THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Ivan Carter shoots charging Elephant on Tracks Across Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ivan Carter shoots charging Elephant on Tracks Across Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
The clients were way over gunned and were flinching like crazy. Dudes should have been armed with 375 H&Hs, but then that wouldn't look as cool on the show. Ivan really held the 577 down out of recoil. Of course he was properly motivated to do so. Great job cleaning up the mess.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned or should I say relearned several lessons from that video. The first was that as said in the thread with Viam, you will notice that the bull had his head up until he got through the trees and then dropped it to the classic low charge position after he got through the trees. From my experience they don't drop their heads until they have a clear view and path to their target. Second, the double is the weapon for close range charges. If Ivan had been using a bolt gun we would all be mourning him right now. Now let me hear a bolt gun user argue that fact! Third, you take an unnecessary risk if you get too close if you don't have to. Fourth, no matter how good a shot you are, how much experience you have or how powerful your rifle is you won't stop a charge every time with one shot. Fifth, I think even Ivan would admit he was a bit lucky in getting that second shot in the right place. Sixth, the more rifle skill, experience and power you have in your rifle the more luck you will have.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Third, you take an unnecessary risk if you get too close if you don't have to.

I was kind of unsettled by them almost teasing some of those bulls.

To my way of thinking, one should ease in un-noticed, get a good estimate on the ivory, and then ease out un-noticed. To me, the "art" of being a hunter is trying to never let the quarry know you are there until you pull the trigger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36647 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a great show, nice work Ivan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does every one think about them being CLOSE to the elephants that are clearly agitated and the clients standing there with the rifles on their shoulders?

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
What does every one think about them being CLOSE to the elephants that are clearly agitated and the clients standing there with the rifles on their shoulders?

My wife thought these guys were nuts for getting that close to a pissed off elephant. My only comment was this: "It might be fun, but I sure as hell wouldn't have my rifle over my shoulder!"

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know when the show will air again? I missed it this time around.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I think the Ivan episode has run its course on Outdoor Channel. TIVO says the next episode is crock and hippo ("River Monsters of the Zambezi"). This will be fairly booring compared to Ivan hitting elephants over the head with his 577 (many apologies to Dave Fulson who is in the next episode).

Typically all the eposides run again later in the season. If I see it coming around again, I will post accordingly.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT would be nice if someone would post this on youtube so us non americans could get to see the charge popcorn BOOM

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
As great as Ivan whacking that elephant is the camera man who captured it on film is to be saluted as well. He a man with a lot of guts, right in the midst of the situation with nothing but a camera. Amazing courage!

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBullet:
As great as Ivan whacking that elephant is the camera man who captured it on film is to be saluted as well. He a man with a lot of guts, right in the midst of the situation with nothing but a camera. Amazing courage!

You cannot salute cameramen. They are so psychotic to willingly do that job unarmed that they wouldn't recognize a compliment if you tried to explain it to them.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearhunter762:
IT would be nice if someone would post this on youtube so us non americans could get to see the charge popcorn BOOM

Yeah, where is the youtube version?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think trying NOT to get them agitated in first place should be the goal.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36647 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
But I do think Ivan did a tremendous job of shooting under pressure. Chink of the beer mug to him for that!

J. Lane Easter, DVM