New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happiness
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I find the elements of any safari to be far more than the hunting. Below is a story of a time long past and a person who made it truly memorable. For the complete post and images see https://ngruma.com/2016/07/20/happiness/

KwaZulu-Natal: Circa turn of the century...

It was a difficult safari. The vegetation was dense and green. The rainy season extending very late this year. Two of us were in pursuit of a pair of Nyala worthy of the adjective "trophy". They seemingly were on holiday at an undisclosed location. Our daily marches had yielded nothing but wet clothes, run ins with various ill tempered Jumbo's and more than a handful of reptile encounters in the armpit high riverine habitat.

The red pepper ticks were in the midst of a population explosion that yielded results in the ounce per leg category nightly, despite our best efforts and applications of all repellants known to man. Gaiters capping boots and socks soaked in various concoctions, and liberal dousing of pant legs would do nothing to deter the hungry hordes. My friend Con and his lifelong tracker Eric were in shock at the severity of the infestation. It seemed everything from ticks to jumbo were thriving.

One evening Eric stayed with the truck after dropping us several miles distant. He would pick us up at the pre-arranged spot near the end of a long waterway. Nearing our destination in the fading light Con picked up movement and we heard one very ticked off bull elephant. Our attempts to radio Eric were met with silence. as we gingerly approached downwind to about fifty yards from the vehicle our hearts raced. Things were not normal at all. Both windows were down, and the truck was empty. Two large tusk holes penetrated the tailgate along with one more in the passenger door. Rifles at the ready we approached. The darkness near total, we found no Eric. Con called out softly as the bull was still trumpeting nearby and sounding like he was getting nearer. My wife picked up a small sound from within the cab of the truck and peered in. Eric was there, contorted over and around the right hand steering column, brake and clutch pedal all under the dash in a manner that would do a python proud. We hastily drug him out and proceeded to make a hasty retreat, while radioing Park headquarters for a rescue pickup.

The bull had recruited fifteen or so other elephants and was searching for us, en masse, as we made our way downwind along the roadway for better than a mile. Waiting and listening in total darkness to the jumbo's tirade while hoping for the Park vehicle to speedily arrive.

Eric shakily relayed his tale. He was relaxing in the drivers seat when the bull approached silently from the rear. Next thing he knew the bakkie (truck) was lifted almost off the ground while the angry elephant screamed his displeasure at the situation. The bull tusked the passenger door while reaching his trunk through the open window to find Eric, now intertwined around anything he could find. Unable to get a good grasp on the tracker, the bull moved to the rear and drove his two tusks through the tailgate, pushing the parked truck several yards. He then moved to the drivers open window and tried in vain to pull the terrified Eric from his twisted frozen position to no avail. It took several hours after returning safely to camp for all of us to sooth a clearly terrified Eric. The next day we retrieved the vehicle at first light.

The only joy to be found was in camp. Her name was simply Happiness, and it suited her personality to a "T". Standing six foot one and a solid two hundred twenty pounds of hard muscle she commanded the kitchen like the professional she truly was. Every evening meal was a thing of wonder, but the real treat was our morning toast. Ok. I know it sounds a little strange, but you have never had Happiness's Wheat Bread? She would make, and we would consume, two loaves daily. We would eat them in our lunch, on the dinner table, and especially in thick cut, well-toasted slices in the morning, slathered in butter and topped with jam. We washed it down with hearty dark coffee. Two slices an inch and a half thick, crunchy on the outside, moist on the inside, and the honest best expression of the bakers art in the world.

Happiness gave up her recipe grudgingly, but her fondness for my devotion to the fruits of her labors finally won her over. When you wish to try it for yourself please follow the recipe below. Oh, and please think about the woman who crafted this simple daily bread in a wood fired oven as you enjoy every bite. Note: NOT gluten free!!

Happiness's Wheat Bread:

1 cup brown bread flour

2 cups whole wheat flour

500ml of buttermilk

3 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon salt

1 heaped teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Combine flours, add buttermilk and honey, then add salt and bicarbonate of soda. Stir until well combined. Spoon mixture into two, well greased loaf pans. Bake at 180C for one hour give or take a bit, depending on your oven. Let cool for ten minutes, turn out on baking rack. Let cool before slicing. Thick slices are the best!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a beautiful story with fine pictures. Thank you so much for posting it.
I think that we might be kindred spirits. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brian for the compliment! It is hard to judge reaction here on AR. Many views, not much feedback. There will be lots more to come, of days gone by, and today's tales as we spend another two months here on continent. Thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing, wonderful story well written.

Posts: 42342 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reactions on AR vary greatly, I find.
There are some here who will truly appreciate your quality posts. I posted a buffalo hunting story when I first arrived at AR. It went over like a lead balloon. I think I will try it again. It's called Abraham's Grin.

Where are you travelling now and what are you doing? Give us some more African stories, please! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ngruma:
Thanks Brian for the compliment! It is hard to judge reaction here on AR. Many views, not much feedback. There will be lots more to come, of days gone by, and today's tales as we spend another two months here on continent. Thanks again!

I think some people are trying to figure out if you are marketing pictures, hunts, wildlife tours, or whatever. It impacts how some perceive a post.

The photos are quite good and stories are interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All, I am NOT marketing anything. this is our last trip to Africa, and at the suggestion of many friends I undertook this "work" to highlight the people, places, and all that we find along the way. I have spent a good part of my life in Africa, on both sides of the hunting industry. See the home page and about page of blog to fill in some of the blanks. I have followed AR closely for several years, living vicariously through many of your published reports, so when I err please make allowances for my efforts. Thanks to all who comment - good or bad - it can only serve to improve the final product!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is our last trip to Africa

Hopefully it is not truly your last trip, but if it is may you have an enjoyable experience.

It seems as though I read you are spending 2 months on this trip. I once stayed in Zimbabwe for a month with only 12 days of hunting. My only regret was not staying two months.

Good luck and have a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody tried to make the bread that Happiness made. Bet it won't taste as good, there is something about being in camp and those wood burning stoves that make everything taste better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

I truly enjoyed the story. I don't usually reply to hunt report, especially African. But, I do enjoy them.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote