Find
Notify
Tools

Courtney's v. Russell's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a pair of safari boots would be great. What are the differences between Courtney's and Russell's and which provide for the most comfort and stealth under typical elephant hunting conditions?

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm sure someone will report on Courtney's, I had heard they don't always fit well so I avoided them. My PH wore them and thought the world of them as many other people I've talked to.

I chose Russell's for an elephant hunt earlier this season. They worked great - were very light, comfortable, quiet and rugged (in that order). Since I went early in the season I wanted them to be somewhat waterproof and had a heck of a time doing that. Russell thought I was goofy calling with my waterproofing questions. The stuff they recommended didn't do it. Snowseal was the only thing that finally worked. I'm sure it wouldn't work very long but my feet were dry for that whole safari (even crossing shallow rivers).

Overall the Russell people were great to work with and they didn't laugh when I asked what they have in size 15 and 16.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

Others may feel different but I own both Coutrneys and Russels. Russels are +/- 15 years old and still going strong. They are very comfortable and long wearing. only maintanence that they get is a good coat of Snowproof each year. I usually set them in the sun sometime during the month of sept to warm them real good and rub the snowproof on late in the afternoon and they are good for another season.
Courtneys are practically new as they don't fit my feet well and are for sale $50.00US plus shipping, size 12.
Good luck with your research and God bless the wife that will buy her husband hunting boots.

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I own two pairs of Selous and they are great.
I also have a pair of HighVeld shoes and they fit me well too.
The selous are very silent to stark with. And easy to break in.
Due to the wide construction they are very comfortable to wear when you have a vide foot.

If you decide to get Courteey's then get the Selous and not the Safari, the Tracker or the Frontier.
The Selous are the best they make IMO.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input you guys. I wish I was a size 12 so I could take advantage of your offer. But, I'm a 9 1/2 D.

I'm going to the Dallas Safari Club Convention and it looks like W.C. Russell Co. will be there. Any recommendation as to which style to look at or avoid?

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Jeff, you have a PM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

I have a pair of both. Actually two pair of Russell PH II.

Like the others, the Courtney's don't fit me well enough to hunt in. Too much slippage in the heel. They are great as casual shoes though. I have a big and WIDE foot and the Courtney boots are for this type of foot.

Get measured by the Russell people and I went with their PH II, dark green(water resistant),leather with the airbob sole. They are wonderful. I to waterproofed mine with Snow Seal.

All the best.

Sam

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more for the Russell. I do not have courtneys so can not compare. The Russell PH II with the crepe sole is my favorite footwear bar none. I sent them back to be resoled recently and said make me another pair just like these, same size everything. They said these are too old and stretched out to know how to duplicate them. They must be over ten years old. In truth they are only 5 years old but I wear them all the time. I love them that much. I will continue to wear them but I already ordered another pair. If you get as much enjoyment as I have you will get your money's worth out of them.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I have had a similar problem. I've not sent them back yet, but I will. I've antelope and pheasant huntted with them and they are comfortable in a way that I have never had the pleasure of experiencing before, but the loose soles and some rough cutting is a little disappointing for such a high dollar shoe (mine are modified "hikers").

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of custom Russel High Country Hunters and have worn them for 7 hunts in Zimbabwe. I seal them with Pecard silicone from Russel and have NEVER had wet feet. They have Gro-Cord soles. I also have 4 pairs of Courtneys and find them to be equally comfortable. The Courtney's were definitely cheaper. (I bought them in Zim) I guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I must be the only one who has trouble with Russell boots. I went to Berlin Wisconsin to be fitted for my PHII's. After one trip to Africa I had to send them back as the soles were coming off. Since then I've shipped them back twice to have the inner-soles repaired as they were causing me blisters. Still isn't right and I simply don't wear them anymore.

I'm back to wearing a pair of off-the-shelf Red Wing workboots that are over 10 years old that wear like iron and cause me no problems.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Russells - hands down.

The courtneys look cool, but really don't add up to that much of a boot! There's no support, no lining, just cool-looking leather laced down onto a rubber tread.

I think all of the PH's like them b/c they are the best they have available. I paid $50.00 for elephant courtneys in zim, and a pair of russells will set you back 5 or 6x that amount.

depending on the climate, i reccomend the russell PH if you want them to "look good" on, wear them in rockier country, but for the lowveld area - slip on their kalahari tracker when it's time to get out of the toyota and head in after a kudu. They are tough, lighter and much more ground-sensitive than the heavier PH's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Courteny's, one in buffalo, and one in elephant leather. I have wide feet and they are the most comfortable hunting boots I've ever worn for bushveld type hunting. The buffalo leather ones are in their seventh year, eighth safari, and I think my feet will wear out before the boots will. There is no break in required with those tire tread soles, just put 'em on and go hunting. Do take care to get the proper size shoe as they come in the european sizes which are usually one half to one size smaller than the US sizes.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about Rogues? I�ve been using them the last three years and they�re great -actually the whole family uses them. Rugged, soft (they really don�t need to be broken in) and quiet (at least if you�re not clumsy like me). Check there homepage you won�t be dissapointed.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I prefer Russell's. The Courtney is OK, but the styling is a bit funky to suit me, and the toe area is too flat. I don't like the bent-metal lacing hooks they use, either. The best thing about the Courtney Selous is the sole -- otherwise the design, quality, and fit isn't as good as Russell.

I wear either Russell Imperials with the soft brown Vibram Air-Bob sole in Weather-tough leather, or else the Safari PH in Cape buffalo with the same Vibram Air-Bob soles in Africa.

Russell is supposed to have a new version out called the "Mountain PH" which I intend to look into.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My second pair of PH II's arrived today, as fate would have it. They fit as nicely as my first pair. Nice boot.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn Courtneys, worn a couple of pair out and I like them for Africa...I have had Russels come apart and have seen other come apart, some really like them so it must depend on which model you get....

All in all I like Wrangler Horseshoes, Justins and Arait boots better than anything else I have worn...and their a heck of a lot cheaper...IMO there are Lots of good boots out there at a lot less money that are better then Courtneys or Russels if you can get passed the status symbol...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I have both, and Each day in Zim, I found myself reaching for my Russells in the morning. I don't think I even put the Courtney's on the whole time i was there.

In fact, I like my PHII's so much, I have ordered three pairs of custom shoes from them, a pair of which i have on right now. They feel broken in right out of the box.

I wear a 15EEEE, so I guess custom made shoes just fit me better than off the shelf boots and shoes.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wear a 15EEEE, so I guess custom made shoes just fit me better than off the shelf boots and shoes.

Really are they build in a ship yard

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm sure someone will report on Courtney's, I had heard they don't always fit well so I avoided them. My PH wore them and thought the world of them as many other people I've talked to.

I chose Russell's for an elephant hunt earlier this season. They worked great - were very light, comfortable, quiet and rugged (in that order). Since I went early in the season I wanted them to be somewhat waterproof and had a heck of a time doing that. Russell thought I was goofy calling with my waterproofing questions. The stuff they recommended didn't do it. Snowseal was the only thing that finally worked. I'm sure it wouldn't work very long but my feet were dry for that whole safari (even crossing shallow rivers).

Overall the Russell people were great to work with and they didn't laugh when I asked what they have in size 15 and 16.

Kyler

Kyler - What model Russells do you have? I used the PHs on my first safari, but with canvas sides, they sure ain't waterproof. They were comfortable and did the job, but I had them replace the gummy soles with airbobs when I got back. The soles were toast after 14 days in the bush.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had them replace the gummy soles with airbobs when I got back. The soles were toast after 14 days in the bush.

Jeff,
Your comment about the soles really caught my attention. After reading all the glowing comments about the PH IIs in this thread, I ordered a pair yesterday for my son for Christmas. I thought they would be perfect for our 2005 21-day hunt in Tanzania. Are the "gummy soles" you mentioned the same as the ones Russell describes as "Crepe Wedge," which are the standard soles they put on these boots? If so, based on your experience, it surely doesn't sound like they would last through a hunt like we have planned....

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I where Danner's for everything. One pair for all needs. Bought them from Cabela's, waterproof and form fitting. I need the high ankle support, so Russell or Courtney don't work for me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote