THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    DSC AR DINNER .. FINAL UPDATE, ATTENDEES PLEASE READ
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC AR DINNER .. FINAL UPDATE, ATTENDEES PLEASE READ
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Note as of Thursday, Jan 26: Attendees, please read post below for final windup of arrangements.

Welcome to our 'official' home for the Friday night Dallas Safari Club dinner for AR members at Javier's Restaurant. Posting on the other thread just got kinda unwieldy since there's also stuff going on Saturday as well. Sure didn't want people to get confused about which is which and end up thinking they're confirmed for one, etc.

Here's a copy of the yesterday's post showing confirmed reservations (updated to today). Please note that you DO need to PM or email me with your and your guest(s) name(s) for the name tags if you haven't already done so.

"Okay, folks, here's the final-ish list for Friday night's dinner. I had to cut it off last Friday for confirmed reservations. Perforator, I'll be happy to put you on the waiting list if you'd like; without having confirmed your spot I couldn't list you. I anticipate a few might drop off, so you and anyone else who can come please let me know asap and I'll add you to the waiting list. First listed, first confirmed.

The rest of you, I'd appreciate it if you'd do three things:

1. Confirm your name below and number of people, and let me know if it's not right;
2. PM me or email at dennism@airmail.net and give me the casual name you'd like to use on your name tag (we intend to have your AR name and casual name ... PostDriver, Dennis)and also casual names for your guests if so registered; and,
3. Note if you'll need transportation from the Marriott Suites to Javier's.

Friday Night at Javier's:

1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
2 Dougaboy
3 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
1 Lhook7
2 Rich Elliot
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1
1 Dakota45056
1 Jeffeosso
1 Bobc
1 470CapstickA2
2 FrankBeller
2 ButchSearcy

I talked to Javier today and he almost passed out when I told him how many we have confirmed, 42 [note: I missed one; total should be 43]. He said the only way he can handle us on a Friday night is to place us all at separate large tables but together in one section of one of the main dining rooms. He said to plan on seating around 8pm but it might be a few minutes later than that depending on clearing the tables of earlier diners; perhaps as late as 8:30 before he can assure us all of seating. In the meantime we can have drinks in the cigar bar, or for those not wishing to go in there, there's a limited amount of space in the front bar.

Attire, as pointed out earlier, is nice jeans and up. I'm still not sure of transportation arrangements, but we'll have something worked out leaving from the Marriott Suites for those who need trans, just please let me know so I can get an estimated head count.

Keep in mind that if you or others who are not confirmed for this AR group would like to eat at Javier's that night or whenever, you're more than welcome to make your own reservations and enjoy the restaurant. It's just that the group above will be assured of sitting together, etc.

This should be a lot of fun: placing faces with names, etc. I'm really looking forward to it! More posts to come concerning details."

To recap, here's what each of you needs to do:

1. If you're on the list above, check the number of participants listed next to your name; if the number is incorrect, PM me.

2. PM or email me (dennism@airmail.net) with your (and your guests')'casual' name you'd like shown on your name tag. Also note whether you would like transportation from the Marriott Suites to Javier's and return.

3. If you're not on the list but would like to be, PM me. You'll be gladly placed on the waiting list and notified when space becomes available.

There are a couple of guys who have posted their interest on this thread, but have not confirmed. Perforator and Ramrod, if you want to be on the waitlist, please let me know; as of now you're not.

Okay, a little more of a teaser ... there will be one or two door prizes given at the dinner. A couple of our members have graciously offered a few 'trinkets' to be given away during the dinner. I'll keep the identity and nature of most of the prizes a secret, but one big Thank You needs to go out to Saeed, our esteemed host of AR; Frank Martinez is sending us an original set of Saeed's 2005 Tanzania DVDs to offer up as one of the door prizes ! Yippeeee !

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I'll be sending a few PM's myself for those of you I haven't heard from. I have to get the list of names to Christer by this weekend to give him enough time to do the name tags.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM's sent. If you got one, please reply Smiler .

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
PM's sent. If you got one, please reply Smiler .

Got mine!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Got mine..Thanks,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

You don't really need to reply on here Smiler, just to the PM.

I have everyone except 3; the name tags are being finished up now ! Thanks, Christer!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Post Driver, I didn't get the PM until just a few minutes ago. PM has been sent.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Postdriver, how are we going to get the name tags? Will they be at the show, or by Email? Do we need to send Christer our E-mail address.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's handled.

I'll have your name tags at the Silent Auction area of the show. Just stop by and ask for them !

Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post Driver,

We won't get to Dallas until after show time on friday. WHat's the best way to catch up with those name tags?
\
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just come on over to Javier's. I'll have the unclaimed ones with me.

Looking forward to meeting you, Rich.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope all you guys and gals have a great time! Remember-Party till she's pretty.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"....the unclaimed ones will be with me."

Ah, there was a time I would say this and not be talking about name tags. Wink

Then again, maybe you're not talking about name tags either!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, it's name tags I'm talking about Smiler .

Unless, of course, there are some unclaimed tags for Arizona Elk ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT, please.

I'll be posting a final list of attendees tomorrow, hopefully. I'll also try to detail the transportation situation. I hope to arrange something that will be very cost effective from the Marriott Suites, but even if that falls through, I would imagine a taxi from there to Javier's won't be too bad (prob <$10 to split between riders).

If any of you who have made reservations for this dinner need to cancel, please let me know by posting on here or by PM. We have folks waiting on spots to open up, and I don't the chances of getting more seats is good at all.

Thanks, and see y'all Friday !!

posted Hide Post
PostDriver,

How will we know you when we look for you in the Silent Auction area on Friday?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have my AR 'PostDriver' name tag on. If I'm not around, just mention the AR name tags; I'll leave the box and whoever's there can get your tag. I plan on being there all day, though, unless I'm out rounding up some more of the Silent Auction prizes from the exhibitors.

posted Hide Post
Thanks!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Postdriver:

When we get to Javier's, do we tell them we are there for the "AccurateReloading" Party, or it is under another name?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Ya knock three times, then twice, and when an eyeball appears in the peephole, ya whisper 'Walter sent me'.

Smiler

Or, you can discretely ask for me, hand over your Searcy (cased, of course), and we'll let you in.

I'll see that they're expecting a bunch of rather dashing looking gentlemen and ladies. I'll also tell them that some guys and gals in rather dubious attire will mumble something about 'AR'; those will be the ones to be sent to our area.

We'll no doubt gather in the front bar and cigar bar (the cigar bar has more room) awaiting seating, which will be at ~8:15ish. If you have on your name tag the other AR'ers will be able to accost you and buy you a drink, tell you lies, and otherwise entertain you; you will be expected to return the favor.

Please plan on bringing cash; it will be much easier for you to chip in for the meal and buy your drinks, etc. As mentioned before, plan on about $20-25 for dinner, plus tips and your drinks. I'm still not sure about transportation, but will post asap.

At this point, I know we'll have some DVD's and such to give away as door prizes to AR members.

Be sure to stop by the Silent Auction area and bid on lots of the items there while you're picking up your name tag; we'll have some good items, including some trips that should be well worth the money. Oh, and this year we're closing some of the auctions on Friday at 4:30 so folks who are there only one day will have a chance to bid and win some items.

one of us
posted Hide Post
REGARDING TRANSPORTATION

For thost staying at the Marriott Suites:
I just talked to the Marriott Suites Hotel folks ( http://marriott.com/property/abouthotel/default/dalmt?WT_Ref=mi_left ); they told me they DO have shuttle service available for guests of the hotel which will take you to Javier's and bring you back. There's no advance reservations for them, you just tell them 'about 10 minutes in advance' that you need the shuttle. I presume it's the same thing going back; call (I'll have my cell) and they'll come pick you up. Also, there is NO CHARGE for this service (just tip, I presume).

For the rest of us:
Nada on free trans; OTOH, I don't know whether those of us who are visiting other folks at the Marriott Suites would have to produce a room key to get a ride in the free shuttle with the rregistered guests Wink. If that doesn't work out, I'd just suggest a taxi. From the Market Center area I'd expect the toll to be about $10 ea way. For those of you staying at other hotels, a taxi is prob your best bet, as well. There are just too many different hotels to try to work out a centralized transportation scheme. I contacted a shuttle service but it turned out about as expensive as taking a cab; limos were even more so, plus you'd still have to get to the pickup area.

If you have any individual concerns, talk to me at the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
REGARDING TRANSPORTATION

For thost staying at the Marriott Suites:
I just talked to the Marriott Suites Hotel folks ( http://marriott.com/property/abouthotel/default/dalmt?WT_Ref=mi_left ); they told me they DO have shuttle service available for guests of the hotel which will take you to Javier's and bring you back. There's no advance reservations for them, you just tell them 'about 10 minutes in advance' that you need the shuttle. I presume it's the same thing going back; call (I'll have my cell) and they'll come pick you up. Also, there is NO CHARGE for this service (just tip, I presume).

Why don't those of us who are staying at the Marriott and are not planning on driving to Javier's meet in the lobby at about 7:30PM and take the shuttle together.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Good idea LHOOK. Not sure how many are staying at the Marriott Suites. May have to run the shuttle two times. At any rate, the shuttle should be notified to start picking us up around 7:30. See you in the lobby!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll call the hotel tonight and see how many people the shuttle will handle. I'll also schedule a shuttle pickup for 7:30PM. If we have more responses I'll try to schedule a second pickup time.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate your looking into this. Let's coordinate Friday at the show, ok?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Postdriver,

My flight doesn't land until 4:30pm on Friday, so I don't know if I'll make it to the convention on Friday or not. I'll PM you my cell phone number in case you need to get in touch with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to the people at the hotel and they said they do not reserve the shuttle, that it is on a first come basis. I'll go to the lobby at 7:00pm and try to get it for 7:30pm

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, if my plane going to Dallas is as late as my plane coming back from SCI/Reno
(got in at midnight instead of 5:00 PM),
well, wouldn't it be smart if I knew the address for Javiers? Confused
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
You know, if my plane going to Dallas is as late as my plane coming back from SCI/Reno
(got in at midnight instead of 5:00 PM),
well, wouldn't it be smart if I knew the address for Javiers? Confused
Rich Elliott

The web site.

The address:

Javier's
4912 Cole Avenue
Dallas, TX 75205
214-521-4211

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-H,, etal,
Thanks.

All the clap trap on some of these goofy threads this past few months notwithstanding, I'm really looking forward to seeing EVERYBODY
from last year and meeting some of the new attendees. cheers
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I'm bringing a guest with me who I am trying to talk into an African Safari in '07. He has no idea what AR or African hunting even is about. I need help talkin' it up.

My question is, is there even a very slight chance that this "party" will not break down into a chair throwing, knife wielding drunken brawl? mgun I never thought I would have to ask such a stupid question of folks I thought I knew, but recent events on AR have given me cause to doubt. shame

I'm through preachin' now. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
GA, absolutely not..It is a a bunch of friends and guests also...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
GA- Retreever is correct. It will be a fun event and all firearms (especially doubles) and knives must be must be turned into me for safekeeping. Wink

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Africa hunting pardner(wife) and I will be in the Marriott lobby at 7 pm waiting for this affair to begin.

See you all Friday!!!!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
PostDriver

I will not be able to make it to Dallas this year so take me off the list and maybe someone else can go.

Thanks for setting this up.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CFA, thanks for the update. Sorry you're not going to be able to make it; maybe next year!

I'll update the waiting list momentarily ....

one of us
posted Hide Post
FINAL UPDATE FOR THE DINNER

IMPORTANT: IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO MAKE IT, PLEASE PM OR CALL ME ASAP.

Wow, it's here! Tomorrow night many of us will gather to have dinner, drinks and meet new friends and old. I'm sure a few stories will be told as well.

I'm personally looking forward to meeting each one of you. It will be nice to put some faces with names. I have no doubts that this will be a harmonious affair and the best of our gracious personalities will shine through. After all, this is to be a time of relaxation and enjoyment for all, and thoughts of others' comfort and wellbeing shall prevail.

Here's the final (as far as I know) list of attendees:

Friday Night at Javier's:

1 PostDriver
1 CChunter
2 577NitroExpress
2 Dulcinea
2 Dougaboy
4 Retreever
4 N E 450 No 2
3 Lhook7
2 Rich Elliot
2 Mighty Joe
1 CFA
2 30ott6
2 SBT
1 Hog Killer
1 MacD37
2 George S
3 Mike B
2 GAHunter
1 VFR1
1 Dakota45056
1 Jeffeosso
1 Bobc
1 470CapstickA2
2 Frank Beller
2 Butch Searcy

We have cleared the waiting list; I just hope Javier can find room for the extra three folks I stuck in Smiler .

ATTIRE:

Dallas is a pretty casual place, and that follows at most restaurants. Please feel free to dress comfortably. Nice jeans are fine, or slacks. Jackets entirely optional. Nice safari-type clothing is appropriate (no blood stains, please Smiler ). This is not a suit-and-tie-expected kinda place, but dress nicely.

DINING:

The restaurant is Javier's; www.javiers.net is their website if you need directions or wish to preview the menu. I can especially recommend the shrimp Guaymas as an appetizer ... but everything's good.

Seatings will be between 8:15 and 8:45. We will be seated at tables in one area of the restaurant. Javier will be seating his early diners in this area to have it cleared by the time we arrive and settle in. Please be patient if it takes a little longer; we will not all be seated at once, but it will be close. Feel free to stay in the bar areas (the small front bar/waiting area or the cigar bar) until you're seated. I'll try to help the hosts in rounding y'all up. Timing will be staggered, with each complete table ordering and receiving food, etc. Please review the menu and order asap after your table is seated, so we don't hit the kitchen with 45 orders all at once.

There is no assigned seating at the tables. Just hook up with whomever you want, or simply take an empty seat...you know, just like any other banquet.

Please bring cash for your meal and drinks. There will not be separate checks per person, but I presume each table will have its own check. We'll just pass the ticket around; everybody chip in. I presume they'll add the gratuity to the check (look at the check to see), and I'm sure that we won't have any problems with this, right?

BEFORE/AFTER:

As we arrive at Javier's, introduce yourselves to each other and get acquainted. As mentioned, please wait at either the front bar/waiting area (pretty small) or come on back to the cigar bar. Take time to look at the several mounts that Javier has collected in Africa and North America. You can order drinks from either location, but only in the cigar bar can you smoke. NOTE: Dallas is a non-smoking city; it's unusual to have anywhere in a restaurant that we can light up. The cigar bar IS smoky, but they have pretty good air handling equipment.

After the dinner, several of us will retire to the cigar bar for an after-dinner drink and cigar or whatever. Please feel free to join us, or you may return to your hotel/home.

TRANSPORTATION:

For those staying at the Marriott Suites, transportation will be provided by the hotel shuttle. 30ott6 has talked to them and doesn't anticipate a problem. Since there are no reservations for the shuttle, I'd try to be in the lobby by 7:45 or so to catch one going to Javier's.

For the rest of us, we're pretty much on our own. If you're staying near the convention site, a taxi prob won't be much over $10 (if that) each way. If you're staying somewhere else and can't arrange transportation, please let me know asap and we'll try to help make arrangements for you.

NAME TAGS:

I'll have the name tags that Christer (CCHunter) has so graciously prepared for us. You may pick them up any time on Friday in the Silent Auction area of the convention. Just come by and ask for Dennis; if I'm not there simply ask for the AR name tags and someone will let you find yours. Any name tags not claimed at the show will be taken to Javier's. I'll also have a few blank ones for our late-confirming guests.

The name tags are really nice and I'm sure you'll be proud to identify yourself not only at our dinner but throughout the convention as well. This will be cool, and maybe even get us some more converts ! Also, the name tags will be used for:

DOOR PRIZES:

We'll have a couple of door prizes to give away to AR members. One is compliments of our host, Saeed and of Frank Martinez; another one or two will come from Christer (CCHunter). Don't expect anything extravagant, just a token or two. That is, unless 577NitroExpress really gets into the spirit of things and donates his new Searcy as an extra door prize Smiler .

At any time you have questions about the dinner or anything else about the covention, please feel free to contact me. Just come by the Silent Auction area (rear center of the main hall, under the overhang) and grab me or call my cell phone.

My cell phone is 214-213-3571 .

Please refer to the other DSC thread for activities planned for Saturday night.

If you have any other questions or concerns that I can try to fix, please call me. I will try to update this post if needed on Thursday night/Friday morning, but I won't have access to the net during the day on Friday.

But most of all,

WELCOME TO THE DALLAS SAFARI CLUB'S 'FRONTIERS' CONVENTION! HAVE A GREAT TIME ! clap

Dennis

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is, unless 577NitroExpress really gets into the spirit of things and donates his new Searcy as an extra door prize .

rotflmo rotflmo

Oh my god, I almost choked to death laughing so hard!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
577NE- Why would you laugh? Did you think Postdriver was kidding? Wink

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I'm bringing two guests can I sign them up on AR today so I can have 3 chances at the 577NE? animal