New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Safari destination
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reading most of the posts on this forum, it would appear that Zimbabwe is the favored destination for a safari. I am sure the cost of that destination and hunting is the most attractive for the variety of game etc. You hear a little about RSA, Namib, Moz, Zambia, and very little about Uganda, Botswana and Tanz as I suspect it is just to expensive for the common guy.
For such a wacked out government, the Safari trade appears to be blossoming in Zim.
What is your take?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Go babwe! The only industry which has not done a complete nosedive during the last decade in Zim is the hunting industry. Because of you guys and those like you.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Although this is an African Hunting forum it tends to revolve around dangerous game. Zimbabwe probably has some of the most prevant and least expensive dangerous game hunts. That said lots of people go on plains game hunts in RSA and Namibia.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Having hunted Zimbabwe for so many years, and having hunted Tanzania for so many years as well, I honestly prefer Zimbabwe.

In fact, the only reason I went to hunt in Tanzania is because my friends who I have always hunted with lost their concessions.

I am lucky enough to be able to hunt with them in Tanzania now.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68632 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zim has just about everything, damn i love the loveld

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim is probably the best bang for the buck re DG, when people talk about RSA the anti fenced property hounds come out. Namabia until a few years ago was one of the best kept secrets in African hunting. Zambia, Botswana, Moz, Tanz are in all truth expensive. Uganda, CAR CAmeron, Ghana etc are more for specialized and "advanced" hunting, i e limited game on license.

I am looking at Ghana next year for Royal Antelope, Maxwell Duiker and Harness Bushbuck. This is when you are getting serious about Pygmy & Spiraled Horned Antelope.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tie between tanzania, zimbabwe,zambia,botswana
after that cameroon, namibia, south africa i will leave the congo out as i don't think it is huntable anymore

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Having only been to RSA once, I still say your next safari destination is the best!

Do you guys think Moz will ever rise to Zim popularity (for American hunters) if USFWS allows ivory import?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Uganda will be building as a safari destination in the next few years

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EZ

Zim is so popular first because it is the least expensive off the Southern/East African countries offering viable DG hunting. It simply offers the best bang for the buck. Second the level of honestly and professionalism offered in Zim is outstanding. The camps may not always be the most luxurious or all the equipment new but the caliber of the safari expereince will be very high.

Now having said the above Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia (my favorite)and several others offer excellent safaris of the highest standard but at premium prices.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Now having said the above Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia (my favorite)and several others offer excellent safaris of the highest standard but at premium prices.
Mark

Zim is a wonderful place, and I really enjoy it. But Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia, just offer something a step above, JMO. But of course, the price is a step or TWO above as well. Likely why lots of guys are choosing Zim, and not a bad choice.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Mozambique (x2) and Zambia (x2) rank as the "best" at the moment, IMO. Having said that, I will return to Zim (x2) for the first time since 1998 to take another Ele next year.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Mark

Zim is a wonderful place, and I really enjoy it. But Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia, just offer something a step above, JMO. But of course, the price is a step or TWO above as well. Likely why lots of guys are choosing Zim, and not a bad choice.

Obviously I am biased, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you Aaron. I have visited all 3 of the countries you mentioned and each time I just couldn't wait to come home. These were not brief visits either - I was in Tanzania for almost two months. From a hunting point of view what can any of these countries offer that Zim can't? Sure, Botswana has big elephants and Tanzania/Zambia have big lions, but so does Zim. Check out trophy elephants taken by Charltom McCullum in the valley this year, check out Zambezi Hunters 2009 elephants. Look at the lions coming out of the Save Conservancy.....Leopards? I doubt anywhere comes close to the lowveld and Matabeleland. Trophy size aside (we are in it for the hunt after all!), Zim's lower Zambezi valley IS the ultimate hunting experience. If you argue with me, I will get Idaho to deal with you, ha ha. jokes aside, what could possibly compete with the valley? Yes, I have been to the Selous etc, and still I rate the valley tops. Wide open plains don't do it for me as much as dense jesse I'm afraid....Anyway, just my 2 cents, each to his own. No-one can accuse me of being unpatriotic now can they?

Lastly, and most importantly in my opinion, there are no people in Africa as decent as Zimbos. They are the easiest people to get on with - friendly, helpful, hard-working and humorous. In contrast, I have found the people in SA, Tanzania, Zambia and Botswana to be arrogant with big chips on their shoulders. The Mozambique chaps seemed pleasant enough but they are extraordinarily lazy.
I have just completed walking the Zim stretch of the Zambezi valley and have met hundreds of people along the way, belonging to several different tribes. Only once have I been hassled and it was political. We have truly fine people in this country. Tell me where else in Africa a white stranger could walk unarmed and unmolested indefinitely? Yes, I have a tracker but he is not needed on the public relations front - I have no doubt I'd be fine if I was alone. Everywhere I go I am treated graciously and am well looked after by all and sundry. SA - you'd be robbed and probably killed in no time and the same is true for many other African countries.
East, West, home is best - you guys can keep the rest of Africa and I'll stay right here thank you. Quite ironic really, considering all the political bulldust going on here, but I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else below Kenya - I have not ventured further North yet. If I ever leave this country, I will be leaving the continent.

Post me a picture of a big lion from wherever, and I will post you one that compares from Zim, the same can be said for any animal hunted here. For some strange reason Zim has a reputation for producing lighter ivory than other countries, but I cannot see how this came about. Every year a number of big tuskers are taken here. Maybe we do come second to say Botswana for elephants and Tanzania for lions, but generally speaking (all species) we rank numero uno, no doubt in my mind.

Hunting dagga boys in Chewore - the ultimate big game hunting experience. My opinion and as I have stated I am biased, but before you tear me to shreds, remember that my friend Idaho will be at the keyboard right now, scanning these posts with an eagle eye. Not having a go at you Idaho, just humor.

Cheers from the land of the not free but happy, David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

This is exactly what I had hoped for. Very insightful!
No "drama" either! yet? Wink

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
. . . most importantly in my opinion, there are no people in Africa as decent as Zimbos. They are the easiest people to get on with - friendly, helpful, hard-working and humorous.

We have truly fine people in this country.

+1 my friend.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Zimbabwe in 1998 on my first safari and had a great trip. My second trip was to Mozambique. My third, fourth and fifth (last) trips were to Tanzania, with number 3 and 4 to the Selous. In my opinion, there is no place like the Selous. It saddens me to think I will never return there. On my last trip to Tanzania we hunted outside the Selous. There is an appreciable difference in hunting zones, even in Tanzania.

On a side note, we buried my Dad today. He helped me learn my great appreciation for the outdoors and hunting. He never killed anything larger than a squirrel but instilled in me a yearning for hunting that will be with me for the rest of my lifetime.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bull1:

On a side note, we buried my Dad today. He helped me learn my great appreciation for the outdoors and hunting. He never killed anything larger than a squirrel but instilled in me a yearning for hunting that will be with me for the rest of my lifetime.

Bull1

I am sorry, may your dad rest in peace.

David

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
. . . most importantly in my opinion, there are no people in Africa as decent as Zimbos. They are the easiest people to get on with - friendly, helpful, hard-working and humorous.

We have truly fine people in this country.

+1 my friend.

I have to agree, all of the Zimbos I have met are great. A high school friend has lived in Zim since 1985. Even after losing her farm she still believes Zim is the greatest place on Earth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks David.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Not only are Zim folk friendly, helpful etc, they are also interesting. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread, just humor. I am tired and need to go to bed now. Goodnight gentlemen, David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mark

Obviously I am biased, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you Aaron. I have visited all 3 of the countries you mentioned and each time I just couldn't wait to come home. These were not brief visits either - I was in Tanzania for almost two months. From a hunting point of view what can any of these countries offer that Zim can't? Sure, Botswana has big elephants and Tanzania/Zambia have big lions, but so does Zim. Check out trophy elephants taken by Charltom McCullum in the valley this year, check out Zambezi Hunters 2009 elephants. Look at the lions coming out of the Save Conservancy.....Leopards? I doubt anywhere comes close to the lowveld and Matabeleland. Trophy size aside (we are in it for the hunt after all!), Zim's lower Zambezi valley IS the ultimate hunting experience. If you argue with me, I will get Idaho to deal with you, ha ha. jokes aside, what could possibly compete with the valley? Yes, I have been to the Selous etc, and still I rate the valley tops. Wide open plains don't do it for me as much as dense jesse I'm afraid....Anyway, just my 2 cents, each to his own. No-one can accuse me of being unpatriotic now can they?

Lastly, and most importantly in my opinion, there are no people in Africa as decent as Zimbos. They are the easiest people to get on with - friendly, helpful, hard-working and humorous. In contrast, I have found the people in SA, Tanzania, Zambia and Botswana to be arrogant with big chips on their shoulders. The Mozambique chaps seemed pleasant enough but they are extraordinarily lazy.
I have just completed walking the Zim stretch of the Zambezi valley and have met hundreds of people along the way, belonging to several different tribes. Only once have I been hassled and it was political. We have truly fine people in this country. Tell me where else in Africa a white stranger could walk unarmed and unmolested indefinitely? Yes, I have a tracker but he is not needed on the public relations front - I have no doubt I'd be fine if I was alone. Everywhere I go I am treated graciously and am well looked after by all and sundry. SA - you'd be robbed and probably killed in no time and the same is true for many other African countries.
East, West, home is best - you guys can keep the rest of Africa and I'll stay right here thank you. Quite ironic really, considering all the political bulldust going on here, but I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else below Kenya - I have not ventured further North yet. If I ever leave this country, I will be leaving the continent.

Post me a picture of a big lion from wherever, and I will post you one that compares from Zim, the same can be said for any animal hunted here. For some strange reason Zim has a reputation for producing lighter ivory than other countries, but I cannot see how this came about. Every year a number of big tuskers are taken here. Maybe we do come second to say Botswana for elephants and Tanzania for lions, but generally speaking (all species) we rank numero uno, no doubt in my mind.

Hunting dagga boys in Chewore - the ultimate big game hunting experience. My opinion and as I have stated I am biased, but before you tear me to shreds, remember that my friend Idaho will be at the keyboard right now, scanning these posts with an eagle eye. Not having a go at you Idaho, just humor.

David - Trust me, I too like Zim and can't wait to go back. In fact the best lion I have ever shot, came from Zim in 2002. And as you mention, many great trophies come from Zim, some I have taken myself, so perhaps I will clarify my opinion.

Ya, you can go to the Save Valley and shoot a big lion, you can go to the Lowveld and shoot a big leopard, you can take a big elephant from time to time in different places, and loads of buffalo exist in the valley, although not "generally" of exceptional size. A good sable can still be shot in Matetsi, etc.

But, in several very good places in Zambia/Tanzania, you can get ALL of that in ONE SAFARI. And the Selous, would certainly not be the place. But one could do a safari in Masailand, shoot 2-3 buffalo from 42" - 45", shot a fabulous Lion, some big leopards come from Masailand, and now that they hunt elephant there too, one can shoot a 50lb - 70lb tusker, ALL on the same 21-28 day hunt. Western Tanzania (Lukwati for example) can also produce 2-3 buffalo 40" - 45", BIG Maned LION, BIG Leopard, a chance at a good elephant, sable routinely 42" - 46", and again, all on ONE SAFARI. Western Zambia (Kafue) can produce a Monster maned lion, huge Leopard, decent/good buffalo, 42" - 46" sable, huge sitatunga, and again, all in one safari. You could shoot a decent elephant there too, if they would open it up for the rest of the country, not just the Valley, on the Zambia side. I have seen personally seen days in the Kafue that I easily saw over 500 big game animals in a single day.

Sure Zim produces good elephant, no question about it. To me though, there's a huge difference between that and a Botswana elephant hunt where one can see 500 - 800 elephants in 10-14 days, many 50lb plus bulls, and loads of big buffalo, all on one safari.

No question, the Valley in Zim is awesome! But again JMO, it consistently produces decent/nice trophies, but rarely anything exceptional. I would NEVER book a Lion hunter in the valley, especially if he was insistent on having a good chance at a big maned lion. Never have booked one there as a matter of fact. Same for leopard, not that these things can't happen, but they are not as likely. If a guy says I want a BIG BUFFALO, I'm not sending him to the valley, nor would I send him there if he insists on a big elephant opportunity (60lb plus). So yes, it is a great place, but to alot of guys trophy quality is a concern, not just the experience. Personally I've done 20 plus DG safaris, I've had the experience already, so now I want to hunt places that have what I want to shoot, especially when I paying big bucks for it! Maybe I won't get it, but I at least want to be fishing where the biggest fish are. Besides, when prices are comparable. Like a lion hunt in the Save for example, versus one on the valley, why would someone ever book the lion hunt in the valley????

As for the people, the only place I have personally experienced the attitudes you mention, is in Botswana. Ya, the locals can be arrogant there! The PH's are wonderful, but some of the locals can be difficult to deal with. Everywhere else, they have been wonderful.

Lastly, my experience is that the "EXPERIENCE" in some places of Zambia/Tanzania, is the closest one can come to a truly wild safari, outside of central Africa. I have been in some very remote places in these countries that we went 1 - 3 weeks without ever seeing a single other person, outside of our party, period! I have never had that same experience in Zim. Take the Save for example, yes the hunting is great, but what's not so great is all the darn people in there. Some days it feels remote, and some days its definitely NOT!

Again, JMO. Zim is great, but its definitely different than other places.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David
Why didn't you post a picture of 24 ??
He sure caught our eye a couple of years ago as we were cleaning Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Anywhere in Africa where game can be hunted.

Anything more specific is just being picky.

And far be it from me to be that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mark

David - Trust me, I too like Zim and can't wait to go back. In fact the best lion I have ever shot, came from Zim in 2002. And as you mention, many great trophies come from Zim, some I have taken myself, so perhaps I will clarify my opinion.

Ya, you can go to the Save Valley and shoot a big lion, you can go to the Lowveld and shoot a big leopard, you can take a big elephant from time to time in different places, and loads of buffalo exist in the valley, although not "generally" of exceptional size. A good sable can still be shot in Matetsi, etc.

But, in several very good places in Zambia/Tanzania, you can get ALL of that in ONE SAFARI. And the Selous, would certainly not be the place. But one could do a safari in Masailand, shoot 2-3 buffalo from 42" - 45", shot a fabulous Lion, some big leopards come from Masailand, and now that they hunt elephant there too, one can shoot a 50lb - 70lb tusker, ALL on the same 21-28 day hunt. Western Tanzania (Lukwati for example) can also produce 2-3 buffalo 40" - 45", BIG Maned LION, BIG Leopard, a chance at a good elephant, sable routinely 42" - 46", and again, all on ONE SAFARI. Western Zambia (Kafue) can produce a Monster maned lion, huge Leopard, decent/good buffalo, 42" - 46" sable, huge sitatunga, and again, all in one safari. You could shoot a decent elephant there too, if they would open it up for the rest of the country, not just the Valley, on the Zambia side. I have seen personally seen days in the Kafue that I easily saw over 500 big game animals in a single day.

Sure Zim produces good elephant, no question about it. To me though, there's a huge difference between that and a Botswana elephant hunt where one can see 500 - 800 elephants in 10-14 days, many 50lb plus bulls, and loads of big buffalo, all on one safari.

No question, the Valley in Zim is awesome! But again JMO, it consistently produces decent/nice trophies, but rarely anything exceptional. I would NEVER book a Lion hunter in the valley, especially if he was insistent on having a good chance at a big maned lion. Never have booked one there as a matter of fact. Same for leopard, not that these things can't happen, but they are not as likely. If a guy says I want a BIG BUFFALO, I'm not sending him to the valley, nor would I send him there if he insists on a big elephant opportunity (60lb plus). So yes, it is a great place, but to alot of guys trophy quality is a concern, not just the experience. Personally I've done 20 plus DG safaris, I've had the experience already, so now I want to hunt places that have what I want to shoot, especially when I paying big bucks for it! Maybe I won't get it, but I at least want to be fishing where the biggest fish are. Besides, when prices are comparable. Like a lion hunt in the Save for example, versus one on the valley, why would someone ever book the lion hunt in the valley????

As for the people, the only place I have personally experienced the attitudes you mention, is in Botswana. Ya, the locals can be arrogant there! The PH's are wonderful, but some of the locals can be difficult to deal with. Everywhere else, they have been wonderful.

Lastly, my experience is that the "EXPERIENCE" in some places of Zambia/Tanzania, is the closest one can come to a truly wild safari, outside of central Africa. I have been in some very remote places in these countries that we went 1 - 3 weeks without ever seeing a single other person, outside of our party, period! I have never had that same experience in Zim. Take the Save for example, yes the hunting is great, but what's not so great is all the darn people in there. Some days it feels remote, and some days its definitely NOT!

for the $125 to $150k that 21 to 28 days in Tz to shoot the big 4 you mentioned above would cost, I would much prefer 8 weeks in Zim in several different areas. i have hunted the Selous and thoroughly enjoyed it but Tz. hunting is WAY over priced. I don't have an unlimited budget and I am not looking for top of the book trophies- just a good fair chase hunt with nice people. Zim offers that in spades. having said that my last 2 hunts in Moz. were right up at the top.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13391 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
1)TZ 2)Bots 3)Namibia 4) Zim

I'm going to have to say Tz is #1 for me, not only for the DG but for the variety of plains game, especially up north.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While there are some (some on the site even) whom money is not object and can go anywhere they please, anytime they please..

