THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Travel with Firearm Cleaning Products

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel with Firearm Cleaning Products
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
How do you flying travelers transport your firearm cleaning products? For travel to a dry area, I'm not too concerned; I'll clean when I get home. My concern would be hunting in a wet area. It's a little problematic since you aren't supposed to pack flammable items, etc. Are there airline travel friendly products you've used?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

Besides the airlines' limitations on certain liquids, you DON'T want a bottle of Hoppes leaking in your luggage... And with changes in pressure in an aircraft, there are pretty few bottles that won't leak.

WD40 or one or the other of its knock-offs is available in most places I've visited in Africa, and does a great job for day-to-day gun cleaning and moisture preservation. A small container of gun grease may help, and does not leak (I doubt that any airline would object to a small pot of brownish-looking vaseline...), but here again you can get lithium grease most anywhere. Even if it's not NRA Certified Right Gun Stuff, it does a pretty good job too.

Just my 2 cents...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My advice would be not to bother bringing any firearm cleaning fluids at all. You can be pretty damn sure that your PH will have something with him that he'll be more than happy to let you use..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a breakdown cleaning rod in your gun case and the jag or jag's you need with patches. As Shakari mentioned your PH should have some kind of cleaning solution. I have taken a very small plastic bottle of Hoppies #9 before with no problems.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do as dirklawyer recommends except I always take a small bottle of lube of some kind. That dust can really make the action sticky. I found that the smallest bottle of the Kleen Bore all purpose product works well. I put it in the gun case in a sealed ziplock. I have never had a spill nor the product questioned. If they do question it they can have it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The only travel gun cleaning item you need -- bore snake. If you want to indulge yourself with two items, take a silicon cleaning rage too.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the tiny bottles that Tabasco comes in MRE's. I found that you can also buy these little Tabasco bottles at World Mart or other specialty food stores. They hold maybe 1/2 an oz. They do not leak and one bottle filled with Hoppes and one with WD-40 is all I've ever needed to do a field clean up. I pack them with the right size patches in an empty Speer bullet box, wrap a bit of electric tape around the box. I pack it in with my rifle and break down cleaning rod in the gun case. No problems on two trips.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
I second a boresnake ! I have a few 2X4's soaked in Sheath in a Ziplock baggie, all that's needed for a trip.

In the 80's I served with 32 Bn in Angola and the 32 BN toopers did the damnest thing, they would bathe in rivers and take their AK's into the water with them, afterwards they would strip the AK's down shake our excess water, put them in the sun to dry and then wipe down everything including the bore with a little sponge soaked in diesel fuel scrounged from the vehicles.

The Sponge they got from the platic tube of solid fuel pills that was issued in each ration pack.

They would use this same diesel soaked sponge as a muzzle cover by stuffing it lightly into the AK's muzzle or in the Hungarian Ak's Muzzle brakes

+1 for the bore snake. I took a full length rod on my last trip, as well, as it fits in the gun case. If you do a lot of shooting as in baboons Big Grin you'll need it....................

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I took an oil-soaked rag stored in a ziplock bag, and a boresnake.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my clothes smell like Hoppes already. But I would probably take along a small container of Eezox.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bichwood Casey makes a cleaning product packaged in sealed individual packets much like wash and dries.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the boresnakes. I have been taking them exclusively to Africa since '02.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for bore snakes. I usually take two per caliber ... one with something like Shooter's choice or Hoppe's and the other clean.

Add a silicone rag and the silicone socks on the rifles during transit and there is enough to get by for a couple of weeks.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I tried a bore snake for the first time on a hunt last year. I liked the convenience and effectiveness of it and will get more of them.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Otis kits for cleaning -- similar idea to a boresnake.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I take one small bottle of Hoppe's #9, one small applicator of grease, several patches, small bottle of oil, and put all of them in a small plastic container - like the ones they use for sealing food.

I put this, together with a cleaning rod in my rifle case.

I have been doing this now for so many years.

I also wax the bottom of the actions on my rifles, and all the barrel that fits into the stock.

This helps preven corrosion if the rifle gets wet, and because I really do not wish to open my rifle while on a hunt at all.

An eaxmple last year.

We got soaking wet on a couple of occasions. We finished our hunt, and at the end I took the stock off to clean my rifle before packing it.

There was no rust at all.

Admittedly, my actions are stainless, but even stainless corrodes sometimes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68594 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've soaked patches in solvent, then put them in small screw-top metal cans. Tape the edges and nothing comes out...and I put them is baggies.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the airport nazis in Denver confiscate my rifle cleaning solvent on the way back from a bear hunt in BC. I was using the same kit that had been to africa and back a couple times, and to Alaska and back with no problems. He said it was flammable, of course not as flammable as the 2000 cans of hair spray that were in the cargo hold, but it was for firearm related use. The same a**hole was holding up some varmint hunters who were on their way back to Ca. from SD for having a live round in their luggage until I pointed out it was a dummy they used to set up their loading dies, no primer, no powder.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen, you've given me a lot of good ideas.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
As I've mentioned before, my son is a cop at Denver Intl. He has more problems with the "Airport Nazis" of TSA and travelers than in any other area. Rules vary depending on who is on shift.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote