam Foerster in Windhoek, Namibia.
She is a lady that has helped me many times.
Owns her own frt. forwarding company and treats folks right.
pam's e mail is
pam-lacs@mwed.com.na

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your input. The story is still unfolding. I had previously contracted Coppersmith in Atlanta to be my broker. After I did this post this morning I called them and they are being very helpfull. They gave me 2 addtional Air Freight names to give to the Taxidermist to have a SECOND OPINION quote, waiting for a reply. Wendal: based on your rate of $4.45 a pound, maybe they have given me a SALE Price.
Broke Bob

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
The weight, at $4.45 a pound was actual weight not volumetric weight.

And it was a estimate.......

Lets get that straight Mad

Widowmaker416