New
Find
Notify
Tools

first time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
35 or 40 years ago i had hunted much of north america and had not even thought of africa. that is until i was helping setup a sci banquet and someone brought in a life size nyala to display. one look at that and i was on my way. i signed up trevor shaw (man8y of you know him) for late the next spring. i didn't know much of african game but knew i should hunt zebra impala and kudu as well as nyala
my first day out my ph (fred Maris) and his tracker (jimson) spotted a mixed herd of animals that had some ]zebra mix in. we were on the hunt. Sneaking through the brush fred stopped and motioned me to be still. One of the other animals had spotted us While wee were hunkered down i looked down and got the fright of my life. Onour back trail there was a walking turd. Now i never heard of a live turd leave alone one that could walk. After sushing me several times fred explained the existence of a dung beetle. knowing what it was quelled by fears, and now years latter i just call it biebs

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that was the first African "game" you ever tasted!

Posts: 20160 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, memories come flooding back! Back in 1987, my first Africa hunting safari was with Zulu Nyala Safaris. Trevor Shaw, Fred Marais PH, and Jimson the tracker. Had a superb time and subsequently went to various countries eleven more times over the years. Nothing ever quite like that first one though!

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
And that was the first African "game" you ever tasted!

You have to make allowances for bench rest shooters.

The one I know keeps shooting animals in their balls! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I began hunting Africa, my no.1 choice animal was the Nyala. And, it was the first animal I shot in Kwa Zulu Natal with my newly acquired Ruger Express rifle in 338WM back in 2001. I wanted that animal so badly, I did a full body mount. Gorgeous antelope in my eyes!

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife is more tolerant than most. We hunted Africa the first time in 2003. My youngest son spent three evenings waiting on a big nyala to appear. She was with him when one did, he shot it and she promptly announced that it would be a full mount and be in our living room. Still is.....

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My first morning of my first African hunt back in 2012, I shot a 40” Gemsbok Bull and we ate his backstraps that same night. It was the finest wild game I’ve ever eaten, and I have his European Mount hanging in my humble trophy room. Fond memories every time I look at it.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
she promptly announced that it would be a full mount and be in our living room.

Must be my wife's sister! rotflmo rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ok, let us see if any of you can beat this.

First day out, trying to site my rifle, Walter throws one of those nasty bombs next to my feet, it goes off, throws a small rock up, through my trousers legs, and into my calf!

Goes in half an inch!

Good thing is I don’t get infected, as my wife says because of all the lemon and chili’s I eat germs just die!

Anyway, Rene gave him hell.

And I played along, pretending I can hardly walk the next day.

Then one morning Rene and me hatched a plan to really get Walter.

I am normally the first one in the main tent in the morning - and Walter is normally last!

I got some tooth paste and tomato ketchup.

We mixed it to look like blood and puss, and put it on my wound!

Walter walks in, and Rene screams at him, telling him what an idiot he has been as my wound is badly infected!

You should have seen the blood drain out of his face.

I looked at him, and told him if this gets worse, he will need to be carried to the plane!

Poor sod had an awful day, which he bloody well deserves!

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Enough can go wrong in the natural course without the aid of practical jokes.

It’s only when you survive that you can laugh.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Enough can go wrong in the natural course without the aid of practical jokes.

It’s only when you survive that you can laugh.

You are lucky you don't hunt with some of the people I hunt with.

We saw a pride of lions in Zimbabwe, and we followed them

Saw a nice big lion following a lioness into very thick grass.

A few minutes later, we were within about 25 yards of them, mating.

All we could see was the tip of his tail wiggling in the grass.

Someone suggested we walk up to them, and shoot him as he charges.

This despite the fact that one could hardly see further than the end of his rifle barrel

In a very rare memo, common sense prevailed, and the lion got away, and us with our skins intact.