THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ZIM-Hippo tramples, bites man to death

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZIM-Hippo tramples, bites man to death
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hippo tramples, bites man to death

Sunday News Reporter

A 48-year-old Chiredzi man was attacked and killed by a hippopotamus he thought to be dead while it was sleeping and wanted to skin it for meat early last week, police in Masvingo confirmed on Thursday.

Mujomba Muvengi of Village Sese, Chief Maregere in Chiredzi, was bitten and trampled to death by the hippopotamus after he was informed that it was dead when in fact it was alive.
Police spokesman for Masvingo Province, Inspector Tinaye Matake, told Sunday News that Muvengi was having a beer drink at Philimon Zvidzai’s homestead with Simon Zvidzai when two small boys came running to the homestead.
They informed the trio that they had seen a dead hippopotamus at the grazing area when they were herding cattle.
The trio was led to the grazing area where the hippopotamus was and upon arrival they started throwing stones at the animal and it remained sleeping giving them confidence that it was dead.
They all went close and threw another stone at the sleeping hippopotamus and it woke up and attacked the trio.
Philimon and Simon Zvidzai and the two boys who were herding cattle managed to run away leaving Muvengi at the mercy of the angry animal that bit him and stamped on him leaving him for dead before going away.
He died on the spot. After some time Philimon and Simon returned to check what had happened to Muvengi and found his body sprawled in a pool of blood.
They reported the incident to other villagers who in turn informed the police in Chiredzi.
Muvengi’s body was taken to Triangle Hospital mortuary where a postmortem was to be conducted before burial.
“It is true, we received a report of that nature where a Chiredzi man was fatally attacked by a hippopotamus that he and the other two villagers wanted to skin. They mistakenly thought it was dead when in fact it was alive sleeping at the grazing area where young boys were herding cattle.
“The deceased’s body was taken to Triangle Hospital mortuary for an autopsy while police are investigating the case,” said Inspector Matake.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As they say, "Its the dead ones that get you!"

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You beat me to it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the next nominee for this years Darwin award is...

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This running away puzzles me. It seems to be a common behavior. For example, a long-time friend and PH told me of doing bird control shooting in Limpopo years ago as a young man. He fell asleep leaning against a tree and shot off his big toe. His black assistant took off running instead of helping him back to the vehicle. Here in the US, when involved in a car accident, the black guys take off running much of the time.

Is the anwer simple and obvious, such as fear of getting in trouble, or is it more complex? In the case I mentioned, the runner was not at fault in any way, and should have had no fear of being blamed.

Please, no racist or rude responses. I consider this a serious question, and know that there are fellows here who live and work in southern Africa and have a lot of experience.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhhhh---- running away from a pissed hippo as opposed to ???????

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago some fellas were clowning about in shallow water in the Turgwe river on Humani, Roger Whittall's property. One guy got grabbed by a croc - not huge but not too small either. All five of his mates hightailed it as he fought the croc, eventually escaping but wit some quite serious wounds. Wonder what he had to say to his mates when they met up again...I know what I would have said!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Ahhhhhhhh---- running away from a pissed hippo as opposed to ???????

yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the fact that the others not only ran away from the hippo, but they totally abandoned their companion. That's what I'm trying to understand. Does this have cultural roots? If so, what? Clearly behavior that is normal in some societies is decried in others. Honesty ain't viewed the same around the world. Been to any post-communist countries?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote