THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Which near OR Tambo overnight guest house?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which near OR Tambo overnight guest house?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Please give input and suggestions to request for advice posted here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...921011471#9921011471

Thanks for any advice and motivation.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afton House, because it is all about ambiance...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many people like Afton.
I have stayed there once but will not do so again.
There is nothing special about the place at all.
My overall impression of the people that met me was that they were a bot scaly and simply looking for tips. The steak dinner was sold to us like it was some underhanded deal with the guy wanting money in his hand before he cooked the meal.

I come from a luxury service background and this was simply appalling to me.
Our room backed onto a maids quarters and the washing machine was being used.
The staff chit chatted outside my room.
When I wanted to check out the next morning I had to wait 2 hours for the "money handler" to arrive, despite the fact that I had specially requested that I be allowed to pay my bill the night before and get out early as I had a long trip ahead.

The next place I stayed was Ndlovu Lodge.
What a place. Less money and top class service.
Rich, if you think Afton has ambience then wait for ndlovu.
It looks like it belongs on the lost city.
http://www.tallgrasssafaris.com/?page_id=400

Its at the top of the page.
Tom who owns Tall Grass Safaris also owns Ndlovu so contact him directly.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton a number of times and African Sky Guesthouse twice... I would choose African Sky hands down. Cleaner, better food and oddly, I had the same impression as African Quest above. It seemed no one really cared if I was there or not as long as I paid... and $20 for the steak dinner was a bit of a rip. But many here swear by Afton. That is what makes the world go round...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My one and only experience was at Africa Sky. Very pleased and hope to use again

Posts: 26 | Location: Glenrock, WY | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at Afton several times and must say the one thing going for it is the short drive to the air port.
It took my first visit to wise up to the ambushing techniques employed.
First there was the very friendly little guy who struck up conversation with me at the fire and then invited me to see his jewelry display near the bar. I made the mistake of having a look and the pressure was intense to make a very over priced purchase. He did not get a cent! Then there was the BBQ which I was invited to partake, my impression was this was part of the accom / package, wrong... just after the meal out came the hand and we had to fork out the $$. We live and learn.
I used Afton's fire arm permit service on two occasions, coughed up the bucks along with the papers which I sent several weeks prior in an air satchel, which also costs...
On both occasions my advocate was late and as I always carry copies, I had cleared my rifle and was waiting with a coffee in hand before they arrived!
I must say I have not tried any of the other guest houses as I make sure I head out for dinner at the local steak house or on the way out (after too much red meat) a fillet of fish at Maccas.
On a plus, I have always found the rooms clean and neat, and like I say they are close to the AP.
Next time through I might do the B&B in Harare!
Cheers

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
As this appears to be a duplicate of the post on African Travel, I will say again that I have stayed at Afton House over the years and I have never had a problem. I was there in June of last year (2011)again, and Annelise was running a top flight operation. I have also stayed there over the years when Louie was alive, and during his lingering illness, and never had an issue. I understand that the steak dinner was something that they tried some years ago, but I don't believe that that is a part of their operation now. In all fairness to Annelise, for a number of years, she was running the business 24/7, and dealing with her husband's slow and painful death and that would take a toll on any of us. I am also unaware of the jeweler hawker, but I don't believe that is going on today with the business. Last June, Bwanna and I were on our way to the Zambezi Valley to hunt with HHK Safaris, and the folks at Afton House took very good care of us, from pick up to our next day's drop off at the airport by Jock, making sure that we were on time for the connecting flight and ensuring that our guns and luggage were also flying with us. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
Many people like Afton.
I have stayed there once but will not do so again.
There is nothing special about the place at all.
My overall impression of the people that met me was that they were a bot scaly and simply looking for tips. The steak dinner was sold to us like it was some underhanded deal with the guy wanting money in his hand before he cooked the meal.

Could not agree more. The service level falls short on so many levels.

Like waiting in the parking lot for almost an hour while the next group of hunters clear customs. Charging $25.00 for a tough steak and $30 bucks for a cheap bottle of wine.

I believe they used to care about their clients, but the last time we felt just part of the machine.

Time to broaden the horizon, try something else.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have had some bad experiences while staying in JNB awaiting a flight home or elsewhere in Africa. That said, I will be staying at the Afton Guest House on June 1st for my 20th or so time. I've never had a single problem as complained about above (nor have my children) and I gladly join in the below comments by Use Enough Gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
As this appears to be a duplicate of the post on African Travel, I will say again that I have stayed at Afton House over the years and I have never had a problem. I was there in June of last year (2011)again, and Annelise was running a top flight operation. I have also stayed there over the years when Louie was alive, and during his lingering illness, and never had an issue. I understand that the steak dinner was something that they tried some years ago, but I don't believe that that is a part of their operation now. In all fairness to Annelise, for a number of years, she was running the business 24/7, and dealing with her husband's slow and painful death and that would take a toll on any of us. I am also unaware of the jeweler hawker, but I don't believe that is going on today with the business. Last June, Bwanna and I were on our way to the Zambezi Valley to hunt with HHK Safaris, and the folks at Afton House took very good care of us, from pick up to our next day's drop off at the airport by Jock, making sure that we were on time for the connecting flight and ensuring that our guns and luggage were also flying with us. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at both. African Sky wins hands down.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
last stay at Afton 1 1/2 years ago was very disappointing( overall service had been going down over the previous 4 stays). the $25 tough steak closed the deal( i remember the good old days when they took you to a local seafood resturant for dinner). even though they claim in suite bathrooms- last time it was across the hall and shared., will try African Sky in Oct and see how it goes. it's a real shame though as i remember the good ole days from 10-12 yeats ago.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shocker 30 buck!!! did they give you vasaline with that screwing so it did not hurt as much??I payed 8 buck for a great steak dinner at Spur the steak was cook perfect the flavor was great and the service was great to the waiter was there anytime my glass was low offering a refill.
I payed slightly more 12 bucks for a T-bone at the birchwood for aged meat that was a full inch thick grill perfect with wonderful seasonings and 5 star service. payed 100 a night for my room which had it's own safe and steel grated door on storage closet for rifles. security is good to

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very nice guest house is 'A ROOM WITH A VIEW' http://www.aroomwithaview.co.za/. Our clients like it a lot, you can make the reservation through us:

http://www.kapstadt.de/schindlers-africa

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
African Sky is very nice.

I have also stayed at DuDu lodge when traveling north. Super folks and nice room for a very reasonable price. DuDu has a super breakfast to send you on the trail.
http://www.du-du-lodge.com/about.html

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
jdollar: Jimmy's giant prawns is now closed down. My wife and I were dropped off by Annelise and had dinner there in 2010 while we enjoyed our stay at Afton House. Last June Bwanna and I ate at Spurs and had a wonderful meal, all while staying with Annelise at Afton House. We would have liked to have eaten at Jimmy's, but it had gone out of business. Big Grin