THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Makuti or Dande for Leopard / Tuskless

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Makuti or Dande for Leopard / Tuskless
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted
Which of the two areas would you prefer for a leopard / tuskless hunt and why?
Thanks!
Andy

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flip a coin as both are pretty good. The tuskless will be relatively easy to find in either area so it really boils down to Mr. Spots. Makuti is more hilly than Dande so you can sweat a bit more. CM Safaris hunts both places so you should check with them, but I believe they are near 100% success with leopard in both areas. I was in Makuti this past September and got two tuskless in eight days and spotted one big tom during daylight.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I think it will all be about the type hunt you want. Makuti for tuskless will be more spotting and stalking. You will glass a tuskless and go get it.

In Dande, it will be more of a classic tracking ele hunt. You aren't going to have a problem getting your tuskless either place.

I think you should expect to get a shot at a leopard either place. They have killed some toads in Makuti over the past few years.

Of course Buzz can give you a proper answer. I hunted Dande last year, and I do hope to hunt Makuti with him in the future.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Having been in Dande this past October, I agree with everything Tim and BigBore said in their responses. I suggest you correspond with Buzz Charlton or Myles McCallum and they will give you very straight-forward guidance on which area is best for the type of safari you want. I was very impressed with the level of effort Buzz undertook during our planning stage to ensure that we selected the right area for our personal expectations.

You can reach Buzz or Myles by email: buzzandmyles@cmsafaris.com or checkout their website: CM Safaris Website

I can promise you that you won't be disappointed with any safari that Charlton McCallum Safaris organizes for you. If interested, take a look at my recent hunt report on Dande (hot-linked below) to get an idea of how well our tuskless hunt went.

Good luck with wherever you decide!

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I think it will all be about the type hunt you want. Makuti for tuskless will be more spotting and stalking. You will glass a tuskless and go get it.

In Dande, it will be more of a classic tracking ele hunt. You aren't going to have a problem getting your tuskless either place.

I think you should expect to get a shot at a leopard either place. They have killed some toads in Makuti over the past few years.

Tim is spot on.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andy,
I have hunted twice with CMSafaris and I agree with all guys wrote above. As for a big tom I would prefer Makuti because in DSA there are plenty of lions so there is a competition between lions and leopards.
Petr

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RickCap
posted Hide Post
Agree with the comments that Buzz and Myles will give you the straight skinny. I am going to hunt leopard in Makuti with them next year. They gave me the pros and cons for both Makuti and Dande.

Posts: 65 | Location: Upstate NY, USA | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtep:
Hi Andy,
I have hunted twice with CMSafaris and I agree with all guys wrote above. As for a big tom I would prefer Makuti because in DSA there are plenty of lions so there is a competition between lions and leopards.
Petr

When I was in Makuti in 2003 there were lots of lions and leopards. We had a camp leopard that sawed us to sleep each night and we had a leopard hit one of my lion baits.

We saw solitary lions on a couple of occasions and bumped into a pride during their mid-day nap on the escarpment side of the concession. I shot a lion on a bait on the far side of the concession(towards Kariba).

I have never been to Dande, but one pro(and con) to Makuti are the blacktop roads that border it which, would make the checking of baits far less time consuming.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andreas,

Will e mail you this evening - Dirk is back in Zim so we can finalise this hunt now.

Regards

Andy

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
PM sent Muvhimi.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the advice so far is spot on !
Only other thing to add is how easy or difficult do you want the physical side of the hunting?
Dande is flatter with thicker cover and more "up close and personal"
Makuti is much more hilly and you will need to be fit to get the best out of it. I was successful on leopard in both areas and you will have a great time which ever you choose.
If you are thinking of making a booking I would suggest you get in quick as both venues are popular because of their success rate.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies so far guys!
Rgds,
andy

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote