New
Find
Notify
Tools

bringing back a mounted civet cat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
question for somebody out there. I shot a civet cat a couple years ago and had to have it mounted in zim. because of SARS. its done over in bulawayo & I'm there next week ele. hunting. Does anybody know if I can throw the civet in a bag and bring it back on the airplane with me??

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I THINK a civet cat needs a CITES permit. I'm not positive, though. Try calling the USF&W.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
African Civet doesn't need a cites. But you can't just bring it back with you, one, you need documention on it, and because of the SARS scare you may have to have it cleared by USDA, USF&W, and Customs.
I went to pick up a shippment last fall, I had a civet in there. What a mess getting that cleared!

Here's a tip for you:
The SCARS scare is for asian civet, they are different then the African, if you try to bring it with you make sure that customs knows that, but be very nice about telling them, that's important. And make sure they know it's a finished product not a raw skin! That;s important!

I really don't see you being able to bring it in without all the documents from Zim and clearance from USF&W and USDA.

Good luck if you go for it!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The whole viverridae family is included in the ban. This includes all civets and genet cats.
We can no longer send raw skins for any of the Ethiopian genets to the states. Mounted specimens are okay but when mounted by the taxidermist there they more closely resemle a spotted rat! I couldn't find Nandinia binotta
(African Palm Civet) listed anywhere in the CITES appendices.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote