THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Another difficult choice on the ground for Lion Hunter Tanzania

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another difficult choice on the ground for Lion Hunter Tanzania
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So when you are faced with a situation that you will be penalised by shooting a Male Lion under 6 years old,

what do you do?

These are of 2 different Lions and Both I believe over 5 years old, but will they make 6????????

[IMG]

[url=http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y428/justink11/IMG-20140716-WA007_zps29b7c78e.jpg%5B/IMG%

Those are all of the same cat,

here is the second one.

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
I agree Justin , I pity the PH who has to make the call. Both are beautiful cats. Great trophies.
The night time pics do have a tendency to make a lion look older than it is. I've had that myself. However , If I had to gamble with the info at hand , I'd go with the Lion on the first pictures. The 3rd last picture of the day time lion looking at the camera has almost a " baby face " look to it. But then again its one thing to debate about it on the net or be the PH there right now who has to make the call.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first lion is IMO at least 1 yr older than the 2nd lion! As Jan indicates, the 1st pic of the 2nd lion is pretty clear - I believe he's 4/5.

Regardless, both are beautiful cats - and TZ has relaxed the actual law as it pertains to lion/age. Hard choices!!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
These pics of two nice Lion only prove, once again, that basing a "shoot - don't shoot" decision on photos is extremely risky and should almost always be avoided. What the trail cam pics do, is allow a blind to be built for further "eyeball" evaluation of the cats in question.

I agree with everything said by Jan and Aaron, especially relating to interpretation of nighttime trail cam pics, which can be quite misleading, and the fact that I would also rate cat #2 as younger than cat #1.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the trail cam pics do, is allow a blind to be built for further "eyeball" evaluation of the cats in question.

No more, no less.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What did we do before cameras?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Andrew, I believe that in prehistoric times they weren't checking for age.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
quote:

Andrew, I believe that in prehistoric times they weren't checking for age.

................................................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
!both these cats were passed by Ph and client has now finished his Safari with out a Lion

JK

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was having this exact conversation some time ago with a friend of mine , also a PH. Before we had cameras we only had tracks and feeding patterns to go by to determine sex and size of Lion and leopard. Mane hairs on the bait helped with lion. There was always the excitement and mystique of not knowing what the cat really looked like till you hunted him , unless you were lucky enough to surprise him at a bait and see him walking away. Timing the cat was done by using an old battery operated clock with fish line tied to the bait and battery so the cat pulled the battery out of the clock and hence stopped it. I remember when the first electronic timer came on the market and it would log different times it was triggered. We thought , WOW ! can it get any better than this....?
I miss those days. But I'm not getting rid of my cameras.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We hunted him the hard, proper way, in the days when a lion was judged by size, dark skin colour and density of the mane.

I guess we all hunted the wrong way and the end result was the decimation of the lion population, to a point where they are now (according to some people) on the "brink of extinction". coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - awesome cats!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

We hunted him the hard, proper way, in the days when a lion was judged by size, dark skin colour and density of the mane.

I guess we all hunted the wrong way and the end result was the decimation of the lion population, to a point where they are now (according to some people) on the "brink of extinction". coffee

You and me need to damage to a bottle of whiskey one day.

You cannot sell a Lion through a lens and this animal requires the respect of hunting.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkhunter:
!both these cats were passed by Ph and client has now finished his Safari with out a Lion

JK

Sorry to hear this but IMO if one does his homework well before the booking and STICKS TO HIS GUNS, something like this would not have happened.He should go and hunt where he wants to hunt, for what he wants to hunt and not let anything get in the way-its as simple as that.Sometimes you just got to be a mean man with your money.Just the other day I was served a dish with COLD french fries-can you believe that?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

JK

...and you gave him back his money and everyone was happy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

JK

...and you gave him back his money and everyone was happy.

That would be a "first"!!!

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Just the other day I was served a dish with COLD french fries-can you believe that?

Just further evidence of Canada's inextricable march towards totalitarianism.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

Knowledge does not necessarily impede action. But knowledge should, and generally does, inform action, and so serves to nullify lame excuses.

That is a good thing.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

JK

Sorry to hear this but IMO if one does his homework well before the booking and STICKS TO HIS GUNS, something like this would not have happened.He should go and hunt where he wants to hunt, for what he wants to hunt and not let anything get in the way-its as simple as that.Sometimes you just got to be a mean man with your money.Just the other day I was served a dish with COLD french fries-can you believe that?

just when you think this guy has reach the pinnacle of idiocy, he sets a new standard. since when does the client TELL the PH where, when and how he intends to hunt, regardless of the law???? space

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Do not question shootacow - the oracle of the north.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Judged trophy photos.

Posts: 177 | Location: Eastern Slopes of the Northern Rockies | Registered: 15 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway is an ignoramous.
This is precisely what gives me pause to hunt lion. Can I tell if he's just out for a few days away from the wife and kids? Damn I'd love that! But not if it got me shot.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
You cat guys amaze me. Jan, your post is great. Aaron (I'm guessing the American with most lion kills), Justin that has the coolest trophy room, Andrew just seems so cool even though he had a land rover, and I guess fujo is cool but we don't know much about him other than his posts.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Well I for one am grateful for the technology we have today,

Know I know this Boy has moved into the reserve,

JK

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
OK Justin you win. How much?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew

As this is a wild area we will never know if this cat will be seen again but with the high population of Lions around we will get a good Cat on the next Hunt i am sure of it, Unfortunately it’s Sold already

JK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Well, according to 104,000+ idiots on FB - I single handedly decimated the African Lion population. Thus, I must die!!!! Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Aaron Neilson is a convicted POACHER why do you listen to him? http://www.scribd.com/doc/231847281/Poacher