Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Self-guided hunts in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
Maybe I can restate my question.....If I go to RSA and a friend sets up a hunt with a well known outfit, and I hunt with a PH, what paperwork, licenses do I need? I think the real question is, what is the difference in cost between a resident of RSA and an Alien for the paperwork.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg is a great guy, with many years of "True" African hunting experience. I was to hunt with him and his sons this spring, but the hunt had to be rescheduled to coincide with his kid's Christmas vacation. Unfortunately that was the only time I could not go.

If you ever have a chance to talk to Greg by all means take the time. I had the pleasure of hunting caribou with him and his sons last year, all of the stories he had were amazing. One of his stories about finding a boulder with a 1/4 inch gold vein running through it still keeps me awake at night!

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I see that while I was off deer hunting Wendell has used my name in vain on the forum. By the way Wendell I have called and you never answer.

Cameron is in Cameroon now on a bongo hunt in one of the transition zones.

The French part of Africa has always had "free zones" that any able bodied person could hunt without a ph. Cameroon in the last few years has added several new areas in the forest and savannah.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zimbabwe, Self guided hunts are legal under certain circumstances. The usual one are the Zambezi Valley Auction hunts.

This years Auction is on the 4th of March at the Sheraton hotel. The Auctioneers are new and will probably not sell it very well so it may be a good year.

They can be contacted for a brochure or an absent bid on 263-4-730-445

or email desired@africaonline.co.zw

Personally I have always figured that this is an expensive way to hunt. Having anylysed the trophy data on buff and elephant from these hunts over the last 14 years, even local citizen hunters, on average, fail to take nearly as good a buff or ele as someone who has hired the services of a PH.

But it can be fun. Outfit it yourself and run it your way.

Also Bill Bedford at Ingwe safaris' ingwew@mweb.co.zw offers self guided elephant hunts in the eastern part of his concession ( mainly aimed at the South African Market - they can bring their own food and vehicles and spend 21 days there if they need. Two basic camps are provided.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:

Also Bill Bedford at Ingwe safaris' ingwew@mweb.co.zw offers self guided elephant hunts in the eastern part of his concession ( mainly aimed at the South African Market - they can bring their own food and vehicles and spend 21 days there if they need. Two basic camps are provided.

Good luck on that one! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Mlindsay
Quote :â€The French part of Africa has always had "free zones" that any able bodied person could hunt without a ph. Cameroon in the last few years has added several new areas in the forest and savannahâ€.
Mike

Don’t be misled. Free zones are now quite a myth. There is only 4 countries in the ex-French Equatorial where Big Game and DG can be hunted. Burkina-Faso, Benin, Central Africa Rep and Cameroon. Only Cameroon accepts hunters on their own. The 3 others rent any available places at auction. Even gameless zones. When hard currency is at reach count upon them to get hold of it along with offloading themselves of villagers care taking and salarying the game officers to the gallant outfitter. I asked some old hands, they all say only Cameroon is maintaining free hunting. Our friend Boghossian on the forum has probed Cameroon and can give good advices. Nonetheless don’t count on the pick of the bunch. You might save 10 000$ a week, not the time spent to reach your expectations.
I’ll seriously have a look on free zones available in this part of Africa and present You a report.
jb

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Free hunting zones are alive and well in Cameroon, not sure about the rest. This type of hunting is not for everyone but there are many areas that it can be done in Cameroon. I took a fantastic Lord Derby and 6 other animals there.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ

I have done 2 self guided hunts in Zim with no problems. I did my last hunt in Sept. and have taken some really good animals on my own. The hardest thing is to get the use of a truck. I am lucky to have good friends there to help out. If you want to know more please let me know.

Cheers

Posts: 263 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote