New
Find
Notify
Tools

Radiolab/rhino hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This past week Radiolab, nationally syndicated show that plays on our local public radio station, had a longish (one half hour plus) segment about Corey Knowlton's much publicized hunt for a black rhino in Namibia. Despite what many think about NPR and its perceived liberal bias, the show was very fair and objective. It gave both sides of the story and I think it came down on the side of big game hunting and its contributions to wildlife conservation both in this country and in Africa. I say "I think" because I missed the last five minutes of the show as I was late for my granddaughter's soccer match.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Unless it was another one, it has been out for a while. It is a damn good show and worth listening to. Any time an issue can be complicated versus over-simplified it is good in my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of Colin Castelli
posted Hide Post
Believe this is the show, and it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/rhino-hunter/

Posts: 180 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 16 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just listened to it. It was definitely objective. I thought they did a great job.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
A very good friend of mine who is (*was) a staunch anti-hunter listened to this exact Radiolab. His comment to me was "you've made this argument to me many times before but I never really heard it until now".

While he may never pull a trigger hunting he now fully understands and appreciates what we do - at least the financial implications of it. Moreover, he stopped a conversation amongst several non-hunters and related this exact presentation to them.

I call that a win in my book.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the Radiolab link above - you can share this podcast directly onto your social media services!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote