New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to cut the cost of a safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when you are taking to the outfitter explain to him that you will be using a blaser and he'll probably feel sorry for you that you can't afford a decent rifle and cut the price

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried that last year and the outfitter quit answering my calls and e-mails....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or leave the wife at home...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Infidels!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two big ways to cut the cost of a Safari. Get selective on what you shoot. That get's easier after you have a lot. (I'm still going to shoot at least 2 mature buffalo on every trip). Then cut back on taxidermy. European mounts in the old German hunting cottages in East Africa are really nice.

Don't think pleading poverty because you can only afford a Blaser is going to garner any sympathy. You can come up with an equally functional rifle at a much smaller price. (I'd actually like to try a Blaser bolt action). Except I'd probably get myself killed trying to raise the bolt.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxidermy...it was the first thing I cut when I realized I needed to go back and go back a lot. My first taxidermy bill was around 6k my second was around 20k. No more

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking a Blaser on Safari equals good discount by PH. Worked for me to the tune of a little over $2,000. My PH was so excited to see one in action and have the chance to shoot one, cut me a heck of a deal.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
If you really want to cut cost search out one of the outfits that caters to Europeans in Namibia.

In 2000 I hunted Namibia and my total bill was about 6k including airfare(yes, unbelievable). I took Kudu, zebra, gemsbok, springbok, hartebeest, warthog, baboon and a bunch of jackal. I brought the euro mounts home in my checked baggage. I spent over 2 weeks hunting.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Taking a Blaser on Safari equals good discount by PH. Worked for me to the tune of a little over $2,000. My PH was so excited to see one in action and have the chance to shoot one, cut me a heck of a deal.

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
Still not worth it!! Big Grin

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt - you are just worried I'll try that same trick on you. Eeker

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
R8 Blaser
Still not worth it!! Big Grin

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll only give you 20% off if you don't bring the Blaser Larry!! Nearly got killed by one malfunctioning bloody Blaser already. Luckily it was only pointed near my feet.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Take a double with open sights. Work harder, get closer, shoot less, have a better safari.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote