New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion's Power
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In the Tampa Tribune today, March 10th, there was an article about some school boys catching a four foot alligator and putting it on the shool bus. No injuries or anything like that and FYI, it was almost immediately released in the river. You can imagine we get alligator stories frequently. But what caught my attention was the article made a comparison in a biting force between several animals (this was made clear it is not PSI).

Person - 170 lbs
Alligator - 280 lbs
Shark - 330 lbs
Lion - 940 lbs

This helped put it in perspective for me.

Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alittle surprized by the gator pressure not being more. I think if the average person bit down on something hard with 170 lbs. of pressure they would have some broken teeth. The short jaws of the cats give them more biting power than say wolves.

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
A trained attack dog is said (from what I've been told on course) to have 400lb's of pressure.

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the power they have when they take a swipe at you......I've heard of stories where with one swat of a paw they break the neck of a zebra! I've never witnessed this but find it possible....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/09/15/Floridian/Champion_chomps.shtml

This article (and another I read) says as follows:

Labrador Retreiver 125
Human 170
Dusky Shark 300
Pit Bull 800
Lion 940
Hyena 1000
Alligator 2125 - sounds like a croc to me!

but near the end of the article they state,

"Australian crocodiles can attain 20 feet in length. They are the direct link to Sarcosuchus imperator, which roamed Africa 140-million years ago. Paleontologists believe they grew to 40 feet and ate dinosaurs. Extrapolating bite measurements from alligators, Vliet and colleagues believe the ancient crocodile bit with 18,000 pounds of pressure - roughly the weight of a Mack truck."

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I would not have wanted to be around when Sarcosuchus was hungry.

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I read a study that was on T .rex bite force. They calculated the amount of force needed to puncture some Triceratops hip bones and it came out to around 3,000 on each side of the mouth...

And this is said to be most likely a mere feeding bite!

Not too shabby for a 45 foot predator.

Some of their bigger teeth are almost "D" shaped and look like bananas....

The back of their skulls are greatly expanded, I think they are capable of quite a bit more force.

I'd rather be chased by a lumbering Sarcosuchus than a much faster and more active tyrannosaur anyday!

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I think I saw a show on this, and the scaling up thing is kinda questionable for me. SOme portions of that croc's skull looks a tad skinny for that much force...

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha!, what we need to do is shave the Lions mane, bob his tail and enter him in some dog fights for big money bets..Love it when a plan comes together

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few people I would recommend for the lion shaving job if you're interested.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking I should go bite my Labrador...

Actually, I'm amazed at the relative position of the pit bull.

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the Hyena measures out at? Reputedly the strongest of the bunch able to crush the thickest bones.

Quote:

<snip> But what caught my attention was the article made a comparison in a biting force between several animals (this was made clear it is not PSI).

Person - 170 lbs
Alligator - 280 lbs
Shark - 330 lbs
Lion - 940 lbs

This helped put it in perspective for me.

Fred

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawaiian_Hunter,

Look at odie's post above. The Hyena is listed at 1000.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks B, WOW@1000

Quote:

Look at odie's post above. The Hyena is listed at 1000.

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Here's a snippet about the Tassie Devil.

5. Q. How strong are their jaws?
A. In absolute terms, there is no good measurement because you never know how hard they are biting. That applies to most animals but we do know the relative strength. Devils have jaws of biting power as strong as a dog about 4 times their weight. So a 10 kg devil has as powerful a bite as a 40 kg dog. In this respect they are very similar to hyenas, particularly the spotted hyena.

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think a croc's jaws are strong enough for that kind of pressure. They are an ambush hunter and only hold prey long enough to drowned it. There teeth are for puncture and hold rather than crush. A sharks teeth on the other hand are meant to bite through large amounts of flesh and bone. There jaws like a cat are much shorter front to back. Compair the squeeze of pliers to needle nose pliers, Thats my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.verdieck.com/misc/PissedKitty2.jpg
Here is the mini me version of the shaved lion.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I dont think a croc's jaws are strong enough for that kind of pressure. They are an ambush hunter and only hold prey long enough to drowned it. There teeth are for puncture and hold rather than crush. A sharks teeth on the other hand are meant to bite through large amounts of flesh and bone.

I would agree the shark is a superior biter by far, but they found without the shearing motion of their bodies, the bite pressure is not quite so impressive.And it doesn;t need to be since their mouths are so well desgined for cutting.

A croc holding and dragging heavy boned prey may indicate greater 'jaw strength' than that required to shear lumps off marine animals.

On dogs etc., I would have thought longer jaws will have similar power at the back as short jaws, all else being equal.
The advantage of the longer ones is that they are longer.

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Your right Karl

Long muzzel dogs, would have more leverage than short muzzel dogs also a greater bite area. Think of the crushing power at the back of those long jaws The standard poodle for instance is/was used as a police dog because it had a very good bite. I took a Roti on the arm last year and I think a shepard would beat it hands down, of course that depends on the individual dog as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Karl, I spearfish, and we ALWAYS keep the fish stringer hanging from a float, and on a LONG teather at least 50 feet long. I have witnessed many a shark helping themselves to fish on my stringer, and they are welcome to it. We call them the tax-collectors, and when he comes to collect his dues we are more then happy to let him have all he wants. Their teeth work like a saw, they grab on and shake violently, just like a puppy with a chew toy, until a chunk is "sawed off". Pretty awesome sight to behold.

Quote:

Quote:

I dont think a croc's jaws are strong enough for that kind of pressure. They are an ambush hunter and only hold prey long enough to drowned it. There teeth are for puncture and hold rather than crush. A sharks teeth on the other hand are meant to bite through large amounts of flesh and bone.

I would agree the shark is a superior biter by far, but they found without the shearing motion of their bodies, the bite pressure is not quite so impressive.And it doesn;t need to be since their mouths are so well desgined for cutting.

A croc holding and dragging heavy boned prey may indicate greater 'jaw strength' than that required to shear lumps off marine animals.

On dogs etc., I would have thought longer jaws will have similar power at the back as short jaws, all else being equal.
The advantage of the longer ones is that they are longer.

Karl.