Find
Notify
Tools

Combined SCI/SCI-F Financials
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
There are many different opinions about SCI/SCI-F. They range from great to good to needs improvement to bad as is the case with many organizations.

Many people are aware that SCI and SCI-F operate together even though their expenses are captured and categorized separately. SCI-F being the tax exempt charity. The by laws of SCI-F state that 13 of the 15 Board of Directors be current or past members of SCI and that 6 of the 13 be either current or former executive or senior positions within SCI. Four of the 13 must be members of the current SCI Executive committee. (page 4 of the attached PDF link)

http://www.scifirstforhunters....%20rev%20Sep%206.pdf

Additionally, SCI provides approximately 83% of SCI-F’s net revenues via an operating grant. It would be incomplete to say SCI donated $4.4M to conservation by virtue of a grant to SCI-F without looking at how SCI-F spent the money given the extent to which SCI influences SCI-F. They share the same CFO.

Therefore, looking at just SCI or just SCI-F independently does not provide a complete picture.

Expense categorization for non-profit or charity organizations is based on the Mission statement of the organization and expenses related to the Mission statement are Program Service expenses. The percentage of monies spent on Program Services is not necessarily an indication one way or another as to whether the money was spent wisely. For example, if a meals for the poor organization hires a gourmet chef to cook their meals at Thanksgiving and pays him/her $4000 for two days of work; the $4000 is a Program Service expense. Perhaps not wisely spent but, still a Program Service expense. Alternatively, a charitable organization might pay $250,000 a year to a CFO (which could appear to be excessive) and 50% of that CFO’s time might be related to General Management which is a Non Program Service expense. This means that $125,000 is Non Program Service related. However, if the CFO insures that 90% of monies are spent on Program Services and spent very wisely then the $125,000 of the CFOs salary which was Non Program Service might be money well spent.

The following is the combined expenditures of both SCI and SCI-F is based on my reading of the documents. The information is taken form their respective IRS Form 990 filings for the period ending June 2009. The June 2010 filing is not available.

http://www.scifirstforhunters.....09_SCI_FORM_990.pdf

http://www.safariclubfoundatio...09_SCIF_FORM_990.pdf

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So appart from the top 4 items in the second form, all others are expenses of one sort or another?

If this is correct, then they spend a grand total of less than 5% on things we wish they spend more on.

Am I correct?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

That is not necessarily correct. Notice the top form and the bottom form have the same total expenditures of $16.9M.

The top form depicts how money was spent related to the Mission statements.

The bottom form depicts on what type of expenditures the money was spent on.

By way of example, SCI may have an attorney on staff that perhaps earns $125K/yr and spends all of their time on pro hunting law suits. In this case the $125k would be in the $2.184M in the top form and in the $5.872M for Wages and Compensation for SCI employees in the bottom form. The attorney could be very effective and work very hard or very ineffective and not work hard.

The question I think most people have is more along the lines of...of the $16.958M that is spent, is $1.3M on office expense a wise expenditure given that only $275K was spent for Lobbying Fees and only $549K on grants to other entities.

To get a better view of anyone particular line item you can click on each of the PDF links. The pertinent details start on Page 12 of the SCI PDF and on page 13 of the SCI-F PDF. For example, by looking at those pages in the PDFs you can see that of the $345K spent on conventions and conferences; $204K or 59% was related to management and general expense and not related to Program Services.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
So appart from the top 4 items in the second form, all others are expenses of one sort or another?

If this is correct, then they spend a grand total of less than 5% on things we wish they spend more on.

Am I correct?
Must SCI give money away in the form of grants for them to perform a worthwhile service?? Why does the good work have to be performed by a 3rd party?

Thanks for your efforts with this Mike!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Must SCI give money away in the form of grants for them to perform a worthwhile service?? Why does the good work have to be performed by a 3rd party?

Matt,

As I read it, yes they must mate..... or more accurately, they have to spend it on or make donation to what might be termed 'good works'

If you read the first words in their own bye-laws here:

http://www.scifirstforhunters....gust%2027%202010.pdf

You'll see the corporation claims to be "A non-profit corporation exempt from income tax as an organization described in Section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code of the United States of America".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5...29#501.28c.29.284.29

501(c)(4) organizations are generally civic leagues and other corporations operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees with membership limited to a designated company or people in a particular municipality or neighborhood, and with net earnings devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.[19] Unlike 501(c)(3) organizations, 501(c)(4) organizations may lobby for legislation; they may also participate in political campaigns and elections, as long as campaigning is not the organization's primary purpose.[20]

Contributions to 501(c)(4) organizations are not deductible as charitable contributions. 501(c)(4) organizations are not required to disclose their donors publicly.[21] This aspect of the law has led to extensive use of the 501(c)(4) provisions for organizations that are actively involved in lobbying, and has become controversial.[22]

The tax exemption for 501(c)(4) organizations applies to most of their operations, but contributions may be subject to gift tax, and income spent on political activities - generally the advocacy of a particular candidate in an election - is taxable

Which presumably means they have (controversial?) charitable status? rotflmo

From what I can gather, the good work has to be performed by a 3rd party (SCIF) for either legal or tax benefit (or perhaps both) reasons.

rotflmo Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed
Administrator
Posted 30 November 2010 09:35 Hide Post

Am I correct?

www.accuratereloading.com

Saeed,

The monies go to the right place...7 million salaries and benefits!!!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The results are interesting when people that have little or NO understing of US Federal Tax laws read them and attempt to explain the meaning in the law to others that have no understanding of subject laws.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read the forms that Mike so kindly included, I was rather surprised by some of the "expenditures" and wondered how the tarnation that SCI could be running $50K of bad debt.... What are they doing lending money???? (or extending that kind of credit- same thing.) And that was not the only question- rent??? doesn't SCI-F own the building? All the so called volunteer leaders working 40 hours a week, and the volunteer chapter prez's working 5 hours a week for the national body?

I realize that how the IRS requires organizations to file will make things look strange, but the fact that SCI is supposedly a volunteer organization and the largest item on their ledger is executive pay and benefits... something is not quite kosher here.

Fortunately, in the last SCI mag the president asked members to contact him if they had suggestions/comments. I don't anywhere near agree wholeheartedly that the org is as good as it could be, but you have to be a member to have a seat at the table.

I would suggest that if you are a member and have an issue that you want to address with the SCI org, you take the opportunity to email him. Whining on AR, especially the subgroup that are not members who whine on AR is not going to help anything, is it?

BTW, I'm not going to put his email here- if you are a member, you got it, if not, join then complain to him.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
CR,

The Bad Debt may be a pledge of a contribution that was never fulfilled. I am not sure of the exact accounting but I believe if I pledge to SCI that I will give them $50k over the next 3 years they book that as an account receivable. If I later call up and say sorry, not going to come thru with the money then they write it off as bad debt.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
oops.

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Whining on AR, especially the subgroup that are not members who whine on AR is not going to help anything, is it?

Well I totally agree with you, but try to get them envolved. Good luck with that. Monday morning quarterbacking/just not bothering to be involved is much easier.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe if I pledge to SCI that I will give them $50k over the next 3 years they book that as an account receivable. If I later call up and say sorry, not going to come thru with the money then they write it off as bad debt.

I believe that is tax fraud.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
I believe if I pledge to SCI that I will give them $50k over the next 3 years they book that as an account receivable. If I later call up and say sorry, not going to come thru with the money then they write it off as bad debt.

I believe that is tax fraud.

Why? If you post something as a receivable I could see wanting to get it discounted if it in fact was not received. Perhaps don't include pledges as receivables until received?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

It is only tax fraud if I took deductions worth $50K.

Grants or pledges are canceled now and again. I can tell a charity I will give them $50K over three 3 years and if I only gave them $15K a year for 3 years and all I reported to the IRS was a $15K a year deduction it is not tax fraud.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike I think it can only be bad debt if it's first accounted as income. I highly doubt they would book as income in this tax year a pledge for three years from now.

Bad debt is probably more along the lines of bad checks etc from members and vendors etc. For a multi-million operation 50,000 is not excessive.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is only tax fraud if I took deductions worth %50K.
a $50k write off is a $50k deduction

Grants or pledges are canceled now and again. I can tell a charity I will give them $50K over three 3 years and if I only gave them $15K a year for 3 years and all I reported to the IRS was a $15K a year deduction it is not tax fraud.
That is correct, if you donate $15k/yr to a charity, you get to deduct $15k/yr from your taxable income. However, this is not what we were discussing.

I do not know for sure but would feel comfortable betting that SCI files their return on a cash basis (I cannot think of any reason to voluntarily file on accrual). It was my understanding that what was stated was that if they have recieved a commitment for a $50k donation over the next 3 years they list it as an account receivable. If they are filing on a cash basis this does not count as income until it is collected. Then when the donation is cancelled they write it off (or deduct it) as a bad debt. Let's say for arguments sake that there tax bracket is 35%, this would mean that they will deduct $17,500 from their taxes for just stating that they were going to get a donation. That is tax fraud. If it wasn't everyone in this country that files under cash would make up a bunch of sales, list them as receivables, then write them off as bad debt when they never happened and never pay a dollar of taxes. Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood the situation you have described.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All,

The number is not $50K it is $570K. I just went and looked at the SCI-F forms and the account on a accrual basis not a cash basis. See a note on page 24 about write-offs.

I am not saying this is the whole $570K it may only be a portion of it or none of it.

505 - I thought you were saying the donor was comitting tax fraud.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
It’s been more than a dozen years since I was privy to what goes on inside SCI, but I can think of three or four ways it could be stuck with a bad debt. There probably are many more.

Without extending credit, one way would be for a number of outfitters to go out of business after SCI has paid them their agreed-upon-share of an auction bid. (Not all hunt donations are 100%. Some are 50/50, others 30/70, or whatever). This would cause the club to refund those entire bids to the high bidders.

As someone above mentioned, depending upon how the accounting is done, there also might be losses posted to clear up earlier revenue entries when a member does not pay for the item/hunt he bought at an auction, or when a chapter pledges to pay a certain amount for a project and then shuts down without paying after SCI has paid for that project.

Actual bad debt also occurs when advertisers file for bankruptcy or simply do not pay for multiple ads in Safari magazine, Safari Times and the Convention News. A full page ad costs $3,300-$3,700 in the magazine and $2,700 in the newspaper, so it could be possible for a previously good-paying advertiser to suddenly go belly up while owing $15,000 or even more for ads in SCI publications.

Before someone complains about a non-profit organization extending credit, while publishing industry practices do call for first-time advertisers to pay in advance, advertisers with good payment histories usually have up to 90 days after publication to pay before their ads are refused. Advertising agencies (an important revenue source for any publication) absolutely will not pay for a client’s ad before it is published, and some are notoriously slow payers.

SCI’s publications had a very low rate of losses due to non-payment when I was there, especially when compared to other specialty publications of similar size. This was mostly because we had a big hammer to use in collecting: advertisers had to pay everything they owed our division if they wanted to exhibit at conventions. I assume the same policy still is in effect.

Something extraordinary must have happened for the club’s bad debt total to reach $586,555, however. It would be interesting to know what it was.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I should have been a little clearer. As you pointed out the total is $586K and change.

The interesting part is $570k was associated with SCI-F and $16K to SCI. You would think it would have been the other way given SCI runs the magazine and the convention etc.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is SCI publications included in this accounting??

Not hard to imagine $50K per year of bad debt with that kind of turnover but you wouldnt want it happening all the time eh??

There could be all sorts of things they are writing off as bad debts too.... cancellation of booth spaces (even if they resell them) stuff like that maybe??

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Matt,

The numbers include SCI publications. As I said, the large write off was related to SCI-F.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Is SCI publications included in this accounting?? Not hard to imagine $50K per year of bad debt with that kind of turnover but you wouldnt want it happening all the time eh?? There could be all sorts of things they are writing off as bad debts too.... cancellation of booth spaces (even if they resell them) stuff like that maybe??

$50,000 in bad debt computes to a 2% loss for a publications division grossing about $2.5 million, which is what I'm guessing all of SCI's publications are churning now.

Similar size publications with good management were writing off up to 5% of their gross sales when I still was active in the industry. With the state of the world economy what it is now, that percentage may have grown.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Um...can somebody tell me why everybody keeps referencing $50K in bad debt...

The number is $586K and $570K is within SCI-F which does not produce the publication.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they are quoting it because I messed up and didn't put an extra zero when I typed it in.

Ya know its easier to quote an idiot who posted (me) than read it yourself....

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
yuck

but sadly often true

Mike