New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today WAS the day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Right now, I was supposed to be airborne between Detroit and Amsterdam enroute to Dar Es Salaam. Due to the increase by the Tanzanian Government, I had to cancell my trip with just less than four weeks to go. Just wondering how many others were affected by the costs increase???

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles. I blame no one but the Tanzanian Government. I am getting a full refund, but the dissapointment comes at a higher price than money can buy back. It was to be my wife's first trip to Africa. I saved for two years to make this trip, and to come so close and have to give it up was tough, but I just couldn't come up with the extra bucks. She and I will get to Africa probably next year, but it will be the Kwazulu Natal instead of Tanzania.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, how sad but yet you have a good plan. You will find Zululand to be awesome.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the news.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My wife's second trip to Africa was to Kwa-Zulu-Natal. She loved it!!! Your wife will too. It is beautiful and it is Africa. Look forward to the future and to a wonderful trip.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Try to find something on a discounted hunt and go this year. It'd go a long way to making you feel better.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's terrible. Very sorry to hear that.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about the canceled hunt. There are some very cheap good quality hunts opened for this year in Zimbabwe with good outfits. Might be worth looking into if you consider that country.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Dale, I can't imagine your disapointment. It is nice to have a backup plan, but nothing compares to the Tanzania experience. It is such a loss.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Dale:

How much extra was the trip going to cost?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
My sympathies. I went last Oct. and caught a break for the first time in my life! It would have been very hard, if not impossible, to swallow the increases on such short notice.
Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mrs Blacktailer and I leave Saturday. In the words of someone smarter than me "To Hell With It, I'm Going Hunting" We will see what the final outcome is. The price increase took cats off the menu but I can still hunt buff!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

If I had taken a second buffalo, and some plains game it would have added about 2500.00 to the trip with the increase of the first buffalo price. I am not one to cut corners, and was not going to compromise my hunt. I love to hunt, and it is a passion of mine. I don't golf,
I fish very little, and I don't do much else besides hunt. I got to hunt in Tanzania in 2005, and had a great hunt. Tanzania has priced itself out of my price range. When you look at the overall picture, there are plenty of other places to hunt in Africa that don't cost nearly as much. The Selous is a great exprience, and I was looking forward to sharing it with my wife. But, she and I are leaving in two weeks for a 12 day cruise in the meditteranian that cost less than just the trophy fees with the increase. I applaude those that can still go to Tanzania, and wish them the best. JudgeG is still going, and so are plenty of others that decided to bite the bullet. I just didn't have time to come up with the extra money. It took me two years to save up enough as it was. I appreciate everyone's condolences, but I will hunt Africa again. I just refuse to get jerked around by the Government of Tanzania. In the long run it's their loss. Not mine.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The loss is mine by not having my friend and his delightful wife in camp for a few days at the beginning of my safari.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Judge,
I think Dale is using this as an excuse so you won't be spending time alone with his wife. I don't blame him.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it is hard but you next trip will be grand! No despair. You are just delaying your fun a little.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT,

She actually seems a helluva lot more upset about this than I am. Wonder why..........