New
Find
Notify
Tools

DUI and Hunting in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys...I'm saving up for a trip to hunt Plains Game. I don't have a specific date or location picked yet but was curious if a stupid mistake in college (DUI) will affect my entry into African countries (and Europe for connecting flights).

If it is as hard as Canada is to get into, then I'll look into saving for something else.

Thanks

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hardly. If DUI's were problematic, half the PHs that come to the shows in January would not be able to go home.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Will not be a problem.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bring up an interesting point. A year ago I was at the US-Canadian border at International Falls and the Canadian border patrol checked a car in front of us with some folks in it from Illinois. An 81 year old gentlemen was refused entrance when it was discovered he had a DUI 19 years prior. The Canadians can do what they wish but I know a number of decent folks who are now unable to go to Canada fishing, hunting and general vacationing. I worked for a Canadian company and crossed the border frequently however this experience really opened my eyes. I personally think they are making a mistake.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PERFECT dancing

That makes me very happy!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
You bring up an interesting point. A year ago I was at the US-Canadian border at International Falls and the Canadian border patrol checked a car in front of us with some folks in it from Illinois. An 81 year old gentlemen was refused entrance when it was discovered he had a DUI 19 years prior. The Canadians can do what they wish but I know a number of decent folks who are now unable to go to Canada fishing, hunting and general vacationing. I worked for a Canadian company and crossed the border frequently however this experience really opened my eyes. I personally think they are making a mistake.

DUIs are a felony in Canada and they can deny you entry if you have a felony ie DUI even though it isn't a felony here. For this reason I always ask anyone everyone I'm driving to Canada with if they have a DUI prior to leaving. If they do you are welcome to come but you are taking your own car and you are on your own if you get turned away.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DUI in Africa means "Didn't understand it." In my conversations with trackers I've had many DUI's, but after all TIA.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 22 August 2010 04:58 Hide Post
Hardly. If DUI's were problematic, half the PHs that come to the shows in January would not be able to go home.

Only half?? beer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
On a side note. As well as Africa we send several hunters a year to Quebec on Caribou hunts. Almost every group has someone that has an OUI or somthing of the sorts in their past.
Here is a link to a pardon service that for a fee will clear your record for Canadian travel.
http://www.canadianpardons.ca/...try_waivers/premium/

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the same for us going to the states. Any prior arrests may mean that you won't be granted entry to USA. Many times this is to the discretion of the agent at the border. However, i am sure there is detailed legislation on this. Glad i don't have to worry about that.

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Sorry but me being from the old continent - what is DUI?

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
@CF jag tror det borde vara Driving under the influence of alcohol

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Tak Anton
Ja det regner vi jo ikke rigtig for noget her i DK

mvh CF

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

rotflmo

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Canadians can do what they wish but I know a number of decent folks who are now unable to go to Canada fishing, hunting and general vacationing. I worked for a Canadian company and crossed the border frequently however this experience really opened my eyes. I personally think they are making a mistake.

pissers Canada (at least the government)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36843 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DUI - It's driving under the influence of ANY drug or illegal substance, not just alcohol.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
@CF jag tror det borde vara Driving under the influence of alcohol

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote