New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minute of elephant accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since getting my Ruger No. 1 in 450/400 3" a while back, I have been enjoying the sight-in and practice with it for my tuskless and buff hunt next year. I KNOW, I KNOW, SPARE ME THE SINGLE SHOT LECTURE - WE WILL HAVE SEVERAL APPROPRIATE CALIBER REPEATERS ALONG! I just like them, and intend to use it Smiler

My problem is with the open sights, for use as backup sights if the scope fails. Just how good do I need to be, considering the shot will probably be less than 20 yards?

The stock factory sights are a POS, and basically the same as the ones on my 10/22's, with a little sliding piece of tin to adjust elevation with. With my aging eyes, I can only shoot about 3" groups with them, at 50 yards. I was wondering if any of you here have replaced them with the one-piece steel one from NECG, or their adjustable peep (which will fit the Ruger ring base)? Any other good options out there?

I did put a 2.5X Leupold Compact on for a DG scope, and love it. I can stay under an inch at 25 yards, and 1-1.5" at 50 yards. All these from field positions, after some exercise, or off sticks.

What are a PH's expectations for accuracy from his hunter, when you are that close?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I changed the rear sight on my .416 Rem Mag No 1 to a NECG Masterpiece. The front sight is a NECG for Rugers with the white bead. I have fitted and installed both sights and am very happy with the quality and sight picture. They are light years better than the factory Ruger sights. My rifle has a Leupold 1.75 by 6 scope the Warne QD mounts and I would like to hunt buffalo in September with the iron sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blank you are good to go. Don't worry be happy. The best thing that you can do now is study you anatomy. That is the most difficult part.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used iron only on my 416/404 (416 Howell) to take my elephant in Namibia in 2006. My rifle uses NECG front and rear express sight set. It worked very well and was very visible (and my eyes were 65 years young at the time.)

I would agree about elephant anatomy. Read Will's book. He has very good descriptions and pictures of shot placement.

I know your mind is made up about the #1, so my recommendation is to practice getting off five fast shots - three quick ones followed by two quick ones. I've never fired one of these rifles, but it seems to me that the trick is to have additional rounds close at hand for the reload. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Thanks; that's just the info that I was hoping for. I will have to look them up in the catalog, and see if I can follow up on that. My wife thinks I spend way to much time watching Buzz's DVD, and studying shot placement on every other one now. Smiler

For anyone's info, the Uncle Mikes elastic cartridge holder for putting on a stock fits perfectly on your wrist over a shirt sleeve, and doesn't turn. If you space the big Nitro's in every other one, you get five with plenty of case to grab. Drop the lever with the right hand, and grab a reload. Keeping the rifle at my shoulder, I find it a lot faster than loading out of a belt.

Need to take a little off the front of the safety (which sticks up above the loading trough a bit), as occasionally the rim catches and it doesn't clear. Just aggravating enough to get you killed! I can get three shots off really quick, and all six in about 10 seconds. Like Steve Mizerak said about pool - Practice, Practice, Practice!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can consistently hold a 6" group at 50m I would be more than happy enough for you to take a brain shot on ele! Only when I see groups of over 6-8" off the sticks at 50m do I start trying to interest the client in a heart shot.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Shooting 1" groups doesn't mean much if you don't know where to shoot. If you are not worried sick about the brain shot, you're not ready for it. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant hunting only gets fun under 25yds-in which case open sights are plenty.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I differ with most on this, I hate any rifle that won't shoot an inch or two at 50 yards. I want a bolt gun to shoot 1" at 100 and I want my double to shoot 1.5" at 50..My latest double shot 1" everytime at 50 yds as did Sweet Thang (now belongs to Robgunbuilder) and her predisesor that went to Alaska.

I figure I just might want to shoot something in the eye that is looking for me...

Bottom line is I have no use for inaccurate rifles, only accurate rifles interest me and Col. Whelen...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I think the question Ray is not whether the rifle is accurate it is whether one can shoot it accurately. What does it matter if a rifle shoots half inch groups at a hundred yards from the bench if one can't hit the broadside of a barn at a hundred yards when in the field?

An accurate rilfe sure can't hurt anything, especially for one's confidence.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blank you are good to go. Don't worry be happy. The best thing that you can do now is study you anatomy. That is the most difficult part.

ELS gave you the straight of it! You are really going to like that 450/400 3 inch. AS ELS and others can tell you, combined with a good 400 grain Woodleigh solid, the round has great penetration!

Hope you have a great hunt!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a fellow can content himself with a heart/lung shot, then IMO he is ready to go elephant hunting if he can hit a basketball offhand at 25 yards.

If a fellow would like to try for a brain shot (perhaps not the best idea with a single shot rifle), then he ought to be able to keep his 3 shot group into an area half the size of a basketball at 25 yards.

And if you get up to 10 yards or a bit closer, those accuracy standards can be loosened.

Perhaps more critical than how well a guy shoots a rifle on the range is how well he can shoot it when sweaty, exhausted, panting and full of adrenaline.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
Perhaps more critical than how well a guy shoots a rifle on the range is how well he can shoot it when sweaty, exhausted, panting and full of adrenaline.

Well stated...

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Managed to pick up another box of Hornady factory loaded soft points tonight for $69. Soon as the dies get here, I will be loading up a box of the Barnes Banded Solids (.4095) to try. Hope to have the Woodleighs to try also.

Ordered Will's book tonight also, so see, you can teach an old dog new tricks. Didn't even take very much brow beating by the forum. Smiler