THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Remington M30/Enfield to .404 or .416 Rigby

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M30/Enfield to .404 or .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
As some of you may have noticed, I have love for traditional (read old ) style guns in traditional calibers.

I am looking for an action to build a .404 Jeffries or .416 Rigby on. I've spoken to my gunsmith who says it can be done fairly easily on a Rem M30 action.

Does anyone have any experience with this combo or know of anyone who has done it?

Thanks in advance,

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Properly done the Enfields and Rem 30's make up into a beatiful rifle and very dependable indeed....go for it. Make a 505 Gibbs or 416 Rigby...A 404 is better on a standard M-98 Mauser....The 404's over all lenth is shorter than a 375 H&H.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41955 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
JLHeard,

Remington built the Model 30 from the machine tools and parts they had left after WWI when the were building P-17 Enfield rifles. Later the Model 30 and 30S became the 720 Remington, which is very rare now.

Art Alphin and A-Square built no end of boomers on the Enfield action that was the base for his Hannibal rifle.

I see used A-Square rifles for sale more often than I see M30s!

Good luck with your project. I think I would build a Rigby...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JL, Enfields make great projects. The 30, 30S, and 720 were the commercial versions of the P14/17. Some internal changes, and lock/firing pin changes a;ong the way. A nice version of the commercial ones might have some collector value, so check that out before you start chopping. As for the P14/17 versions, stick to the remingtons whenever you can. They don't have the big gaping hole under the rear sight that needs filling. Also the Eddystones are supposedly pretty brittle, so avoid those especially. a P14 will give you a bolt face that is pretty much magnum sized (they were originally chambered for the 303 British. Bottom metal either has to be cut and re-welded (reducing magazine capacity)or replaced. London Guns in California has some decent stuff for a reasonable price. The rear sight wings have to be ground off, and at that time you can match up the front and rear receiver rings, to whatever profile you like. Speed lock kits and cock on opening kits are still available. removing the barrel is sometimes tough, they are in there pretty tight. machining a relief groove in front of the receiver to reduce the pressure helps a lot. the barrel will need to be coned and slotted like a Winchester 70 barrel (different thread and shank sizes though). American gunstocks can find you some decent wood pre-inletted for the Enfield. A little work and sprucing up and you have a nice rifle. And yes, they make up a dandy 416 Rigby. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote