THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Where to go for up close buffalo hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go for up close buffalo hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
I want to go buffalo hunting and am seeking advise. I want an up close shot oportunity for a double gun w/open sights. I don't have deep pockets so Tanzania is out, but Zambia or Zim is doable if the area meets with my request.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Never hunted in Zambia, but there are plenty of places in Zim where the cover is thick enough to get a buff up close.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done well in Zambia, shot 5 buff in 5 years all with doubles all up close furthest was 40 yards closest about 12 yards. Mark Young on this Forum books for Muchinga Adventures, other members here have used them as well, the real deal. If you feel safe go to Zim, I won't go there till Mugabe takes a nap. Tell Mark you want to hunt with Alister, he as well likes close up action.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Obviously area is important but equally important is the PH you hunt with. Some like to get close and some like to get CLOSE.

The closest I've ever had a client take a Buff was just 4 yards, but I have to say, that was a bit too close.......... and it was in Tanzania which you say is outside your budget.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain 1

What double do you plan on using?

I have only hunted buff in Zim, but I do recommend hunting there.

You might want to think about a cow elephant as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
I assure you I am not who you think I am, because I am officially a nobody, I hunt with Alister every year because he's a friend. I am not in the industry, just a buffalo junkie
But thanks,
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must confirm...Steve (chipolopolo) is just a plain 'ol safari junkie like me. Met him in Zambia and he's tellin' it straight up. If you don't want Zim and Tanz is a bit steep....I'd try Zambia...as a matter of fact, look at my post Zambia with Muchinga Adventures) and that of Andy (adrook)...he JUST got back from hunting with Alister. Great place to go. I booked with Mark Young myself and was very happy.
I hunted Zim in 2006 and took a nice buff...they ARE there. Give Mark a call and see what Johnny (Muchinga) has. You can't go wrong with Zambia.....or Muchinga.

Good luck on your choice.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cant go wrong in the Zambezi Valley of Zim or if an adventure is to your liking, Niassa area of Moz would be an option for buff up close.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
OK sorry, I thought you were someone else - I've changed my original post accordingly!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Masiland

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from hunting with Russ Broom Safaris in the Zambezi Valley of Zimbabwe. Their concession is over 100 miles long and holds about 8000 buffalo.

The hunting method is to find a track and then track the buffalo. We tracked buff for six days and tracked the one I shot for three of those.

Because the buffalo only move at night, and hole up in thick stuff during the day, you are almost guaranteed that any shot will be close because you can't see them far away.

Twice we came up on the buffalo and it detected us first. We heard hoofs fading into the distance. The third afternoon, we saw the tick bird fly from a thicket and we shot the buffalo at about 40 yards (first shot), less than that for the second and third.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Masiland

I hope you won't mind my pointing out that

A) Masailand is in Tanzania which has also been ruled out.... and

B) Masailand is also well known for having lots of wide open spaces and and large parts of it are referred to as the Masaii steppes...... Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain 1

A good place for cape buff and plains game as well is the SAVE in Zim.

They have some BIG cape buff there, BIG in body and horn.

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Brain 1

A good place for cape buff and plains game as well is the SAVE in Zim.

They have some BIG cape buff there, BIG in body and horn.

Save is fine for short distance shooting of Buffalo. Hunted there with Shangaan hunters, Gordon Duncan Nov 2007.

I shot this buffalo, 39", when he charged UNPROVOKED from a distance of about 12 yards high up in a kopje, first shot at 6-7 yards. He passed between me and one of the brave trackers, a gap of no more than 2 yards..

He died finally

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I would like to shoot my 500NE Merkel. I also have a CZ550 416 Rigby as a back-up/extra gun. It's not that I wouldn't want to do Tanzania, it's just that if I go there I will not get to do much as the hunts are priced so that I couldn't afford lunch on the way there or back. I have been to Zambia, just not hunting in Zambia. I looked at Namibia, but rule it out as most shots are long as the buff are found on the mostly treeless plains of the Caprivi. Also I am not looking for inches as much as age. I would rather shoot a very old, past breeding age, "daga boy", with worn tips, rather than a prime, high scoring middle aged breeder. I don't think my head is up my ass on this, but I have never been buffalo hunting either. I appreciate all the responses, please keep them coming. You guys are confirming what I though was going to be the best bets.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain1

What about your Merkel 9,3? That would make a good backup to your 500NE Merkel.

Take a look at Brooklands Safaris. They have some great buff on their SAVE Conservency land.

It is private property so poaching is pretty much under control.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I could take my 9.3 too, I guess. Thanks 450

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your sweet little 9,3 [for those of you that do not know, it is the small frame Merkel,scoped, very nice], would be a great second gun for buff and great for plains game.

Especially when hunting in typical Zim thorn bush.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain1

Something you might want to look into is getting approval, ie the proper permit, to "export" a rifle of 50 cal.

It seems like, in some places, the TSA is not letting 50 cal rifles "on the plane".

Sporting rifles are supposed to be exempt, but IF I had a 50 cal rifle I would get permits, or letters from what ever Depts. of the Government claim jurisdiction in this area.

Many people do not realize that even Mil Dot Reticle scopes are "controlled".

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450:

It is not the rifle's caliber that has been the problem in some cases, it has been the ammunition, IIRC. Ammo confiscated but the rifles have been allowed out of the country.

It seems some TSA agents are interpreting the BATF rules differently causing problems for some.

Do a search here and on "Big Bore" rifles for current discussions.

Both SCI and NRA are aware of the problem and have said they are trying to remedy it.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Firearms imports seem to be getting more complicated and restrictive by the year........ I hate to say it, but I can see a time coming where it'll either be banned or made so difficult it won't be worth doing and hunters will have to use camp/hire rifle etc.........

Still, look on the bright side, at least it'll mean fewer excess baggage problems! rotflmo

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
Save is fine for short distance shooting of Buffalo. Hunted there with Shangaan hunters, Gordon Duncan Nov 2007.

I shot this buffalo, 39", when he charged UNPROVOKED from a distance of about 12 yards high up in a kopje, first shot at 6-7 yards. He passed between me and one of the brave trackers, a gap of no more than 2 yards..

Gordon and I returned to the scene of the crime last month, and he showed me where the events unfolded for your buff. He said it was pretty hairy.

They do have some nice buff there. They started with good genes and have managed them well.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want close, consider the time of year when when you hunt. In the March-May period the vegetation will be green and lush all over Zim especially the Zambezi Valley. You are almost sure to have a close encounter then.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could have taken both of my Botswana Buffaloes with open sights, and my buddy did take his with with irons.
The question really is "How much can you budget for the hunt?". $15,000 - $20,000 will get you a great Buffalo hunt in many places. If you need to be substantially less than that, you have to take what you can get.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote