THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Importer suggestions for trophies through JFK

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importer suggestions for trophies through JFK
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I've been advised by the taxidermist in SA that my three skulls are finished and a shipping quote is being assembled. I'll have them shipped through JFK for close proximity to home. Who would you suggest to handle the import process? I don't have the time or inclination to take the day off to go through USF&W myself.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
JJ Meehan at Fauna and Flora Custom house has done for me in the past when going through there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used coppersmith to clear 3 shipments and all went well. Best service for the money I have found.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest D and L Custom Brokers out of Chicago.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Specialty Importers has done a good job for me at a very reasonable price three times now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coppersmith cleared my shipment in 2015, and their service was flawless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what they paid and their shipment size?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it is just plains game it should be 400 to 500. Some charge dam near 1000 and that is crazy to me.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I have used JJ Mehan at Flora and Fauna 3 times. They have done a great job. You can negotiate as well. There are many extras on the invoice and quotes that you can have removed. I would suggest contacting the above suggested companies once you know the size and weight of your crate. You can ask for a quote for delivery to your home. I see you live in Connecticut. You could also pick it up at their facilities.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Open Carry
posted Hide Post
1) If you can take off work for a half-day, consider self-clearing at Newark airport. If interested I can provide the steps I followed.

2) Estimates at JFK:
Safari Specialty Importers $1,100
Fauna and Flora $500
Coppersmith $450

These prices are the quotes I received a few years ago. If I were to import at JFK, I would use Coppersmith.

Posts: 55 | Location: Easton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 28 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have never used a broker or clearing house. I've done my own since the mid-'90s and if it can be done here in AK, I'm sure it can be done in the Lower 48. Here's what I do:
I get a notice the crate is in a building for incoming cargo.
I call Fish and Wildlife and set a time to meet at the importer and papers are cleared. As long as the doucmentation is correct from the country of origin there are no worries. Pigs must be picked up by a licensed taxidermist for dipping.
After F&W does their thing, I take the paperwork to Customs for their stamp.
Then, back to the freight company with all paperwork and the shipment is released to me (except for pigs).
It's simple, no cost, and on my schedule. I don't know why more don't do this.
Oh yes, if the crate enters the US far from where you live, have the crate sent "in bond" to your nearest airport and gov't offices. Being in Alaska, my crates enter the US in Atlanta or Houston, or where ever but are not opened as they are in bond to Anchorage.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coppersmith now. Used to use Fauna and Flora but they are not as user friendly now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Fauna & Flora 4 times, no bobbles, great results every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fauna and Flora is now owned by MIQ Logistics. JJ Meehan is still heading up the JFK operations.

https://www.miq.com/industries...and-household-goods/

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I've been in touch with Mr Meehan and he will be handling my import for me.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good choice. Fauna and Flora have done all of my importing work, many times and always flawless.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
Safari Specialty Importers has done a good job for me at a very reasonable price three times now.

+1

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote