New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent rash of leopard attacks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was talking to some friends last night about the unusual amount of leopard attacks in the last year or so. It got me to wondering if other than the obvious,(a missplaced shot) was there a comon thread with these wounded cats?

When I shot my only leopard in 2009 my worst fear was that I might wound the cat and place the rest of my hunting party in danger. We saw the cat cross a small opening in the bush abouit a hundred yards off on the way to the bait. I have to admit my heart was pounding really hard, and I was pretty excited. The leopard took about 30 minutes to get to the bait though, and that gave me time to settle down. Luck was with me and I made a good shot so there was no problem.

I would be interested to hear from those who were involved with wounded cats what the circumstances were. Was the client overly excited? Did the inital shot come too fast? What caliber rifle? What was the point of aim, and where did the shot hit?

I'm not trying to place blame here. I just hope we can learn somthing , and prevent more people from getting scratched.

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
There are so many possible reasons, one couldn't pinpoint an exact one, suffice to say a calm client and an understanding of bullet placement, goes along way to ensure a secure situation.

I have been very fortunate in the 20 plus years to have only had 2 charges (successfully dealt with), and have followed one other which never charged but growled excessively from 20 yards away, in full view of us and after tracking him for approximately 600 yards - he too was dispatched without incident.

Excitement and nerves do come into it, knowing that a poorly placed shot can have disastrous consequences. Remember most shots from blinds are upwards of 60/70 yards and your kill area is relatively small at that distance. The time factor of taking a shot can induce a quick, ill placed shot as well, plus the leopard can move at the moment of squeezing the trigger.

Like I said, a number of factors come in to play. The best way of summing up the situation is to understand that it is all an aspect of dangerous game hunting - just do your best to prepare for the hunt.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think the overwhelming factor is bad shooting.

A leopard is relatively easy to kill. And unless the shot was really badly placed, there should not be any question of an attack.

I met Jaco at Dar airport with his arm in a sling. He told me he was attacked by a leopard his client had shot in the stomach.

Which explains why things went south.

Personally, I have absolutely no idea why this should happen.

As one is sitting in in a blind, shooting at a short distance, from a rest.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The leopard is unique in the African world in that you absolutely must kill the animal with your first shot. There is no margin or wiggle room. You either kill it or you don't.

And if you don't kill the cat, that's not a good outcome for your PH. It has to be recovered that night, or you risk it being ripped to shreds by other predators There are all kinds of variables, but when a PH gets scratched it's the result of only one thing; the hunting client didn't kill the leopard with the first shot. It's that simple. No excuses.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Amen. piss poor shooting by clients from a dead rest at a stationary target 50-75 yds away=PH's worst nightmare.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Amen. piss poor shooting by clients from a dead rest at a stationary target 50-75 yds away=PH's worst nightmare.

I beg to differ - on rare occasion even the best of shots makes a cock up; it happens when a sudden unexpected change of the target's posture takes place in that split second the trigger is about to release.

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I beg to differ - on rare occasion even the best of shots makes a cock up; it happens when a sudden unexpected change of the target's posture takes place in that split second the trigger is about to release.

As I said earlier, the leopard can move at the moment of squeezing a trigger, it happened to my client, all caught on video.

Saeed, as someone with vast hunting experience, your calm nature aquired over the years allows you to probably sqeeze off the trigger gently, timeously and accurately. Not so with many other hunters, it is human nature.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's surprising that none of the pro's haven't broached on the light factor. I believe it's inevitable many of the missed placed shots are the result of shooting in very low light, where the aim is not on the body part the hunter thinks it is.

It must be difficult for a PH to determine when last light has come and gone, because his eyesight, and view through the binos, and the clients eyesight, and view through the scope, in many cases is mismatched and in some cases poles apart. Its even worse if the PH calls it by his watch with an arbitrary time the game scout comes up with.

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't disagree much with any of the statememts made here.

sure, the shot at the leopard SHOULD be the easiest shot of the entire safari but sadly, the facts are that it's the one most commonly stuffed up.

I guess that's partly due to nerves and partly due to the alien environment of sitting in the blind...... and there's also no doubt that the cat, just like any other animal can move as the shot is taken....... Although it must be said, that that's most likely to happen when the client rushes his shot and doesn't wait until the cat is settled..... which takes us back to nerves again.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that it helps the client immensely if a decent amount of time is spent rehearsing the shot properly and exactly so that he knows exactly what to expect when he finally gets to sit in the blind for the real thing.

As far as the follow up goes. I'm all for taking advantage of everything that's available. I'll use a truck if I can (not that it's very often possible to) and I find a blue light Surefire Kroma for the tracker and as much light as possible for me are a great advantage.

I'll also use my .500 for the follow up....... I don't reckon that shotgun option at all. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I'll also use my .500 for the follow up....... I don't reckon that shotgun option at all. Wink

A Benelli 10 gauge semi auto loaded with LG is pretty damn lethal over a conventional 12 gauge and seeing I don't have one I'll just have to use my .500 Wink tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Low light conditions, simultaneous leopard movement on branch, "Cat Fever" in the leopard blind, etc...those are all relevant factors yes.

And all those must be taken into consideration BEFORE the shooter engages the trigger. Hindsight when a cock-up is made is always 20-20. But the FORESIGHT in shooting a leopard must be 20-20. It's too important of a shot to guess, hope or be uncertain about.

And I submit to you, that it's the client's inability to factor all these variables into the shot, that leads to problems. If the client cannot make the leopard shot, he should not fire the gun. He should pull back, take a deep breath, let the heart beat calm down and then resume his aim.

The PH is not "ordering" you to take the shot. He's "gently urging" you to take the shot. There's a difference between that, and he would rather you not shoot, if you're not ready.

One factor overlooked as well, is the comfort factor between client and PH. More screwed-up leopard shots are likely to result early on during a safari, than during the final days. Yes there is the pressure of suceeding/getting your cat toward the back end of a safari. But the comfort factor and the improved working relationship between the PH & client, is likely to supersede the pressure. The PH becomes more comfortable with his client's shooting skills, and the client's confidence is higher because he already has several kills under his belt. Those two mental components of shooting are positively related to each other.

Then there are the great shots like Saeed, who can sit down in a leopard blind on day one, and drop the cat out of the tree with relative ease. Whether it's the first day or the 21st day, no problem same result; dead Chui on the ground!

I understand human error and nobody is 100% perfect all the time. But we can and must do a better job of reducing the operator error, and the subsequent leopard attacks.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Moja,

Spoken like a true client.

Dangerous game? Not for the likes of you my friend.

Andrew

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buddy: You got any of them big Sitatunga left?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
That was not pointed directly at you Moja. Many PH's took a good bashing this year (some advertised here and some not) and it makes sensational news to some.

The D in this G is for us and not the client.

Apologies if I appeared facetious

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No no no. I got it. I'm cool with it.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Good comments all. And I agree with almost all of them. There are two which have been mentioned which I believe are key to DRT Chui.

The first, which I call visualization or pre-planning, can begin months or years prior to the hunt but become increasingly more critical as your date with Spots approaches. Let's try; all together now, take a few moments without interruption.

Imagine yourself sitting in a Leopard blind with your rifle positioned so that all you have to do is wrap your hands around it and slip it into your shoulder. See the cat on the tree limb where the bait is tied-up and watch as the cat surveys the area (yes he is looking for you) and you remain perfectly still, almost not breathing. You watch as he relaxes and begins to feed. Your PH taps you twice on the leg, your agreed upon signal that this is a shooter. You find a single rosette that represents the perfect point of impact for the heart/lung shot on Leopard, witch you know well from having viewed pics and vids of Leopard, and you settle your crosshairs. You exhale halfway and freeze as your finger begins the trigger squeeze. The rifle discharge almost surprises you. You remain calm and use your scope to examine the area near the base of the tree. You know you and your PH will remain silent in hopes of hearing any noise from the animal as it may give you clue. After a reasonable period of time, the two of you move forward cautiously towards the base of the tree and then you see your Leopard, DRT, just as you imagined.

The trackers begin decorating the hunt vehicle with branches and as you near the camp they begin singing about you and you Leopard. As you arrive in camp the entire staff is awaiting your arrival and they to are singing your praises as a brave killer of the Leopard.

You will be thankful for your preparation and will never forget your first Leopard and how easy it turned out to be. You will now join with Saeed, Moja, fairgame, shakari, myself and others who wonder what all the fuss is about Leopard hunting.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I've only killed two leopard, but both of them dead with one shot. I believe that the key to not creating mayhem with a bad shot is being cool and calm under pressure, after having practiced the procedure over over and over and over both in your mind and in dry runs. Then when the time does come, it becomes almost automatic and the hunting emotions that can affect your shot are usually minimal. (That is, until you walk up on your DRT trophy leopard!)

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is the sitting and waiting as opposed to the walking and stalking.

There is just something about the anticipation of sitting and waiting on something that when it starts to unfold...the adrenaline starts to flow.

When you have been stalking...your mind is occupied up to and until the shot which keeps the adrenaline factor to a minimum.

I can stalk up to buff all day long an my heart-rate never changes but sitting and waiting in that blind makes me have to remind my self to be calm whether it is a whitetailed deer or a leopard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
MY method of doing in chui so he is "DRT" is to talk to your self in your mind from moving up to the rifle, acquiring him in the scope, and squeezing off the shot.
K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid ...make the shot!

2006, 2009 DRT, dead right there!!!right under the bait 375TSX

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine yourself sitting in a Leopard blind with your rifle positioned so that all you have to do is wrap your hands around it and slip it into your shoulder. See the cat on the tree limb where the bait is tied-up and watch as the cat surveys the area (yes he is looking for you) and you remain perfectly still, almost not breathing. You watch as he relaxes and begins to feed. Your PH taps you twice on the leg, your agreed upon signal that this is a shooter. You find a single rosette that represents the perfect point of impact for the heart/lung shot on Leopard, witch you know well from having viewed pics and vids of Leopard, and you settle your crosshairs. You exhale halfway and freeze as your finger begins the trigger squeeze. The rifle discharge almost surprises you. You remain calm and use your scope to examine the area near the base of the tree. You know you and your PH will remain silent in hopes of hearing any noise from the animal as it may give you clue. After a reasonable period of time, the two of you move forward cautiously towards the base of the tree and then you see your Leopard, DRT, just as you imagined.

The trackers begin decorating the hunt vehicle with branches and as you near the camp they begin singing about you and you Leopard. As you arrive in camp the entire staff is awaiting your arrival and they to are singing your praises as a brave killer of the Leopard.
WOW!!!

Now I wanna go..will never get to but I would in a minute if it were possible. There's just something about cat hunting.

There was a time when jaguar hunting was legal in Central America and I really wanted to do that. The whole idea just seemed something really cool..

posted Hide Post
I have never hunted leopard but have done one plains game hunt in South Africa and have hunted deer abd bear from tree stands here in the U.S. All my shots have either been level with the animal or down from a tree stand. What effect does shooting up at the leopard have on accuracy? I Know that the shot is the same mathmatically whether uphill or downhill but in actual practice do PH's notice a difference in actual shooting?

Thanks,
Silver Bear

Fish hard, shoot straight.

Posts: 10 | Location: Buffalo, New York | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In my own experience at least, the 1/2 hour after sun down is about the maximum time that I can take a shot because of the fall of darkness.

I have sat in leopard blinds God knows how many times, and I have ALWAYS told my PH that it was time to give it up, as the light is getting rather bad, and I am unable to see very clearly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

the key feature of your comment is "on rare occasion". seems lately, this rare occasion has been increasing.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I shot two leopards this year and I needed 4 bullets(2 on each). I promise you both of my leopards were shot in the lung/heart area but they can run quite a bit before they stop breathing. Both shot with a 375H&H. Actually I cant understand how my second leopard got up again, in my book a PERFECT shot.
Anyway I was in the front and fired all 4 shots and sorted it out.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks A. Dahlgren. That is what I was looking for.

There is a saying, once is an incedent, twice is a coincedence, and thre times is a pattern. These have all been good threads. I personaly subscribe to the visualization theory. However if we assume that everything we do is correct then we cease to learn.

I guess what I was hoping for was to hear from those who had wounded cats,and see if there was a common thread besides a missplaced shot. An outfitter who posts on this forum has a video out whitch depicts a leopard charge. In it the initial shot appears to be well placed, right behind the shoulder in the heart lung area. Perhaps we can ask those of ud who have experianced wounded leopard a few questions.

Was this the clients first leopard?
Was the shot rushed?
What were the light conditions? (both my cats were in South Africa, it was dark).
Where was the cat hit?
What was the point of aim? On the shoulder or behind the shoulder?
What caliber rifle?

I'm sure there are other questions we could ask. Just, Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
JMO, while I know that many take a .375 to Africa as a light rifle, expecting it to perform on PG as well as some DG, I also know that many African countries require the .375 as a minimum on DG. However, many experienced PHs and big game hunters consider the .375 to be "too much gun" for Leopard, preferring something like a .30-06 or better still a .300WM for Leopard.

Also, please, never take a "rushed shot" on anything that can cause great bodily harm to you, your PH nor any of your hunting party. I know of Leopards killed in the middle of the day on bait, as well as at last light, first light or by flashlight in pitch black of night. It depends on the country rules. I recommend the cat shot be placed slightly to the rear of the shoulder, as the cats do have a different physiological structure than other animals.

Leopard is a thin skinned animal and even a large one will weigh less than a Kudu, Sable or any Eland, all of which can and have been taken with the .300WM (I have) and are likewise very good for Chui. The lighter bullets seem to open up faster and better than the .375 on the physically small Leopard. I have never heard of a PH insisting a client use the .375 on Leopard when a .30 something is available.

I've managed to kill all my cats with one shot. I don't like follow-ups. Big Grin

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is the D in
DG only the PH responsibility? If I were to wound a Leopard, I would insist that I be side by side with my PH....unless he had been screwing my girl friend!
I am lucky on Leopards, one dead still hanging to bait and one clean miss due to light conditions and him stepping back down the limb and hiding his chest against the tree trunk....probably should not have tried the shot....it was 12th day of 14 day hunt and first Leopard we had on bait.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote