THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    One Hunter, Two Lions And Two hangers On!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Hunter, Two Lions And Two hangers On!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

As some of you know, we go in hunting with several friends. Some do hunt occasionally, some don't.

Any time one is not hunting, he or she becomes one of the hangers on!

hangers on have to do whatever they are told. They cannot have any sort of choice.

This, of course, creates quite a bit of friction between the hunters and the hangers on.

The day the photo above was taken, Walter and Rolf were hangers on. And we made it plain to them that they should really thank their lucky stars that we allowed them to accompany us on our hunt.

We were hunting at Westwood, in Zimbabwe. Our camp was right on the banks of the Zambezi River.

We were driving along, and came across the tracks of a buffalo herd, which seemed in soome sort of a hurry.

Roy suspected that they might be chased by some lions, and suggested that we come back later and see.

We drove around, and a couple of hours later we drove back to see if we can found some lion tracks.

Sure enough, there were tracks of lions chasing the buffalo. So we decided to leave the hangers on in the truck, and follow the lion tracks.

We were hoping to catch them feeding.

I had a custom built 416 Rigby Improved rifle, built on a Dakota 76 action. And loaded with 400 grain Bear Claw bullets.

Fifteen minutes after leaving the truck with Walter and Rolf in it, we found our lions.

There was a whole pride, sleeping under some trees in the grass.

Every one ran away, except one. We thought it was a lioness, but, it turned out it was a young male instead.

As everyone ran off, this one just got up on his hind legs, and looked towards his running mates.

Roy said shoot it - as we have a license for a lioness as well as a lion.

He was about 40 yards away. I put a bullet into his neck, and he dropped.

Suddenly, a lioness came out of the grass running and growling. Both Roy and myself had her covered, and Roy was said "don
't shoot, don't shoot"

She stopped a few yards from us, turned around and went to sit next to her dead friend.

I put a shot into her shoulders, and she started growling and running in circles around herself. I thought I better put another bullet into her, and she dropped.

Alan went back to get the truck and the hangers on.

As Walter approached, he saw the two lions, and said "I heard three shots, how come there are only two animals here?"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
What is or was Westwood?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neat story. It's always interesting to see photos of multiple dangerous game dropped within reach of each other.

I'm not familiar with Westwood either.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Nzuri sana kofia bwana Saeed.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
By Walter's arithmetic of one animal per shot fired, I would have enough trophies by now to fill the American Museum of Natural History. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walter would never make it hunting geese here in TX. LOL You're lucky to get 3 geese out of a box of shells.
But you do have to love his faith in you. If he heard a shot he just assumes you made a kill.

Saeed,
Just curious, I wouldn't think you mount all of your game animals. What do you do with those you haven't mounted? I'm specifically thinking the bigger game animals.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Are those the same lions in the picture at the top of the Trophy Room forum?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No they are not.

I had the ones mentioned above made into flat skins with heads on.

I only have some of the animals I shoot mounted.

Others are either taken by some of my friends, or left for the PH.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I was a little confused at first when I saw the pic, as thought why would you go for such a young male lion, but the story explains it all. It can be difficult to tell the difference between a young male and a lioness, especially if there is grass and bush in the way! The grin suggests that it was still an enjoyable hunt though, I hope!

Westwood is up in the Matetsi safari area of Zim if I am not mistaken, not sure which unit though.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Havin spent quite abit of time hunting, I have not had a single bad hunt yet Smiler

We've had easy hunts, and hard hunts, but all were very enjoyable.