New
Find
Notify
Tools

?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Reading Kathi's post on baboon eating got me wondering, and I may be incredibly dense, but we always hear about hunger and starvation among the native people of Africa. With the abundance of game available, why? Just curious.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In most unprotected areas of Africa (ie outside of hunting concessions, reserves/private land and parks) there is very little game. Was/is killed at an unsustainable rate and grazed into desert.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Usually because they've killed and eaten everything that walks, crawls or flies in the area without a thought to game management or for that matter, family planning and/or because despite sometimes living in the most fertile areas in the world such as Uganda, the do gooding tossers in the NGOs and UN etc give them free food etc which makes them too bloody lazy to get off their arses and plant something.

Of course, there's always the occasional drought that can also sometimes make things difficult! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind of wondered if that didn't have something to do with it. Kind of like the crack mommies/welfare suckers here.
I live in a fairly rural area, and I know if the infrastructre collapsed here, I wouldn't go hungry, but that has more to do with the raisin' than anything else.

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Usually because they've killed and eaten everything that walks, crawls or flies in the area without a thought to game management or for that matter, family planning and/or because despite sometimes living in the most fertile areas in the world such as Uganda, the do gooding tossers in the NGOs and UN etc give them free food etc which makes them too bloody lazy to get off their arses and plant something.

Of course, there's always the occasional drought that can also sometimes make things difficult! Wink

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

animal animal
Steve's Calendar reads: "Be kind to the UN and NGO week"

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A good example of their stupidity can be found in Mto Wa Mbu in Masailand.

When I first went there, it was a paradise. Full of game, a small town and a few Masai wandering about.

Now it's a big town, lots of people, something like 80% of the game has gone, the Masai herds have grown enormously and the Masai have taken to allowing no end of (illegal)charcoal burning that is creating massive areas of desert where not even a blade of grass will ever grow because the rain has washed the soil away.

Not to worry though as the NGOs and other arseholes will get out rattling tins in your face whilst their brothers in arms will be out there helping the poor natives and no doubt spreading the good word to those that will smile and nod just as long as the idiot mzungu keeps giving him food etc. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

Steve's Calendar reads: "Be kind to the UN and NGO week"

Can you tell the useless bunch of idiots have always been amongst my very least favourite people?

jumping jumping jumping

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Usually because they've killed and eaten everything that walks, crawls or flies

That pretty much sums it up.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Easy up there fellahs, you could all end up irritating that chap from... stir flame Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
Easy up there fellahs, you could all end up irritating that chap from... stir flame Cool

Our government, unable to rise to mediocrity!! Our President has TWENTY kids !! How is yours doing?
LIBERAL: one who is so open minded that all his brains, logic and common sense have blown away in the wind.

What must I say now? I thought you had a brilliant signature line. With the recent addition ....? WOW! Wink

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Thank-you Mr McLaren, most kind of you.

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets not forget that they soon won't even be able to poach on the Parks because there will be no wildlife there either----Ele lovers have allowed Eles to grow to unsustainable numbers and they destroy the habitat worse than drought!! Nature can recover from drought but not mass destruction brought on by Eles....or Masai cattle, camels and goats....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote