THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    W. D. M. Bell, a few faint tracks in official paperwork...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W. D. M. Bell, a few faint tracks in official paperwork...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Searching for something totally unrelated (well, not exactly... I was looking for the provenance of a rifle from the late 20's), I made some interesting finds.

Bell's appearance in firearms records in Mombasa on 26 January 1905, and later dates - he was just 25 at the time (also, check the name just above his...):

Years later, it seems he was leasing an estate in Kenya, but just left it at that (he was probably long gone from East Africa then):

And during WWII, he still had untended money in a bank in Nairobi (equivalent to $280 of the day, which would be $4,500-$5,000 in today's value):

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What an amazing historically important find. It is interesting to see what others brought to hunt with.
Thanks so much for posting this.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. I just got the book "The Last of the Few" by Tony Sanchez-Arino. I am saving it to read, just before my Sept trip to Zim.

I really admire the grit of those "good old boys" back in the heyday of African hunting.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lots of Mannlichers in .256 and lots of .303s. This was the era of the new, small bore, high velocity (for the day), smokeless powder rifles. Very interesting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a small community back then. The most fascinating time and place in history in my opinion.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
As a guy who has nerded out on some deep research, I love this stuff. Nice find!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
neat love reading this old stuff. i remember years ago when paul still owned Rigbys him showing me the old ledgers of gun deliveries, some interesting names in them from the early 1900`s

Posts: 81 | Location: uk and zambia | Registered: 27 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Press found a collection of journals and manuscripts of Karamojo Bell. There is a picture of it on their facebook page. I read a couple of the handwritten stories and can confirm these are new, not published. Along with these new stories, there are a cache of drawings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! another WDM Bell fan. Good on you - I found these a couple of years ago - its interesting to see that I cant find anything earlier than 1905 and the rifles registered were .303's, I think a 7mm Mauser is not mentioned until 1906/07.
I think he got a later start than many people have surmised, he didn't get straight into it after the Boer war the way it reads in many of the biographies, and may have travelled back to England and returned for his first real safari around 1905. (The registereing of the .450 xpress rifle above sort of backs that up also, he wrote in a letter that he only used his .450/400 double rifle on his first proper safari and never used it again after he had a scare with a buffalo.)
The safari written of in Karamojo Safari took place in 1906 I believe, since he mentions that the year after he went on Safari with Harry Rayne,and that happened in 1907.

I also found the property mentioned in the Gazette - it looks like a farm of some kind, he leased the land together with his friend Harry Rayne after WW1, (and he does mention that he had some land in Nairobi in one article.)

I have assumed that the farm may have been to keep the many donkeys and cattle that he owned.
Interestingly, they failed to keep up the lease and it seems they abandoned it by 1924, his last safari was in 1922/23.

The bank was advertising the untouched money in that account in the Kenya Gazette periodically up to 1941. After that I guess they just kept it. Banks huh.

Check out also the RAF/RFC flight magazine - he is mentioned in there several times for his decorations, promotions and some general stuff.

In the RFC FLIGHT magazine he has a short bio written in 1916 - where he is described as the famous African big game hunter - I wonder in what way he was well known prior to WW1? Did he write any articles or anything prior to WW1? I havnt found any mention of it.

It also says that he returned to England to learn how to fly after asking his family to send him a flying machine to Africa so he could use it to spot elephants.
They wrote back saying that flying apparently required some sort of training. He went back to England and spent three months at flying school, sometime around 1909/1910 I believe, but he said that they spent most of the time taxiing around on the ground and only flew a few minutes the whole time, and he dropped out and went back to Africa.
(This forshadows his joining the RFC on the outbreak of the war, he already had some small experience with flying and they would have grabbed him.)

It is interesting that Richard Meinertzhagen was there at the same time. Nairobi is that small its impossible the two young British men virtually the same age and with an interest in big game hunting, would not have met socially, at the club, as it were...

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is interesting that Richard Meinertzhagen was there at the same time. Nairobi is that small its impossible the two young British men virtually the same age and with an interest in big game hunting, would not have met socially, at the club, as it were...

Exactly... Knowing Meinertzhagen general record, and reading carefully between the lines in Bell's writings, I'd be surprised if they did not share a few drinks containing more than hot water and a cloud of milk. What happens in Nairobi by night stays in Nairobi... Cool

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr J Patterson with a 303 Lee Speed in Mombasa also. Wonder if it is The John Henry Patterson?

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is fascinating. I appreciate it. Sometimes my wife and I spend a month after a hunt, looking through museums and battle fields in South Africa. I am very impressed to find this nugget on AR.
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Cool! tu2