New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tonight's episode of Dangerous Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This was the episode with a client hunter named (Neal?) Wolf who was gored on his previous hunt. His description of events was most notable for the PH's conspicuous absence. Does anyone familiar with these events know who the PH was on the hunt on which this goring took place?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Neal's return hunt was definitly with a different PH Eeker His statements about a PH "covering your butt" told a big story.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I noticed the same thing, there was absolutely no mention of the PH in the sequence of events after the situation went South. He did not even refer to the PH in talking about the Land Cruiser ride to camp. Implication is that the PH buggered off when the buff charged.

Mike

Posts: 21321 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope he is no longer a PH...anywhere! I saw the show and was wondering the same thing...where was the PH? If it was not for the tracker, he surely would have been killed. That tracker had a huge set...for sure. I think after that episode I would have made sure that tracker and his family were taken care of for a long time! BIG tip.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chalk up another one in the "For" column in the ongoing debate, Is the Double Rifle a must or Bolt Action? Even with a PH!!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was the tracker who shot the buff off of him,and his third round in the magazine. The buff hit him after he opened his bolt for a third shot,He got tossed with a open bolt (must have been a CRF} he found him self next to his rifle, then he ramed the round in and handed it to the tracker who shot the buff point blank. I don't know if a double would have helped or hurt. I wonder what round was he shooting?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sadly the tracker later died of aids. It sure would be helpful to know who the PH was, although the first incident happened 7 years ago. Does someone out there know or can find out for us? Wolfe is the VP of some business, (listed on the screen last night) so someone should know him or someone close to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
It was the tracker who shot the buff off of him,and his third round in the magazine. The buff hit him after he opened his bolt for a third shot,He got tossed with a open bolt (must have been a CRF} he found him self next to his rifle, then he ramed the round in and handed it to the tracker who shot the buff point blank. I don't know if a double would have helped or hurt. I wonder what round was he shooting?

JD

The open bolt he was left with was the result of him trying to chamber the second shot. I'm no expert, and in spite of what Richard Harland professes, I'll hunt DG with a double. But it cuts both ways.

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Was this 'Noel' Wolfe? It sounds like him. He's a member of my local SCI chapter. His story is harrowing. He's got a scar runnning from his ancle to his groin.

Spent something like 6 (or 12?) weeks in the hospital (JNB and Portland). When in the local clinic, prior to getting to JB, the were going to give him a bunch of plasma but luckily his hunting buddy was a doctor and prevented it. Pumped him full of all the saline/glucose the could get and drove him to the airstrip. That also saved his life.

He told me that the tracker was pulling him out from under the buff, after being tossed about three times. As the he was being pulled, he felt the rifle underneath him. He tried to lift the rifle up, but couldn't as his clavicle was broken (still is not connected. Says that it removed a few strokes from his handicap Smiler )

He handed the rifle to the tracker, who shot the buff. All this with the buff trying to gore him.

It's an amazing story.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's him. Who was the PH? Or more pointedly, what role did he play in all this? There may be a reason for his not being mentioned that is not negative but maybe didn't make for a good story for a 30 min TV show. I'll back up from any rush to judge.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
What show is this and what channel might I find it on?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
Yes, that's him. Who was the PH? Or more pointedly, what role did he play in all this? There may be a reason for his not being mentioned that is not negative but maybe didn't make for a good story for a 30 min TV show. I'll back up from any rush to jugde.

I don't recall the PH. If I get a chance to talk to him, I'll try to remember to ask him. I do recall Noel saying that the guy was out of shape and RAN AWAY during the incident.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's called "Dangerous Game" and it's on Versus. There have been some good episodes and some crap ones. Go to Versus website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now we can judge him!

posted Hide Post
Not mentioned was the location of the goring. I recognize, however, the firepit and the chairs as being at Chewore North. He did say that the filmed hunt occured within a few K's of the original mauling.
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Showbart we are both wrong! I just replayed
it. He fired 3 times and had opened the bolt to chamber a 4th round. His belt looked to hold 375 H&H shells. The tracker's name was Maxamillon.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Yes it was filmed at Mwanja camp at Chewore North and the buff looked like he was shot in the Chewore River bed.... Interesting story and that PH should have been drummed out of the corp for leaving his client and tracker in a mess like that. Damn brave tracker though. Trackers get a lot of grief for running when things get tough but most of those guys are very reliable! Boddington wrote a good article on tracker bravery a month or so ago.

Also a great piece of film with Ivan Carter and his client shooting the charging cow buff! I thought the whole episode was excellent and well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Showbart we are both wrong! I just replayed
it. He fired 3 times and had opened the bolt to chamber a 4th round. His belt looked to hold 375 H&H shells. The tracker's name was Maxamillon.

JD

Yeah, but I think he only got one off once the buff charged. Total shots fired, you are correct. He closed in and fired once, buff ran he fired again, upon follow up he fired a third time when it charged and was in the process of cycling the bolt for the fourth shot, which was the second of the charge, when he got tossed. Is my memory correct?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats how it went down. If he had time for a reload a double would have been a advanatge.
If not it would have been a problem.Even with a bolt gun I would have topped off after the second shot given the chance. He can work a bolt real well,if the film had not been edited.
I was supprised to see how fast the buff was comeing off that ledge,as fast a whitetail.
On the cow charge it was clear how much that head moved up and down and side to side.
Watching this makes me want to hunt so bad,but question just how crazy I am.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That show "Cape Fear" is coming on again on Nov 20 at 2 PM. I set DVR to record each show.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I saw it too. The hunter condemned his PH with silence. Seems as though it was well deserved.

His rifle in the featured hunt was a Sako in .375.

Damned shame about the tracker dying of AIDS. He was clearly a brave and loyal man.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13440 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think that we would all still like to know the name of the PH who apparently desserted him and who was left unnamed. It is good insurance against picking him as a PH in any future hunts, if he is still working.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bet that the PH in question packed it in before any charges could be brought against him or before the PH Association threw him out on his head. What a piece of crap. Yes, a real shame for the tracker. Whatever family he left behind are sure to be proud of him though. It will certainly give every hunter that goes into the african bush something to think about as he walks behind one of those guys.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I noticed the lack of mention of the PH. IIRC, this happened with one other episode this season. I believe they were hunting with Zayne, and the hunter talked about his previous PH running off; that's why he hunts with Zayne now! At least the tracker was able to kill the buff and basically save the hunter's life. Were that me, I'd be forever indebted to the tracker for saving my skin! OTOH, when I recovered from my injuries, I'd use my newly-healed legs to kick that PH's ass!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double rifle, bolt rifle, baseball bat, s--t happens and it can happen with anything you have in your hand and it can go either way!

If he got off 3 shots then they were not in the right spot. A charging buff is not an easy target btw, and this is when off hand shooting practice is important, not to say it would have changed anything, and only a spine of brain shot can be depended on IMO, like I said s--t happens. We can analize the hell out of any situation, but it changes naught.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
If you guys look at where he (mis)placed the first shot, you'll wonder where he hit the buff that almost got him killed. Couldn't tell where the second shot went, but the firs shot was high and spined him. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote