THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Kyler Hamann's Story in Sports Afield

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kyler Hamann's Story in Sports Afield
 Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

One of our members, Kyler Hamann, has a great story about last season's elephant hunt with Rory Muil (Russ Broom Safaris) in Zimbabwe.

Congratulations Kyler.

10,000 Pounds of Protein on page 62 of September's Sports Afield.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Congratulations Kyler.

clap clap clap clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my copy of S.A. Monday and Kylers write up was the first article I checked out.

Congrats Kyler!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Well done, that man. P'rhaps it'll get some of the NA johnnies off their duffs 'n' tryin' Africa, 'stead of whimperin' 'bout how bad life's treatin' 'em.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best wishes in hoping to see many more articles published. thumb

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Got my copy of SA yesterday. Great article Kyler! jump

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I've seen Kyler drag a 300 pound pig up a 60 degree skree slope and not even get winded..(of course I was standing off to the side showing him the smoothest route up).

It's nice to see they just skinned this one where it fell!

Good job Kyler!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Kyler , Rory told me pretty much the same story which is a good thing.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Kyler, way to go...Will buy it tomorrow to read it....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I just read it yesterday.

Great article, and it may help answer the oft heard question about "What happens to the meat?"

Keep up the good work!

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Will look forward to reading it. For those of you who do not subscribe to Sports Afield, it is probably one of the finest, if not the finest general circulation outdoor magazine today, with plenty of stories nearly every month about Africa. You would do well to subscribe. It's a Safari Press publication as I understand it, and they cleaned up its old act, and made it a class outdoor magazine.

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
Just finished the article a few minutes ago. Well done.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I just got my SA at the PO, and flipped through to catch this article. Checking the pictures, some text caught my eye.

What the heck are "spore" trackers? Wink

Do I get to poke fun at Kyler or the editors?

Now I am going to read the article and check for further amusing writing!

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I met Rory Muil at the end of my safari seemed tough as nails. I saw and have photos of some 60+ lb ivory he had just helped take. They say he can walk the legs off a man. Seems like he is a good choice for a jumbo hunt.
Has anyone who hunted with him feel he is a bit quick on the follow up shot? Great story but I wonder if some myself not included would have had a fit at his shot to the hip. It seems I remember another story or two with the same thing.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also enjoyed this article by Kyler Hamann. I think it is an accuarate depiction of hunting in this area.
My husband and I hunted with Rory in September of '03 out of the Kububa Camp near the border of the Chizarira Park. This was our first safari. Smiler We were about 40 yards from an old bull that we had tracked when he trumpeted. Believing he may have caught our scent, the drama unfolded rapidly, and after the first shot, Rory immeditately followed with one of his own. Rory explained later that we were so close to the park, that he shot to try to avoid the bull taking off to the boundary of the park. I thought at the time that there may well be a charge in progress. It was the only shot Rory took and my husband shot four more times to bring the bull down. It all took about fifteen seconds...
We (well, actually I was the observer for the sake of accuracy, but I do take some ownership of the hunt) also took a 44" buffalo, a leopard, kudu, waterbuck, duiker, bushbuck and warthog on this hunt and Rory never lifted his firearm at any other time. We trusted his judgement at the time and had talked to him about that very thing at the onset of the hunt.
We continue to have enormous respect and confidence in Rory's ability and judgement.
I have no other hunt to judge this by, but my expectations of a safari were exceeded. He was an extremely knowledgable PH and answered my many questions with good humor and the patience of Job.
NJM

Posts: 13 | Location: Lakeland, FL | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
My copy arrived yesterday (which is strange because I don't recall ever subscribing Confused). I enjoyed the story. Kudos to Kyler! Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Very good idea for a story.

Nice to see you wearing your AR cap in the elephant tusk photo - even if you did cover it up with your sunglasses.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Excellent piece! Since SA was revamped, it has become my favorite magazine as well. One of the few that will still allow a hunting story to be published. I had an elk piece in the August issue and hope to work for SA more in the future...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I received my issue a few days ago but just last night read the story. Kudos to Kyler Hamann!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great article. I'll save it for when someone rolls their eyes and says "Oh, how could you think about shooting an elephant..."

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regards to Rory Muil he never lifted his rifle on a fourteen day two buffalo hunt last year with us. After shooting my first buffalo we were tracking it in the thick jess and he saw it first but moved me into position for the followup shot even after I told him if he could see it he could shoot it.And yes he can walk as I covered more ground on foot than my elephand safari, I must admit I asked for it as I encouraged hunting out of the way spots.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Oh man...now we are going to have to listen to him brag about being a published author...

Hey my book just got published...but somehow I don't think you guys are interested in..."Negotiating Telecom Agreements Line by Line"

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

Hey my book just got published...but somehow I don't think you guys are interested in..."Negotiating Telecom Agreements Line by Line"

Will that help me get a cell phone that actually works?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Dan,

You should know beter than most that contracts don't make anything "work"...they just provide remedies if they don't.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the article and is was great. I gave the article to a girl in my office who wondered what happens when an elephant gets killed. While she does not hunt, she appreciates what is done.

Needless to say you don't read to many articles about eco-tourists and bunny huggers heading over to Africa and donating 10000 pds of food to the locals. Seems to get lost somewhere....

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the complements; I'm glad it was enjoyed.
I felt there was a "need" for an article with that angle; I'm really pleased to see a few others had the same thought.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote