THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Direct flight from Atlanta to Nairobi--the new route to Tanzania?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Direct flight from Atlanta to Nairobi--the new route to Tanzania?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
Last week Delta announced a new route that would take passengers directly from Atlanta to Nairobi. They said, "For customers, more nonstop service to Africa from the United States eliminates lengthy connections through Europe, trimming several hours off average travel times."
Nairobi to Arusha or Dar (1 hour, 15 min flight) shouldn't be a difficult addition to add on.
I've always thought the route through Amsterdam seemed a bit out of the way and wished for a direct flight to East Africa. The ATL-NBO flight will begin on June 2, 2009 and there will be 4 flights each week.
Do any of you know how much time this might eliminate from the trip compared to the European layover we have to do now?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firearm transiting through Nbo can be quite tricky so better check on that beforehand.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year delta cancelled the Nairobi route and sent me scrambling. Took Emirates and would take them again.

Another poster on this forum went on family vacation to Kenya before Tanz and had no problems. Cost him around $300-400 extra.

Bwanamich's advice on Tanz served me well.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
That should really simplify the lost luggage and the traveling with firearms issues. Firearms through the Netherlands can be a problem and likewise through London. I've done both over the years and now avoid them if at all possible, but for East Africa travel through JNB is really out of the way.

Kenya doesn't allow hunting so I'm not up on their gun transit laws.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last month I round tripped Tanzania on KLM. No problems. Fare was $2600.

Going: DFW - AMS - JRO.
Return: JRO - AMS - DTW - DFW.

Bags & guns were checked at flight origination all the way through to destination. Glad I didn't have to re-check guns anywhere on the route. My paperwork for the Dutch customs and KLM was in order, and my ammo was within limits.

Worked well for me, at least on this trip.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote