THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    all around bullet choices in .375 and .416

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

all around bullet choices in .375 and .416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For my first African hunt, in August 09, I'm planning on using my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H for the plains game portion...zebra, kudu, gemsbok, eland, smaller stuff. I've used this caliber for years with various 270-gr handloads and factory loads, with good success on deer, black bear and moose. For this trip, should I consider finding/working up a load with a 300-gr bullet? If so, which one? Or should I just stick with the 270-gr weight? I would sight this to zero at 200, would be willing to use it at 300.

Similarly, for the buffalo portion of the hunt I plan on using a Ruger 77 in .416 Rigby and am looking for suggestions for a load. I'm planning on sighting dead-on at 100 yards, not because I want or expect to take a buff at that distance but rather so that I can shoot up to 200 if some exceptional warthog or some such presents itself. I haven't taken anything with this gun other than a couple of coyotes and varmints, but I've used it enough to be comfortable with it.

And yes, I know that I don't need these calibers for this hunt, that a .375 bolt gun would suffice for everything, blah, blah, blah.
After 43 years of scheming and dreaming, this hunt has to be done a certain way. That way includes these guns.

Looking forward to some input from the been-there, done-that crowd. Thanks.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

A reason to load the 300's for your 375 is to back up your 416 just in case you had some problems with it. TSX would be my choice. The 400 gr TSX would be my choice here also.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I used 300 gr and 270 gr TSX handloads in my .375 RUM on separate trips on a good variety from Steenbuck to Buffalo. For just PG, I would use the 270 gr.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your intended purposes, I would use any of the premium bullets in 260 or 270 grain weights for the 375. For the 416 I would also use a premium bullet, Barnes, Nosler or Swift in 400 grain weight and have a few solids as back up for buff.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A reason to load the 300's for your 375 is to back up your 416 just in case you had some problems with it. TSX would be my choice. The 400 gr TSX would be my choice here also.

I have to agree with Mark on this one. 300 grainers will work just fine on plains game, but 270 grainers are on the light side for buffalo, I would load the 300 grain premium bullets for the .375 H&H. Then, if anything happens to either rifle, you have a good buffalo rifle available AND a decent, flat shooting plains game rifle available.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 270 or 300 grain premium bullet in the .375 and a 350-400 grain premium bullet in the .416.

When I say "premium" - bullets such as the Swift A-Frame, the Barnes TSX or the North Fork are what I have in mind.

Choose what shoots best in your rifles, since you can't go wrong with such bullets.

As for powders, RL-15 will work well in both calibers.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep same from me, I would go with 270 or 300 grainers in either Swift Aframe, Barnes, or Nosler Partition.

I have shot over 20 plains game with a 300 RUM and factory 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets. 99 % were boom flops.

My other super favorite is Swift A-frames. Vey tough and accurate in my 416 Rem Mag. Soft point 400 grain flattened a Buff in Tanzania pushed @ 2450 fps handloads.

Regards PAH

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Yep, Swift A-Frames

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
I used Swift A-Frames in Namibia in 2007 on 20 head of game and could not have asked for more.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TSX 300gr was wonderful on buff and plains game in my 375 RUM. I'm loading them for my 416 Rigby now, but have not yet shot them at game. They really shoot well.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Mark said 300 and 400 grain TSXs respectively. Take solids if you must but IMO they are not indicated for the animals you listed if using Triple Shoks.
Enjoy your safari, it's difficult not to, but some manage.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 300 gr TSX driven at 2600 fps from the .375 H&H and the 350 gr TSX driven at 2700 from the Rigby.

The 350 gr Barnes bullet works extremely well on Buf!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Frame, TSX , whatever shoots the best. I'd load 300 grain in the 375. You're good to 300 yards.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I would pick the 300 grain TSX for the 375 because if you happen upon a great buffalo and you're holding the 375 you know it will do the job.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd probably use the 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the 375 H&H.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
I'd probably use the 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the 375 H&H.

I have had great performance from the 300gr Trohpy Bonded Bearclaws for everthing from impala to eland in weight.

Bring a few solids for the 375H&H for either buff if your 416 goes missing oe tits up, and also for smaller game such as kilipspringer or grysbok, where a soft will do more damage than you'll wish.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
for smaller game such as kilipspringer or grysbok, where a soft will do more damage than you'll wish.

I really don't think it matters what type of bullet you use when you shoot an animal the size of these little critters, up to say an Impala, with a larger caliber weapon. Soft or solid, they whistle right through, in my experience

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
416 Rigby - TSX 400 grains, 100 grains H4831SC, Federal GM215M primers.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:
quote:
for smaller game such as kilipspringer or grysbok, where a soft will do more damage than you'll wish.

I really don't think it matters what type of bullet you use when you shoot an animal the size of these little critters, up to say an Impala, with a larger caliber weapon. Soft or solid, they whistle right through, in my experience

I used solids, because the PH told me that softs will ruin them. Even the solids do too much damage.

The beauty of the 300gr Trophy Bonded is that it opens on the smaller stuff, but doesn't open too much on the bigger stuff. They open on impala for sure. I would think they would open on some shots on even grysbok.

Better to use a solid and be sure of not ruining the trophy's hide, I think.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot a majority of all of my smaller antelope and cats with the trophy bonded sledgehammers and they are the ticket to not ruining the trophy for sure. One key is not shooting the smaller trophy animals directly in the shoulder but a little further back. It's worked for me without any lost animals.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
For my first African hunt, in August 09, I'm planning on using my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H for the plains game portion...zebra, kudu, gemsbok, eland, smaller stuff. I've used this caliber for years with various 270-gr handloads

if you have used these loads a lot i would recommend that you keep on useing it just with a premuim bullet,you already know the trajectory its more than enough for the game you are looking for

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
416 Rigby - TSX 400 grains, 100 grains H4831SC, Federal GM215M primers.

you must not hit the pen so hard through the paper jumping

just kidding excelent grouping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
SBT - What kind of velocity are you getting with that load in your Rigby? I ask because I'm going to work up a load for my Rigy with the 400 Gr. TSX using the same powder. I've used the 400Gr. Barnes Banded solid with good results on elephant but had to use more than 100 Gr. of H-4831 to achieve my desired velocity fo 2400 fps.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 416 I am using 350 gr barnes TSX and solids with 102 gr of h-4831. I am averaging about 2400 fps and am very happy with the results. I plan on using it on buff hunt this summer. Enjoy.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Barnes X in 270 grains for my 375 and took all the PG you listed with great results, 1 shot kills.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I've used TSX in both the 375 and the 416 (though I've not taken the 416 across the pond). I'd stick with the 270's in the 375 and the 400's in the 416. In a pinch there's nothing wrong with the 270's from the 375 on buff.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote