New
Find
Notify
Tools

HSUS petition to list Lions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure many of you may be aware of this, but HSUS and other organizations on March 1, 2011 petitioned the Sec of the Int to list African Lions as an endangered species. Guess we'll see what happens next...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
That could have unintended consequences. Listing will make it illegal for US citizens to hunt lions, the perceived value of lions could go down with Africans, and the lions get slaughtered.

Does groups like HSUS have no idea that more many, if not most, of the locals there large cats are considered evil and they would not mind them being killed to point of extinction?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chas.,

that would be acceptable to them. It really is all about people like us having fun hunting anything, let alone the Majestic African Lion.

It's always about us having fun hunting, not the animals themselves. They know everything that is born dies.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
That could have unintended consequences. Listing will make it illegal for US citizens to hunt lions, the perceived value of lions could go down with Africans, and the lions get slaughtered.

Does groups like HSUS have no idea that more many, if not most, of the locals there large cats are considered evil and they would not mind them being killed to point of extinction?

People outside America also hunts Big Grin if im not mistaken.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:

People outside America also hunts Big Grin if im not mistaken.

Yes they do, but if I am not mistaken majority of the Lion are taken by Americans, being listed means we could not export them which would lead to a great loss for the industry and the animal itself.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Maybe im wrong but I think the lions will be "sold" anyway although to a bit more human price ? I did a check on Polar bears for a month ago, and it seems that they are selling good despite the ban for America. I couldnt even get a discount Frowner

AD

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
If the percentages stated in another post (64%) are correct then listing in the US would have an effect. If prices go down then the incentive to "put up with them" versus kill them would go down as well.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
I did a check on Polar bears for a month ago, and it seems that they are selling good despite the ban for America.

Maybe you are wrong. Al Gore tells me nothing like that. According to him all the polar bears have been sold out.

Posts: 8938 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: 11 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Mr. Dahlgren is both right and wrong regarding Polar Bear.

The hunts are being sold, and there is demand for them. However, since the USF&W unilateral stop on US imports, its my understanding that the price of these hunts has actually gone down. I understand that some people who used to provide the hunts have gone out of business and that many local communities in northern Canada have taken a severe financial hit from this.

Regardless of what happens in the US, I hope the lion continues to do well, but if Kenya is any barometer, once the legal market is eclipsed by the illegal market, you will be lucky to find one outside of a very few in parks.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote