New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neuhof's First American Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am the first American to experience a great hunting adventure with Neuhof Safaris.

Neuhof Safaris Web Site: < www.neuhof safaris.com.na>
Location: Namibia: 120miles East of Windhoek and 18 miles outside Gobabis
Flight Arrangements: Kathi @ Wild Travel booked it for me and did a great job. I had the best cheap seat on the entire plane from Dulles to Joburg
Flight Route: Kansas City-WashingtonDulles-Joburg-Windhoek-Joburg-Kimberley-Joburg-Dulles-KC. United between KC and Dulles all other legs SAA.
Dates: Departed KC on 13 May arrived Windhoek 14 May. Hunted 15 May through 20 May and departed 21 May for Johannesburg.
Hunt Booking: I booked it directly with Neuhof Safaris
PH and Manager Japie Engelbrecht : Hostess and manager Lize Engelbrecht
Hannes and Annemarie Nel : Property owners and Lize’s Parents
Rifles: I took two custom Serengeti’s: a 300WSM and a 376 Steyr
Ammo: Federal 180gr TSX for 300 and Handed loaded 270gr Swift A-Frames for 376

General Comments and Overview: This was my four African Safaris and my first in Namibia. The other three were in SA. Everything was better in Namibia. It is easier in and out of Windhoek airport with guns than Johannesburg. Everyone was so friendly. Japie, Lize and her brother Hannes were waiting for me when I arrived. They were driving a new comfortable Toyota SUV with a small covered trailer for my gear. This car was wonderful after such a long journey. Neuhof can currently accommodate up to 6 hunters or 3 couples but Japie likes to have only two hunters. The food was great, the surroundings beautiful (It looked like a small Oasis with palm trees and flowers around the buildings) and the entire family, their friends and staff, were really terrific. Neuhof has about 50,000 acres but we also hunted two other areas of Namibia. I did not go to Neuhof to see how many animals I could shoot or if I could get the biggest on the property. I went there to relax, check the place out to see if my wife would enjoy going there and just have a good time. I did shoot some nice animals. My shots were between 50 and 300 yards. Most were between 150 and 225 yards. Neuhof has terrain that is flat with lots of sand and is easy to walk and ride around on the truck. The two other areas were hilly with lots of rocks. One was Gras Namibia that many on this site have hunted. Jannie Spangenberg is the manager of Gras Namibia and is Japie’s brother in law. Bow hunters you will be in heaven at Neuhof. Japie has at least 3 permanent bow blinds. We put out a trail camera at two of the blinds for about 30 hours each. The camera was set to take 3 pictures in five minutes then wait for 5 minutes before taking any more pictures. Well we got over 300 pictures at each stand. This is a great place to take your wife or children as it is a very family oriented place. If you like to get drunk and raise hell you should go some other place as you will become a member of the Engelbrecht and Nel families during your stay.

HUNTING DAY ONE: Breakfast was from 0600 to 0630. Then we went to the range to check my weapons. Both were still zeroed. We hunted until about 1100 and put a stalk on several animals but got busted so we went to lunch. We went out again about 1500 but we got busted again by some Kudus and Giraffes which I was not hunting. No shots were taken and it got dark about 1730. We had a wonderful dinner buffet style with some good South African Wine and some after dinner drinks. Overall, we saw 14 different species of animal on my first day.

HUNTING DAY TWO: After breakfast we went looking for a big Eland. John the head tracker was tracking them and we were getting into position to make the shot, when a Giraffe spotted us and that was the end of that stalk. The decision was made to leave that area and go look for a Black Wildebeest. We found a herd with a good bull and I took the shot with him facing us at 165 meters and hit him a little left of my aiming point. The 180 grain TSX traveled from his right side and almost exited his left rear high in the hip. I don’t know how it missed his spine but he ran off and the tracking started. John thr hrad tracker and Ben the driver-tracker got on the trail with Japie and I staying a little back and to the sides. After about 20 minutes Japie spotted him off to the right with his head up waiting for us so I put a finishing shot on him. The first TSX was recovered as advertised in Barnes advertisements. We hunted some more; put out the trail camera that I brought as a gift and them went to lunch. After lunch we hunted for a good Gemsbok and spotted lots of them but getting close for a shot was a different matter. We spotted one mixed herd of about 50 and then a herd of 9 bulls. Tried a stalk but were busted by a Kudu. Spotted some more after a bit of driving and we started a stalk on them but could only get to within 225 meters so I took the shot off the sticks and he went down. TSX was a pass through. A good one but not at large as some that I saw. Next we went to a different part of the property and tried to put a stalk on another really big Eland but we got busted by a Kudu. We called it a day and went back to camp and cleaned up and had a wonderful evening at camp.

HUNTING DAY THREE: This was a special treat for me. I flew copilot in Hannes’ plane and I told him I would navigate using a map rather that his GPS. On the way to the airport we spotted 3 male Cheetahs that were putting a stalk on a Duiker. What a great way to start the day. We flew 135 NM Southwest to Gras Namibia where Japie has a partial interest. His brother in law, Jannie Spangenberg is manager of Gras Namibia, that huge rocky nearly treeless hunting area that so many AR members have hunted. It is suppose to have over 7000 Springbuck and I believe it. We had a bite or two to eat and we went looking for me a 16â€+ Springbuck. Well I missed the best one at 350 yards and later made a good shot at 225 yards. We kept hunting when we spotted a Jackal and I killed it at over 200 yards. Jannie gave me the Springbuck for killing the Jackal. We ate lunch at Gras Namibia before flying home. Gras Namibia is also a great looking place to hunt with very nice accommodations.

HUNTING DAY FOUR: We started after Eland again. John cut a fresh trail and we are moving in for the shot. It is a really big bull with very long horns but he is hidden in heavy brush and a smaller one is in front of him. Well a Kudu breaks up that stalk. We look some more but are unable to get close to any. It is getting hot and the wind is not cooperating so we decided to leave the area and return in the afternoon. We go to a different area, move the trail camera. After lunch and a little nap we go after Eland again. John finds a hot trail and we are after them when the wind shifts and the Eland take off with that clicking sound they make. Of course with my bad hearing I must take Japie’s word for the clicking sound. We find another herd with a couple of nice bulls and we try to get closer. The wind is good but we run out of cover and the Eland are still partially hidden. They start to move and Japie tells me to take the last bull or the next to the last one. They are moving in a direction that will soon put our scent to their noses but the cover is still thick and I don’t want to pay for a wounded Eland. Finally, there is a small opening and I take the shot at about 165 yards with my 376 Steyr and the Eland drops on the spot. The Swift 270 grain A-Frame was a pass through and I had my Eland. What a big animals they are. Later, at a different hunting area I saw one jump an 8’ fence. That night I was treated to a huge Namibia Beef steak. The steak covered my dinner plate and I finished it at breakfast.

HUNTING DAY FIVE: We go out for a little hunting before going to a garden party at another ranch about 30miles away; where we join about 40 ladies having a party. We join in the feast of food and drink The main course was Gemsbok steak cooked over an open flame. Boy was that good. This is a prize winning cattle ranch but they have a hunting area so Japie and I borrow a truck and go for a little game drive. That evening we go out and I finally get my Duiker. By this time I have shot everything I came to hunt except for a Hartman’s Zebra which we will go after on my final day of hunting. I could have hunted and killed the following animals: Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Impala, Blesbok, Waterbuck, Warthog, Giraffe, Ostrich and a Burchell Zebra .

HUNTING DAY SIX: This is also relocation day as we are going for my Hartmann Zebra which is west of Windhoek and I will be flying out of Windhoek the next morning. We (Japie, Lize, John and myself) stop in Windhoek for lunch and check into a hotel apartment in Klein Windhoek. We left Lize at the apartment and went hunting. This hunting area was located about 20 or 30 miles from Windhoek and it was high desert. The people are also very friendly. We were invited into their home for cold drinks and they gave Japie a truck and a driver and told us if we saw a Leopard to shoot it as it had killed one of their Arabian foals the night before. After driving around for an hour or so we spotted some Zebras about a half mile away and the stalk was on. I finally got a shot after an hour or so and took it off the sticks. It was 275 yards uphill but the Zebra moved just as I shot and I hit it in the flank. The Barnes TSX broke the opposite leg bone in several places. I got a quick second shot and broke the front leg in several places. We then sprinted up the hill and I put the finishing shot on my Zebra. We did not see the Leopard. We arrived back at the hotel after dark. After a nice shower and a change of clothes I took Japie and Lize out to dinner at a nice restaurant.

DAY SEVEN: Departed for the airport, said our goodbyes and I was off to Johannesburg and another adventure. Checking end, clearing customs and gun control took about 15 minutes.

POST SCRIPE: All member of this family are wonderful and this is a great place to hunt with lots of quality trophy animals. They can also arrange for DG hunting with other family members.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice report. I really like the custom pork chair cushion!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She actually is one of their house pets!! Her name is Tina! She doesn't like to be sat on though! Smiler

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got to love Namibia! No hassels just a good time

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Great report and even better as posted by a lefty!

One of those zebra is very high on my list of animals I have yet to hunt and Namibia is on my list of places I'll likely hunt in Africa soon.

Congrats on a great hunt.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice report. Thanks for posting it. That family sounds like one that I would enjoy spending time with.

The photo of the pig and the dog scientifically proves that they will eat carrion...the dog is playing dead right?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
ARMYAVIATOR !!!! CONGRATULATIONS, VERY NICE HUNT!!!, I WAS AT THE GRASS IN MAY 2007 AND I WAS VERY LUCKY BECAUSE I MET THOSE SPLENDID PEOPLE, THANKS FOR SHARING.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Great report.

It's a special feeling to be the first American to hunt with an outfitter. I had the honor with a different Namibian outfitter/farmer in '05.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mentioned a "nice restaurant" do you have the name.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not remember the name of the restaurant but I will find out and post it later. Actually the Pension I stayed at on my last night was very nice and very secure behind a gate with a guard. Their breakfast was really nice with everything you could ask for in a terrific setting and it was great for families as some of the places were apartments with 3 bedrooms. I will get the name of this place which was located in Klein Windhoek and will post it later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Very nice report. Thanks for posting it. That family sounds like one that I would enjoy spending time with.

The photo of the pig and the dog scientifically proves that they will eat carrion...the dog is playing dead right?

The Shepherd is playing dead. The top dogs were a Jack Russell and some kind of little white dog that kept Tina the pig in line. Tina was restricted to the patio area of the home and she really made a lot of noise trying to get into the home. They also had a 9 year old female that was a former pet stop by every few days with a couple of her young ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
ARMYAVIATOR !!!! CONGRATULATIONS, VERY NICE HUNT!!!, I WAS AT THE GRASS IN MAY 2007 AND I WAS VERY LUCKY BECAUSE I MET THOSE SPLENDID PEOPLE, THANKS FOR SHARING.

The PH's at Gras Namibia were really impressed with your shooting. I guess it was the best they have ever see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChopperGuy:
Great report and even better as posted by a lefty!

One of those zebra is very high on my list of animals I have yet to hunt and Namibia is on my list of places I'll likely hunt in Africa soon.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Hey Chopper Guy; That what I did for 25 years. Viet Nam through Desert Storm. Then I retired and started building Home.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very good report and pics. Namibia is a wonderful country!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Army: I couldn't get the website to come up. Can you check it pls? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice report - looks like a wonderful trip.

Corrected website address Neuhof Safaris

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by army aviator:
I am the first American to experience a great hunting adventure with Neuhof Safaris.

Neuhof Safaris Web Site: < www.neuhof safaris.com.na>
Location: Namibia: 120miles East of Windhoek and 18 miles outside Gobabis
Flight Arrangements: Kathi @ Wild Travel booked it for me and did a great job. I had the best cheap seat on the entire plane from Dulles to Joburg
Flight Route: Kansas City-WashingtonDulles-Joburg-Windhoek-Joburg-Kimberley-Joburg-Dulles-KC. United between KC and Dulles all other legs SAA.
Dates: Departed KC on 13 May arrived Windhoek 14 May. Hunted 15 May through 20 May and departed 21 May for Johannesburg.
Hunt Booking: I booked it directly with Neuhof Safaris
PH and Manager Japie Engelbrecht : Hostess and manager Lize Engelbrecht
Hannes and Annemarie Nel : Property owners and Lize’s Parents
Rifles: I took two custom Serengeti’s: a 300WSM and a 376 Steyr
Ammo: Federal 180gr TSX for 300 and Handed loaded 270gr Swift A-Frames for 376

General Comments and Overview: This was my four African Safaris and my first in Namibia. The other three were in SA. Everything was better in Namibia. It is easier in and out of Windhoek airport with guns than Johannesburg. Everyone was so friendly. Japie, Lize and her brother Hannes were waiting for me when I arrived. They were driving a new comfortable Toyota SUV with a small covered trailer for my gear. This car was wonderful after such a long journey. Neuhof can currently accommodate up to 6 hunters or 3 couples but Japie likes to have only two hunters. The food was great, the surroundings beautiful (It looked like a small Oasis with palm trees and flowers around the buildings) and the entire family, their friends and staff, were really terrific. Neuhof has about 50,000 acres but we also hunted two other areas of Namibia. I did not go to Neuhof to see how many animals I could shoot or if I could get the biggest on the property. I went there to relax, check the place out to see if my wife would enjoy going there and just have a good time. I did shoot some nice animals. My shots were between 50 and 300 yards. Most were between 150 and 225 yards. Neuhof has terrain that is flat with lots of sand and is easy to walk and ride around on the truck. The two other areas were hilly with lots of rocks. One was Gras Namibia that many on this site have hunted. Jannie Spangenberg is the manager of Gras Namibia and is Japie’s brother in law. Bow hunters you will be in heaven at Neuhof. Japie has at least 3 permanent bow blinds. We put out a trail camera at two of the blinds for about 30 hours each. The camera was set to take 3 pictures in five minutes then wait for 5 minutes before taking any more pictures. Well we got over 300 pictures at each stand. This is a great place to take your wife or children as it is a very family oriented place. If you like to get drunk and raise hell you should go some other place as you will become a member of the Engelbrecht and Nel families during your stay.

HUNTING DAY ONE: Breakfast was from 0600 to 0630. Then we went to the range to check my weapons. Both were still zeroed. We hunted until about 1100 and put a stalk on several animals but got busted so we went to lunch. We went out again about 1500 but we got busted again by some Kudus and Giraffes which I was not hunting. No shots were taken and it got dark about 1730. We had a wonderful dinner buffet style with some good South African Wine and some after dinner drinks. Overall, we saw 14 different species of animal on my first day.

HUNTING DAY TWO: After breakfast we went looking for a big Eland. John the head tracker was tracking them and we were getting into position to make the shot, when a Giraffe spotted us and that was the end of that stalk. The decision was made to leave that area and go look for a Black Wildebeest. We found a herd with a good bull and I took the shot with him facing us at 165 meters and hit him a little left of my aiming point. The 180 grain TSX traveled from his right side and almost exited his left rear high in the hip. I don’t know how it missed his spine but he ran off and the tracking started. John thr hrad tracker and Ben the driver-tracker got on the trail with Japie and I staying a little back and to the sides. After about 20 minutes Japie spotted him off to the right with his head up waiting for us so I put a finishing shot on him. The first TSX was recovered as advertised in Barnes advertisements. We hunted some more; put out the trail camera that I brought as a gift and them went to lunch. After lunch we hunted for a good Gemsbok and spotted lots of them but getting close for a shot was a different matter. We spotted one mixed herd of about 50 and then a herd of 9 bulls. Tried a stalk but were busted by a Kudu. Spotted some more after a bit of driving and we started a stalk on them but could only get to within 225 meters so I took the shot off the sticks and he went down. TSX was a pass through. A good one but not at large as some that I saw. Next we went to a different part of the property and tried to put a stalk on another really big Eland but we got busted by a Kudu. We called it a day and went back to camp and cleaned up and had a wonderful evening at camp.

HUNTING DAY THREE: This was a special treat for me. I flew copilot in Hannes’ plane and I told him I would navigate using a map rather that his GPS. On the way to the airport we spotted 3 male Cheetahs that were putting a stalk on a Duiker. What a great way to start the day. We flew 135 NM Southwest to Gras Namibia where Japie has a partial interest. His brother in law, Jannie Spangenberg is manager of Gras Namibia, that huge rocky nearly treeless hunting area that so many AR members have hunted. It is suppose to have over 7000 Springbuck and I believe it. We had a bite or two to eat and we went looking for me a 16â€+ Springbuck. Well I missed the best one at 350 yards and later made a good shot at 225 yards. We kept hunting when we spotted a Jackal and I killed it at over 200 yards. Jannie gave me the Springbuck for killing the Jackal. We ate lunch at Gras Namibia before flying home. Gras Namibia is also a great looking place to hunt with very nice accommodations.

HUNTING DAY FOUR: We started after Eland again. John cut a fresh trail and we are moving in for the shot. It is a really big bull with very long horns but he is hidden in heavy brush and a smaller one is in front of him. Well a Kudu breaks up that stalk. We look some more but are unable to get close to any. It is getting hot and the wind is not cooperating so we decided to leave the area and return in the afternoon. We go to a different area, move the trail camera. After lunch and a little nap we go after Eland again. John finds a hot trail and we are after them when the wind shifts and the Eland take off with that clicking sound they make. Of course with my bad hearing I must take Japie’s word for the clicking sound. We find another herd with a couple of nice bulls and we try to get closer. The wind is good but we run out of cover and the Eland are still partially hidden. They start to move and Japie tells me to take the last bull or the next to the last one. They are moving in a direction that will soon put our scent to their noses but the cover is still thick and I don’t want to pay for a wounded Eland. Finally, there is a small opening and I take the shot at about 165 yards with my 376 Steyr and the Eland drops on the spot. The Swift 270 grain A-Frame was a pass through and I had my Eland. What a big animals they are. Later, at a different hunting area I saw one jump an 8’ fence. That night I was treated to a huge Namibia Beef steak. The steak covered my dinner plate and I finished it at breakfast.

HUNTING DAY FIVE: We go out for a little hunting before going to a garden party at another ranch about 30miles away; where we join about 40 ladies having a party. We join in the feast of food and drink The main course was Gemsbok steak cooked over an open flame. Boy was that good. This is a prize winning cattle ranch but they have a hunting area so Japie and I borrow a truck and go for a little game drive. That evening we go out and I finally get my Duiker. By this time I have shot everything I came to hunt except for a Hartman’s Zebra which we will go after on my final day of hunting. I could have hunted and killed the following animals: Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Kudu, Impala, Blesbok, Waterbuck, Warthog, Giraffe, Ostrich and a Burchell Zebra .

HUNTING DAY SIX: This is also relocation day as we are going for my Hartmann Zebra which is west of Windhoek and I will be flying out of Windhoek the next morning. We (Japie, Lize, John and myself) stop in Windhoek for lunch and check into a hotel apartment in Klein Windhoek. We left Lize at the apartment and went hunting. This hunting area was located about 20 or 30 miles from Windhoek and it was high desert. The people are also very friendly. We were invited into their home for cold drinks and they gave Japie a truck and a driver and told us if we saw a Leopard to shoot it as it had killed one of their Arabian foals the night before. After driving around for an hour or so we spotted some Zebras about a half mile away and the stalk was on. I finally got a shot after an hour or so and took it off the sticks. It was 275 yards uphill but the Zebra moved just as I shot and I hit it in the flank. The Barnes TSX broke the opposite leg bone in several places. I got a quick second shot and broke the front leg in several places. We then sprinted up the hill and I put the finishing shot on my Zebra. We did not see the Leopard. We arrived back at the hotel after dark. After a nice shower and a change of clothes I took Japie and Lize out to dinner at a nice restaurant.

DAY SEVEN: Departed for the airport, said our goodbyes and I was off to Johannesburg and another adventure. Checking end, clearing customs and gun control took about 15 minutes.

POST SCRIPE: All member of this family are wonderful and this is a great place to hunt with lots of quality trophy animals. They can also arrange for DG hunting with other family members.

Jorge, Phil & Chopper Guy thanks for the kind words. My technical advisory: AKA my daughter, pointed out several typos in some of my post. Sorry! It really is a great place and I am trying to get some trail camera pictures to post that were taken from the bow blinds. They are amazing. I don't bow hunt but bow hunters will absolutely love seeing so many animals less than 30 yards away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Army: I couldn't get the website to come up. Can you check it pls? jorge

Jorge I think my mistake on the website was an unwanted space between neuhof and safaris. The site comes up when you click on Phils correction to my post. Thanks Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
You mentioned a "nice restaurant" do you have the name.

The name of the restaurant was The Cattle Baron. However, on my next trip I think I want to go to Joe's Beer Hall or something like that. I have heard many good comments about it but do not really know a lot about the place