For 95% of hunters (and damn near any and every person I know and have ever met) money is one of the BIGGEST determining factors!

Zim has the best bang for your buck, hands down.

If I could afford it, I'd be on safari in Masailand each and every year.. But reality dictates that I can go to Zim or RSA once or twice a year and still have a great time and hunt. I can live with that.

Zimbabwe for me at the time being, with Moz, Zambia and TZ on the horizon.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mike H.:
David
Why didn't you post a picture of 24 ??
He sure caught our eye a couple of years ago as we were cleaning Buffalo.

I do have a picture of him somewhere..... Smiler

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Aaron, thanks for the response and I hear you. I would be extremely close-minded not to, with your African hunting experience. And there it is - I have never really hunted in any of the countries you mentioned, just been there and looked around. I guess the bottom line with this thread can only be 'different strokes for different blokes.' Each country will have its ups and downs and each guy just has to make up his own mind....

Cheers and happy hunting to you all! No matter where you decide to do it.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great post Aaron!!! tu2

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
It is really great to see Zim getting the thumbs up from so many hunters on AR. It is also great to see that there are other destinations that some hunters prefer. I think the crux of the matter is, as David put it, different strokes for different folks.

I am glad to see however that one thing about Zimbabwe has come through strong and clear. Zimbabwe is about her people. Zimbos have been through hell and back over the last few years and yet everywhere you will still see smiling faces and hard working people.

I can and will always say that I am happy and proud to be a Zimbo and its really great to see so many AR guys giving Zim the thumbs up.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimFrosty:
It is really great to see Zim getting the thumbs up from so many hunters on AR. It is also great to see that there are other destinations that some hunters prefer. I think the crux of the matter is, as David put it, different strokes for different folks.

I am glad to see however that one thing about Zimbabwe has come through strong and clear. Zimbabwe is about her people. Zimbos have been through hell and back over the last few years and yet everywhere you will still see smiling faces and hard working people.

I can and will always say that I am happy and proud to be a Zimbo and its really great to see so many AR guys giving Zim the thumbs up.

Frosty - You're right, its great to see all of the support for Zim.

And as Jdollar said above, some of the other countries mentioned are pretty costly. But on the flip side of Jdollar's comment, often times guys who could afford the 21 - day safari in Tanzania/Zambia, simply cannot be gone for 8 weeks hunting throughout Zim. So like David mentioned, Different Strokes.

Either way, Zim is and always will be a great safari destination.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still say your next safari destination is the best!

Yes in deed !!!!
Anywhere in Africa

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ethiopia has been my favorite place. It was the best of both worlds as far as what Africa has to offer. I hunted in the Omo Valley which looks like a place right out of what you'd see in Kenya...and then I hunted in the mountains.

Traditionally most safari-goers wouldn't think of lush green steep mountains, cliffs and valleys as the normal depiction of Africa. (That is, unless you're a big fan of Gorillas in the Mist or have haunted the likes of Cameroon.) There were Menelik's bushbuck in barley fields, spectacular colored, muscled, heavy leopards in the forest, the biggest shaggy hyenas known to man and something exclusive to the country called the Mt. Nyala. Every kill shot was a real hunt.

Not to disparage any other safari place in Africa, but Ethiopia to me, is thee best. The diversity of game there is unlike any other safari destination. Abyssinian Greater Kudu, Tiang and many exotic monkeys. It's less expensive than a lot of other countries too, because there are no trophy fees.

I speak from this perspective, despite not seeing a lesser kudu big enough to take a shot at, and the Ethiopia government banned crocodile hunting months before I got there.

Can you imagine how geeked up I'd be about Ethiopia if I would have shot a 35" lesser kudu and an 18-foot croc, along with the other goodies I brought home? Whoa boy------I'm startin' to get the shakes now at the keyboard just pondering that!

Back in the day there was lion hunting there. At the zoo in Addis Ababa there were some Ethiopian wild lions in captivity that would put any heavy maned South Africa canned lion to shame. Whenever this notion of favorite safari destination comes up, I consider what it is today, compared to what it must have been like years ago. Oh yeah did I mention the 100-pound elephants there back in the day?

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe is a great safari destination but I do think the rest of Afica provides a great deal that Zim does not. As great as Zim is for hunting it offers nothing unique as far as species go. Everything that can be hunted in Zim can be found somewhere else and often the trophy quality can be better. In addition to the actual hunting other countries such as Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Botswana, Cameroon, RSA and Namibia all of which I've hunted give the tourist hunter unique and varied expereinces that can be quite different than what is available in Zim.

Personally I think Africa is such a deverse place that it would be a shame to not see more than just Zimbabwe.

Now for the diclaimer. I probably book more folks into Zim than all the other countries we book for rolled together. Zim is more than just inexpensive it is an excellent safari destination and one I always recommend particularly for the first time DG hunter.

I do think those new to safari and watching AR would believe that there really is not much safari hunting going on in other African countries and they don't really offer much of any interest. That is far from the truth. The rest of Africa offers many exotic experiences and if you can afford the increase in price they are well worth looking into when booking a safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Y.: I would tend to agree with you and I really like the way you stated that. I never looked at it like that, but it is true. There's nothing exclusive about Zimbabwe, but personally it offered me some of the best of what there is to be offered in Africa.

Of two dozen buffalo I've taken, my best one came from Chifuti Safaris with Andrew Dawson. Of three crocs I've taken, once again my best one came from Chifuti Safaris with Andrew Dawson. Waterbuck? Again, best one came from Zim with AD.

My leopard was only average size, but it's the best leopard "hunt" I had. Thee most shakes I've ever got, of all four leopard hunts, when that Zim cat climbed into the tree. I was stunned he showed up. The other three, I kinda knew they'd eventually show up.

I tend to classify safari destinations like hurricanes. There are five categories. Here are my personal rankings from my own experiences.

Category One: South Africa (4)
Category Two: Namibia (2), Mozambique
Category Three: Zambia (2), Zimbabwe
Category Four: Tanzania (5), Botswana
Category Five: C.A.R., Ethiopia
WISHLIST: Angola, Kenya, Congo, Sudan, Cameroon
Remaining spiral horned: Sitatunga, Bongo, and Lesser Kudu

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you can afford the increase in price they are well worth looking into when booking a safari.

bottom line!!

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, what makes one country more expensive than another? Is it the government fees and licenses, or is it a premium cost charged by outfitters because they know it's a better destination?

If somebody wanted to hunt buffalo, and say Leopard, which country is good while being reasonable $$ wise. (reasonable I guess is relative to everybody, let's say reasonable to a regular working class guy, the kind that hunts with the off the shelf win70).

It's a lot of countries to keep up with. It seems to me a person is best off getting their money together, deciding which country and what animal they want and then just waiting for a discounted hunt to be posted, or does that always put you in the worst time slot?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Dago,

If price was the deciding factor I'd think about Zim or Moz for buffalo. Zim for baited leopard.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
My very first safari was in Zim and I treasure the memories. Since then I have hunted RSA twice and Mozambique twice. Given the choice, I would (and hope to) return to Mozambique. The Zambezi Delta looks like old Africa. As you are driving across the savannah, you expect to see a couple of white guys carrying double rifles followed by a line of porters with boxes on their heads. It's wonderful. More expensive? Yeah, but I figure in many ways you get what you pay for.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the posts that say why stick to one spot.

I am far from being a rich man, but by prioritizing I have been able to see a few different countries, and hope to see a number more.

South Africa and Namibia have great reputations as being a location for a Plains Game hunt, or some of the more specialized game (Rhino, and the cape species) although you need to be aware that there are some less scrupulous outfitters there.

Zimbabwe is a favorite of mine, probably because that was my first African adventure. Its got some of the least expensive DG hunting you can find, and the people are super friendly (well, except for the chinese tourists in Harare...)

Zambia is a great destination with lots of unique species, but it certainly is more expensive.

I decided to try Tanzania next year, and while its a bunch of money, I have every hope it will be another unforgettable experience. It has been said that the masailand is about as close to Kenya as you will get hunting nowdays, so I made a plan as they say.

Try something different, you may like it!

Posts: 10971 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote