Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Torch
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Can't seem to be able to find my Surefire, so I need to buy a new flashlight for my upcoming safari. What is the most powerful of the new mini lights for under $100?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

Try this web site out?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
SBT: When do you leave?? I will be anxious for the report from Nixon's camp, facilities, and how the hunt went.

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I was in Zim in June and the PH used a Browning Tactical Hunter that was SUPER bright. 400 lumens, takes 3 CR123 batts, 99 bucks. We actually carried it to the leopard blind instead of the spotlight. It is not the smallest (probably 6.5 inches long), but the barrel is basically Surefire sized. Bulb assembly and lens are about two inches across.
They also make a two battery version that is 80 lumens.

They have them at Cabelas and Bass Pro.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

We really like the Streamlight TaskLight 2-L.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Size/output, the Lummi Raw is hard to beat http://www.lummi.co.uk/Raw_Al.html

200 Lumen, 2 output modes and with rechargeable battery included.

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This does not address your constraints, however, we take a surefire aviator and a rechargeable maglight

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion nothing beats the Fenix Light. You get twice the performance of a Surefire at half the price. I own several Surefire and Fenix flashlights and always find myself going to the Fenix. All the flashlights I own now utilize AA rechargeable batteries as they are significantly cheaper than the CR123A batteries. Invest in some of the Enelope rechargeable and you won't regret the decision. Here's the link to FenixLight

I have purchased my Fenix Light from Lighthound

My choice for a compact flashlight would be the LD20 which utilizes two AA batteries. You can also purchase the LD10 body and utilize one AA battery. The best of both worlds.

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't think the surefire range can be beaten...... and this might help: http://astore.amazon.com/shaka...20/detail/B000UTZRYK

If you're going to be hunting Leopard, the surefire kroma, although helluva price is worth every penny......... sorry, cent!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Go to Midway USA and look for DarkOps Hellifighter. They have a few models from small to large.

1/2 the cost of Surefire, and bright. Probably similar to others mentioned.

I like mine.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using flashlights since I was a Cub Scout in the 1960's.

I have used a bunch of different kinds.

To make a long story short, I now use Petzel headlights and Surefire flashlights.

For your "personal" Torch, and if you are only going to carry one I recommend the A2 Aviator.

It has a 50 Lumen incandescent bulb AND 3 LED's of 3 Lumens.

Here are its advantages:

The Incandescent bulb gives true white light, which gives true color rendition.

The LED's at 3 Lumens is just the ticket for use in the tent/chalet, vehicle, or walking around when you do not want to mess up your night vision.

I like the white LED,s best for this.

Also take a SC3 Spares carrier, with an extra MAO2 incandescent bulb and 4 batteries.

I NEVER take only none flashlight, but I always take my A2 Aviator. In fact I am wearing it now, it use it daily at the house.

The E1L Outdoorsman is a great Spare light.

I use an E1e Executive Elite quite a bit, but I have had it for several years, the LED E1L, might be a better choice, Leds have come a long way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also on the A2 Aviator, if the incandescent bulb burns out, the leds still burn, and when the batteries get too low to "light" the Incad. bulb, the led's, will still "burn" for quite a while.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys. So far, I'm leaning towards the Fenix TK12. Let me know what you think.

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewproduct.asp?id=101

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
SBT

Please report back on the performance of the TK12. The stats are impressive.

FYI New 80 lumen Browning light came in today's mail and sucks! Nothing compared to the bigger 400 lumen model. Its back to the Surefire for me.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I need a really bright compact light I use a Surefire M6.