New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber Designation?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am putting a gun together and was planning on having the cartridge engraved on the barrel. The problem is that time is getting short and I need to be shooting rather than waiting on an engraver. I can't remember if the customs folks here or the gun import folks in Namibia paid any attention to anything other than the serial number.

Is anyone, either here or in Africa, going to care if the barrel is labeled as to cartridge?

How about stamping the caliber under the wood line?

Thanks.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that I ever had anybody look at the caliber stamp, but with todays para-normals it might just be a good idea to stamp it on the bottom.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Africa, but last year when I went hunting in Mexico they did check the stamped caliber against my ammo.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray,
Subject to correction, as I recall, to bring a rifle into South Africa you need the serial number on the action, the barrel and the bolt handle (if it's a bolt). The last is easy to do: I had a Dakota action stocked in the RSA and when checked, the gunsmith had put the s/n that came from Dakota on the action on the other two locations. The one on the bolt was tucked under and out of sight unless you raise the bolt and look hard...
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
Section 23 of the South African Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000 says the following:
quote:
23 Identification marks on firearms:
(1) No firearm licence may be issued unless the firearm bears the manufacturer's serial number or any other mark by which the firearm can be identified.
(2) The identification number must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel, frame or receiver of the firearm.
(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), the Registrar may, on good cause shown by the applicant and subject to such conditions as the Registrar may impose, issue a licence in respect of a firearm which does not comply with the provisions of those subsections.
(4) The Registrar may direct that any firearm in respect of which an application for a licence has been made, be marked with such additional identification mark as he or she may determine.
(5) No person may erase, alter or in any other manner tamper with the manufacturer's serial number or any other identification mark on a firearm with the intention of changing the identity of the firearm.
(6) A person who is in possession of a firearm of which the manufacturer's serial number or other identification mark has been erased, altered or in any other manner tampered with or has become illegible, must forthwith notify the Registrar of such fact.
(7) The Registrar may direct in writing that such firearm be marked with such identification mark as he or she may determine.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a serial number...BTW many double guns have the serial number on the trigger guard in the grip area, and they have been passing customs for years...I have taken many guns without caliber markings..but its such a simple procedure that takes about 15 minutes that I see no reason why you can't get it done..any jeweler or smith can do it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
In June 2004 the South African police were very particular as to the serial number. On my Blaser, I had registered the receiver's serial number (consistent with U.S. law) with U.S. Customs prior to departure, but SAPS wanted the serial number on the barrel instead, because that's where the chambering was also engraved. They didn't make a fuss about it, but I suppose they could have.

In Zambia, they definitely checked the engraved chambering on the barrel against the headstamp to see that they matched. They also charge an ammo import fee PER CARTRIDGE, and they counted the number of rounds going out as well as coming in, so keep that in mind when you're planning your ammo supply if you're hunting in Zambia.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Think we got it taken care of.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had caliber markings checked in several countries

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had caliber marking checked also, but when its not there they don't hang you, you simply buy their grandmother about $10.00 worth of tea...

There are times when they are just looking for a newbie in the line...ever notice that some folks are checked carefully and others pass by..sometimes you have to pay ammo tax and the guys in front and back are not even checked?

I guess you have to make your bones in the 3rd world, pay your dues, until then you get ripped, but if you do get ripped, just grin, act dumb and go along with the program is probably the best advise, they are a kind hearted people unless you push your luck to far. In the many years I have been traveling, I have never experienced a single problem, sometimes I get some questions, thats about it..but then I don't look like I just stepped out of a Cabellas catalong either, and thats part of the problem, easy mark! wave

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slingster:
In June 2004 the South African police were very particular as to the serial number. On my Blaser, I had registered the receiver's serial number (consistent with U.S. law) with U.S. Customs prior to departure, but SAPS wanted the serial number on the barrel instead, because that's where the chambering was also engraved. They didn't make a fuss about it, but I suppose they could have.

In Zambia, they definitely checked the engraved chambering on the barrel against the headstamp to see that they matched. They also charge an ammo import fee PER CARTRIDGE, and they counted the number of rounds going out as well as coming in, so keep that in mind when you're planning your ammo supply if you're hunting in Zambia.

One thing to remember about all of this serial number business: A Blaser has a detachable/interchangable barrel. I can see SAPS wanting the serial number on the barrel as well as the frame for that type of firearm. On a regular bolt action rifle, I think a serial number on the frame is all that's needed.

Just my two cents worth....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote