THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lessons to be learnt from an "incident" .

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lessons to be learnt from an "incident" .
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
In another recent/current thread a “problem / mishap / whatever you call it” and how it was solved was discussed in detail. Here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/7571008291/p/1

In this MJines posted
quote:
Surely there are some lessons to be learned from this thread . . .

Here I wish to explore what is there to learn about going on an African Hunting Safari from the problems experienced before Dogleg’s Mozambique October 2013 safari with Infinito Safaris?

I hope to keep this discussion to the point of “learning” and not about any finger pointing and back-slapping or stabbing. There are two distinct [and probably more] time slots likely in the learning as time goes on curve: (i) The part that we can learn before the Internet Kangaroo Court has passed judgement on who or what was ultimately responsible for the problem, and (ii) the quite different phase when cause and effect is known and any good manager can plan steps or procedures to eliminate, or at least drastically reduce the chances of, a repeat incident.

It is most definitely not my intention to consider “what if” arguments, and also not to do a detailed critical analysis of how this particular issue, let me just I refer to it as a “problem”, was handled. I hope to set a framework from which the generic guidelines for handling such or similar “problems” can be distilled by non-finger-pointing discussion by the AR members.

IMHO the most important things that a hunter can learn from this sequence of events are:

1. If you are not sure what to do – ASK!
2. If you feel you need help – ASK!

Let us just briefly run through the relevant sequence of events:

• Dogleg stated briefly a problem – without and name calling, slander or anything that is irrelevant – and asked:
quote:
Any ideas?

• A number of suggestions and comments were made by various posters. Maybe it is very important to note that Dogleg responded very well to questions and suggestions in this stage of the sequence of events. He communicated!
• Dogleg realized he may need help and asked by posting:
quote:
Anyone want to volunteer to be a SA AR friend?

• Many things happened and Dogleg got to his hunting camp OK, I hope. Well not quite sure, as I said goodbye to Dogleg in Springs while with an Infinito Safaris associate, who most graciously afforded both of us a very decent meal and accommodation overnight. In addition he offered to take Dogleg to the airport very early in the morning, so saving me quite a bit of a detour – and driving in early morning peak traffic in Johannesburg area. Perhaps the most important aspect of the ‘many things that happened’ is that Dogleg kept on communicating!

The most important lesson that I’ve learnt: Murphy’s Law holds true! If something can go wrong, it will!

A suggestion to prevent such an incident? If you [being either the hunter or the outfitter] are about to send off a critical information or arrangement e-mail message, use your mail program “delivered” and also the “read” options. If you do not get a reply that clearly acknowledges to transfer of the critical info, send another message asking for such acknowledgement!

A possible request or suggestion to Saeed: Is it possible to show the time of a message posting as GMT? If JoeAR posted a message at 02:30 his time, and I have no idea of in what time zone JoeAR operates I really have no idea of how long ago it was posted. Then sorting our who said what and when is near impossible.

But then maybe showing the GMT time of posting may cause other problems? I don't know! It is now 16:10 local time or 18:10 GMT.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To me, the biggest lessons to be learned are, (1) never leave your travel arrangements to someone else, other than a capable travel agent and (2) make sure those arrangements are nailed down well in advance of the trip. Everything after those two factors was damage control in the situation you are referring to.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MJines could not be more spot on. Leave the travel arrangements to a professional particularly arrangements involving multi-country travel, overnights etc. and do it as early as possible so all parties involved are on the same page.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
MJines could not be more spot on. Leave the travel arrangements to a professional particularly arrangements involving multi-country travel, overnights etc. and do it as early as possible so all parties involved are on the same page.
Mark

And be sure you have Andrew McLaren on speed dial!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mark

And be sure you have Andrew McLaren on speed dial!

clap clap clap

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9578 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote